E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door Locks - Anyone had / have this problem?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
MontegoDad
Montego Daddy
MontegoDad's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Montego Blue
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Unhappy Door Locks - Anyone had / have this problem?

Anyone have this problem?

Last week my doors didn't open with the key fob. They lock, but won't unlock. Same with the comfort access features. They lock, but not unlock.

When I press the button, the lights flash 2 x like they are unlocking, I also hear a 'click' in the dash, but the doors dont' unlock.

I took it to the dealer, they replaced a fuse, then it worked. However, today I have the same problem. I can lock the doors, but not unlock them with anything but the actual key.

Fobs - don't work
Button on dash - doesn't work

Any ideas? I'm afraid it sounds like a freak electrical issue / short which is causing the blown fuse.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
ChadE
Major
ChadE's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i / ATR-72
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to ChadE
I had this problem, my fob would lock the doors. But not unlock nor would the button on the dash or pulling the handle inside. You could only unlock drivers door and that was done by using the key. Took it to the dealer and took them almost a week to fix had to replace all the locking actuators and reprogram the computer something went crazy somehow. Take it to the dealer is all i know to do
__________________
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
EDK99
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
935
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E85 M
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadE View Post
I had this problem, my fob would lock the doors. But not unlock nor would the button on the dash or pulling the handle inside. You could only unlock drivers door and that was done by using the key. Took it to the dealer and took them almost a week to fix had to replace all the locking actuators and reprogram the computer something went crazy somehow. Take it to the dealer is all i know to do
Exactly. Had the same problem. Replacing the fuse sounds like it did not fix the problem. Sounds like you need to get all the locking actuators replaced since that is what is blowing the fuse.
__________________
2007 e85
Imola Red | Black Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Navigation | Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
jonerik26's Avatar
Philippines
20
Rep
1,868
Posts

 
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: somewhere

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [4.25]
2006 325i  [4.00]
^^+1 its been a known problem... i've had to happen to my car as well, dealer has to change out the actuators
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
ranny3
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328xi classic
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

yep, same happened to me. Actuator was defective, at first they changed the fuse - but after testing it, it kept blowing so they changed the actuator. They only changed driver side actuator (main actuator? dunno...)

Kind of annoying problem, thankfully no one sitting in the back or they would've had to get out through the window.. or sunroof lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
flyer333
GSS CORP.
flyer333's Avatar
Taiwan
20
Rep
1,599
Posts

 
Drives: E90/E93
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

iTrader: (3)

yea i had this problem too, just take it to the dealer.. its under warranty
__________________

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
Italy
339
Rep
26,780
Posts

 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
just dropped off my car for this problem today.
:
There's like 50 threads about it
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
Italy
339
Rep
26,780
Posts

 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
Here . . . Because i'm Nice

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Door+Unlock
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
naz1981
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 3 series
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: dundee uk

iTrader: (0)

Smile central locking

hi

i had the same problem. i got lots of stories ... it was my general module which needed replaced and my door actulaters were gone and all my door needed stripped back and checked.

my doors would lock but when i went to unlock them the lights flashed and it clicked but nothing opened, lucky i only use my car so i managed to open the drivers door manually with the key but the rest would still stay locked.

but then i found this link

http://www.bmwgm5.com/


this is a tricky job and but it saved me alot of money and it has worked. the relays took a nightmare coming out ( a total of about 2 hours) but very easy to put back in place.


hope this helps
naz
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
evangellydonut
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

here's my history with them doors -
1st - 5/21/07 (22 months of ownership), 26,483 miles, Santa Monica BMW, fuse replaced
2nd - 7/11/07, 28,722 miles, Encinitas BMW, Junction Box replaced
3rd - 2/??/08, ?? miles, Shelly BMW, actuator was spiking more than 15A and was replaced in the driver side door
4th - 1/15/09, 51,580 miles, Encinitas BMW, all 4 door actuators were spiking more than 15A, and all 4 replaced.

Initially, Encinitas wanted to charge me $130 for the diagnosis of this problem, I told them they are one of 3 dealers who looked at it and didn't properly address the problem during warranty. Eventually, they waived the diagnosis fee and fixed it for free (very unwillingly). Then I called BMW North America, they said there's nothing they can do other than contact the dealer.

Both Encinitas' service rep and BMW NA phone rep gave me the same BS about how it's a very complex system and more than 1 thing could break. I am an electrical engineer and computer scientist by trade, and worked on satellites and UAVs, so I know a thing or two about electrical problems, design for longevity, and latent issues. So the example I gave the BMW-NA phone rep was this - If someone has HIV/AIDS and gets the plague as the result of it, he can be diagnosed for the plague, can have his plague symptom treated, but that doesn't mean it's the correct root-cause. Same thing in this case, if there's a problem upstream, which causes stress in all the parts down-stream, which results in latent failures, and the parts downstream gets repairs, it does not resolve my ultimate problem. Of course the service rep, nor phone rep understands this, so they try to repeatedly offer "2 year warranty on all parts REPLACED". I told them "no, you haven't addressed the root of the problem, there can and will be latent failures."

Long story short, I'm no better than where I started. Here are my options:

1. Find the southern California regional service rep (which the phone rep is unwilling to give to me, and the dealer service rep did not want to provide the info), and have him extend my warranty or
2. Find a lawyer and exercise Song-Beverly Warranty Rights. First occurrence of the problem was outside of the period stated by California Lemon Law (18k mi or 18 month), but Song-Beverly "applies for the entire period of your warranty." Even though my car is out of warranty right now, the problem was not addressed during warranty period. I have contacted a lawyer, he thinks I have a case.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
evangellydonut
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone willing to consider a class-action law-suit against BMW? Considering that this carried over from E46, this is ridiculous...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Z3shahzad
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 06 325i, 05 Cayenne
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fairfax, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Doors locking problem

I have the same issue going on. Im out of warranty!

How much do you guys think the dealer would charge to fix this problem?

I replaced the fuse but it keeps blowing after a few days!

Need some advise!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
BMW MotorSport
Banned
39
Rep
2,533
Posts

 
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal, Simi Valley

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW MotorSport
Something similar happend to NLAKIND were his doors wouldn't even open. It ended up being some burnt out fuses behind the glove box. VERY SIMPLE FIX.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
foca
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 1997 M3 Active TS, 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: west palm , FL

iTrader: (0)

add me to the list. 2006 330i without comfort access.

first it was a blown fuse. then everything was fine. now the drivers lock doesn't work. have to use key or double-pull from the inside.

it does vibrate up/down for a second after you hit the button. so it is getting the pulse. just not enough umph or a bad contact... somewhere... Gen Module?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY SCREWED THIS UP *AGAIN*!!

oh, and went to the dealer today. found out the first owner had work done to a front door lock also. there's that latency... they are not getting to the root cause.

THIS IS BS BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
hazzabejani
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: e90 325ise petrol
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dunstable beds england

iTrader: (0)

Had same problem with mine and bmw advised unofficially to replace the fuse no.57 i think from a 15amp to a 20amp to cure the problem. Apparently it's a common fault as some actuators draw slightly more current than others resulting eventually in fuse failure. If problem persists then new door actuators will be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
385
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

i had the same problem before but they replaced the fuse and it worked ever since
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #17
smifton
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 318ci (2.0)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somerset england

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to smifton
my Father is having this same problem....although the vehicle is out of warranty by two months...

anybody reckon there is a way to blag this as it is obviously a common fault?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
rambalu80
Captain
rambalu80's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I had the same problem and they replaced both the front and one rear actuator if I remember right.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
TuomoA
New Member
TuomoA's Avatar
Finland
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330dTouring E91 //M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

I also have this problem... let see if changing fuse 15A to 20A solve my case.
Anyone has price estimate about actuator change? Over 1000USD
? If somebody has same problem and fix in European area, it woulld be also nice to know.
__________________
BMW330dTouring M-sport (Sapphire Black)
BMW316ti Compact (Alpin WeissIII)
Ex. BMW325iA Sedan and SAAB 9-3 SportSedan 2.0T
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,516
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangellydonut View Post
here's my history with them doors -
1st - 5/21/07 (22 months of ownership), 26,483 miles, Santa Monica BMW, fuse replaced
2nd - 7/11/07, 28,722 miles, Encinitas BMW, Junction Box replaced
3rd - 2/??/08, ?? miles, Shelly BMW, actuator was spiking more than 15A and was replaced in the driver side door
4th - 1/15/09, 51,580 miles, Encinitas BMW, all 4 door actuators were spiking more than 15A, and all 4 replaced.

Initially, Encinitas wanted to charge me $130 for the diagnosis of this problem, I told them they are one of 3 dealers who looked at it and didn't properly address the problem during warranty. Eventually, they waived the diagnosis fee and fixed it for free (very unwillingly). Then I called BMW North America, they said there's nothing they can do other than contact the dealer.

Both Encinitas' service rep and BMW NA phone rep gave me the same BS about how it's a very complex system and more than 1 thing could break. I am an electrical engineer and computer scientist by trade, and worked on satellites and UAVs, so I know a thing or two about electrical problems, design for longevity, and latent issues. So the example I gave the BMW-NA phone rep was this - If someone has HIV/AIDS and gets the plague as the result of it, he can be diagnosed for the plague, can have his plague symptom treated, but that doesn't mean it's the correct root-cause. Same thing in this case, if there's a problem upstream, which causes stress in all the parts down-stream, which results in latent failures, and the parts downstream gets repairs, it does not resolve my ultimate problem. Of course the service rep, nor phone rep understands this, so they try to repeatedly offer "2 year warranty on all parts REPLACED". I told them "no, you haven't addressed the root of the problem, there can and will be latent failures."

Long story short, I'm no better than where I started. Here are my options:

1. Find the southern California regional service rep (which the phone rep is unwilling to give to me, and the dealer service rep did not want to provide the info), and have him extend my warranty or
2. Find a lawyer and exercise Song-Beverly Warranty Rights. First occurrence of the problem was outside of the period stated by California Lemon Law (18k mi or 18 month), but Song-Beverly "applies for the entire period of your warranty." Even though my car is out of warranty right now, the problem was not addressed during warranty period. I have contacted a lawyer, he thinks I have a case.
Man, I thought I was the only one. BMWNA told my dealership it's normal for the doors to lock when I want them to unlock, I must not be doing it properly, but the system is performing as designed. Think about how stupid that is, I, as a customer, must not know how a door handle works. I guess you have to say stuff like that when you designed something improperly and you warranted the thing against defects. Deny that a defect exists....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,516
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foca View Post
add me to the list. 2006 330i without comfort access.

first it was a blown fuse. then everything was fine. now the drivers lock doesn't work. have to use key or double-pull from the inside.

it does vibrate up/down for a second after you hit the button. so it is getting the pulse. just not enough umph or a bad contact... somewhere... Gen Module?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY SCREWED THIS UP *AGAIN*!!

oh, and went to the dealer today. found out the first owner had work done to a front door lock also. there's that latency... they are not getting to the root cause.

THIS IS BS BMW!!!
WTF that sounds like my problem and I have 13 mos. of warranty left. I guess they just have to keep telling me it's normal until the warranty runs out, and then they'd be glad to diagnose it for $160/hr.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
BMWNA
Private
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
WTF that sounds like my problem and I have 13 mos. of warranty left. I guess they just have to keep telling me it's normal until the warranty runs out, and then they'd be glad to diagnose it for $160/hr.
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
__________________
BMW NA Customer Relations
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST