E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car overheated

05-22-2024, 11:46 AM   #1
stylesp
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Car overheated

My car over got a high temperature signal and immediately after it said it overheated. I continued to drive for about 5 minutes at a slow pace no more than 25mph. I parked because I could smell coolant in the cabin. I got out and notice coolant poured out and was bubbling. I waited about 15 minutes and removed the cap and poured coolant in the reservoir because I noticed it was almost empty. A few weeks later my car over heated after I got an alignment. I was passing a car so I gassed it and then noticed the high temperature warning so I pulled over immediately this time but it still said the engine over heated. I noticed a trail of coolant so I waiting about 10 minutes before putting coolant in and noticed it was damn near full… I drove off and went home and while on the highway I got the high temperature message again but no overheating this time… I waited another 10 minutes and then pulled off and finally made it home. I don’t want to get a water pump as I just got one about 50,000 miles ago. And I was getting error code 2E81, I did some research and reset the code , then I bled my cooling system and the code hasn’t come back up and I checked my engine coolant temp and it hasn’t risen above 92 degrees. Hopefully I fixed the problem
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo1196.00
      05-22-2024, 03:01 PM   #2
stylesp
Rep

Update my car overheated again, I noticed whenever I go above 70 mph
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

WOW
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:33 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesp View Post
My car over got a high temperature signal and immediately after it said it overheated. I continued to drive for about 5 minutes at a slow pace no more than 25mph. I parked because I could smell coolant in the cabin. I got out and notice coolant poured out and was bubbling. I waited about 15 minutes and removed the cap and poured coolant in the reservoir because I noticed it was almost empty. A few weeks later my car over heated after I got an alignment. I was passing a car so I gassed it and then noticed the high temperature warning so I pulled over immediately this time but it still said the engine over heated. I noticed a trail of coolant so I waiting about 10 minutes before putting coolant in and noticed it was damn near full… I drove off and went home and while on the highway I got the high temperature message again but no overheating this time… I waited another 10 minutes and then pulled off and finally made it home. I don’t want to get a water pump as I just got one about 50,000 miles ago. And I was getting error code 2E81, I did some research and reset the code , then I bled my cooling system and the code hasn’t come back up and I checked my engine coolant temp and it hasn’t risen above 92 degrees. Hopefully I fixed the problem
have you changed the water pump ever ?
      05-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
stylesp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
have you changed the water pump ever ?
Yes 60,000 miles ago
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #6
rararat4
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i

Code 2E81 - water pump failure, speed deviation, speed outside of the specified range, is an early sign of water pump dying. Get a new water pump.

And, do not drive the car with the red thermometer warning on. Not 5 minutes and not at low speed, don't drive it period. You can wait until the car is really cold and then bring it home if you are not too far.

Running the car with the red thermometer warning on risks blowing the cylinder head gasket on most cars. I do not see how 2006 330i would be any different. The idea is that the gasket is eroded by the high temperature. If you do not like the cost of changing the water pump, you definitely will not like the price tag to change the gasket.
Appreciate 1
autoAER101.50
      05-22-2024, 04:44 PM   #7
stylesp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rararat4 View Post
Code 2E81 - water pump failure, speed deviation, speed outside of the specified range, is an early sign of water pump dying. Get a new water pump.

And, do not drive the car with the red thermometer warning on. Not 5 minutes and not at low speed, don't drive it period. You can wait until the car is really cold and then bring it home if you are not too far.

Running the car with the red thermometer warning on risks blowing the cylinder head gasket on most cars. I do not see how 2006 330i would be any different. The idea is that the gasket is eroded by the high temperature. If you do not like the cost of changing the water pump, you definitely will not like the price tag to change the gasket.
Thank you for the heads up
Appreciate 0