E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > New Hampshire Tinting Questions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
MikeyC
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern NH

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

New Hampshire Tinting Questions

Just picked up my CPO 335i last week and want to get it tinted.

Looked up NH laws and it says your front windows can't be tinted. Have any fellow New Hampshire BMW owners done it and do the cops hassle you?

Also, any good recommendations on tint places in the Southern NH area?

Thanks ...
MikeyC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
branabolic
Major
 
branabolic's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: so. new hampshire

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (5)

also interested in this. where u from mikey c and u comin down to natick saturday for the meet?
__________________
i'm not addicted to boost, but i sure am more fun when i'm on it.
branabolic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
MikeyC
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern NH

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

I live in Atkinson. Can't come to the meet, wish I could. I'm in the New York area for the next few weeks for work. This forum in great though, I'm loving the regional part.

I got my bimmer 2 weeks ago after searching for a few months for the perfect CPO. Couldn't be happier ... graphite mettalic, sport, premium, navi, cold weather, spoiler.

Now I know all the hype is true. Once you go beamer, it's tough thinking about being behind the wheel of something else.
MikeyC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
branabolic
Major
 
branabolic's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: so. new hampshire

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (5)

glad to hear you like the car man. im in windham so we're pretty close. if that salem nh meet ever happens that would be sweet for us because we're so close to there. gl with the car.
__________________
i'm not addicted to boost, but i sure am more fun when i'm on it.
branabolic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
Just picked up my CPO 335i last week and want to get it tinted.

Looked up NH laws and it says your front windows can't be tinted. Have any fellow New Hampshire BMW owners done it and do the cops hassle you?

...
I had my car lightly tinted when I lived in MA.

When I moved back to NH I actually got a ticket for having the front windows tinted by a Barney Fife Derry NH cop.

Most NH cops have nothing to do but write tickets to feed the coffers of their poor-ass towns and stare into holes being dug by the department of public works.

Tinting the front windows in NH is not legal and the police have plenty of time to enforce the law.
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Arustik1
HYEPWR
 
Arustik1's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 2,863
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiprete View Post
I had my car lightly tinted when I lived in MA.

When I moved back to NH I actually got a ticket for having the front windows tinted by a Barney Fife Derry NH cop.

Most NH cops have nothing to do but write tickets to feed the coffers of their poor-ass towns and stare into holes being dug by the department of public works.

Tinting the front windows in NH is not legal and the police have plenty of time to enforce the law.
Im surprised you didnt get a ticket in MA having the front window tinted?? Lucky!!
__________________
04 E46 ///M3 | OEM SSK | TCK | Enkei NT-03 | Star Spec - 275 |
Arustik1 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
alex2112
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 379
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik1 View Post
Im surprised you didnt get a ticket in MA having the front window tinted?? Lucky!!
I think he means the front side windows. It is illegal to tint anything but your rear sides and rear window in NH. In MA you can tint everything but your windshield.

I also agree with the statement that NH cops are really strict about things like this too. I regularly drive up to Manchester as I have friends and family living there and the cops are Nazis about everything. They look for any excuses to pull you over.

I even used to live in NH a few years ago and I have heard and seen people get pulled over for any and every mod on cars:
Tints = pulled over (both to check darkness and if you have your front-sides tinted)
No front plate = pulled over
6000k HID bulbs = pulled over
LED License plate bulbs = pulled over
Aftermarket exhausts = pulled over
"Blue tinted" bulbs (GP Thunders for example) = pulled over

Your chances of getting pulled over for the above things increase exponentially if you are driving through the "boonie" towns (Derry, Candia, Goffstown, Hooksett, etc.) The Barney Fife comment is accurate!
__________________
alex2112 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
branabolic
Major
 
branabolic's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: so. new hampshire

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (5)

^ hey you guys better come to the salem nh meet!!!! get your names on the list
__________________
i'm not addicted to boost, but i sure am more fun when i'm on it.
branabolic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
Diamond Skyline
Lieutenant
 
Diamond Skyline's Avatar
 
Drives: JDM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 568
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
I think he means the front side windows. It is illegal to tint anything but your rear sides and rear window in NH. In MA you can tint everything but your windshield.

I also agree with the statement that NH cops are really strict about things like this too. I regularly drive up to Manchester as I have friends and family living there and the cops are Nazis about everything. They look for any excuses to pull you over.

I even used to live in NH a few years ago and I have heard and seen people get pulled over for any and every mod on cars:
Tints = pulled over (both to check darkness and if you have your front-sides tinted)
No front plate = pulled over
6000k HID bulbs = pulled over
LED License plate bulbs = pulled over
Aftermarket exhausts = pulled over
"Blue tinted" bulbs (GP Thunders for example) = pulled over

Your chances of getting pulled over for the above things increase exponentially if you are driving through the "boonie" towns (Derry, Candia, Goffstown, Hooksett, etc.) The Barney Fife comment is accurate!
i think it depends a lot on the type of car you drive.. if it is a riced out honda or toyota then you will attract the wrong type of attention and if you have any of the above you will get pulled over for sure... but on a classy car like a bimmer with subtle mods.. i doubt they would even notice..

i myself live in NH.. drive an '08 infiniti FX with 20% tint all around.. front and rear LEDs and have never had an issue.. i think cops look for suspect cars (i.e. old, not well maintained, riced out)
__________________
'11 JCW Mini (Soon)
'08 FX35 Sport (Current)
'08 E92 M3 (Sold)
'04 G35 Coupe (Sold)
Diamond Skyline is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Skyline View Post
i think it depends a lot on the type of car you drive.. if it is a riced out honda or toyota then you will attract the wrong type of attention and if you have any of the above you will get pulled over for sure... but on a classy car like a bimmer with subtle mods.. i doubt they would even notice..
My e36 was not riced out man and the tint was very very light. Well under the MA tint spec which is barely noticeable.

I think that what they look for is sagging budgets. And money to pay for the brand new Mad Max style charger hemi's they salivate over. Gotta have that to pull over a mini van driving at 42mph in a 30 zone.

Poor town + bored cop = ticket for anything.
It's a form of taxation.
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
LED License plate bulbs = pulled over
I didn't know that particular form of LIGHT is illegal.
What's next, candle light illegal in restaurants?

WTF.

Inspection Sticker 3 days over = pulled over

One tail light out (after all stores are closed which is about 6pm in a booney town) = pulled over

Truck 1 inch too high = pulled over

2 years ago NH was worried about losing federal highway funds so they stepped up 'enforcement' of the only seat belt law (under 18). I watched a Nashua cop stand on the corner of a busy intersection and pull over every teenager not wearing a seat belt. The important distinction is other states ticket people for this only if they pull someone over for another violation. (MA law is this way)

Not wearing a seat belt under 18 = pulled over.

In Manchester they made "cruising" illegal for a while until a lawyer sued the city for blocking access to a public way - and won.

Driving down the street in Manchester = pulled over

When I lived in MA I visited friends in Nashua. Driving around in circles on one way streets because I took a wrong turn. Nashua downtown has nearly 100% of the cross streets one way.

Not breaking any traffic laws, going under 30 mph, just getting lost = pulled over

and finally

Having MA plates and a black car in Concord visiting my parents = Followed around by a bored Concord cop 2 inches off my bumper for 5 miles.

NH cops are very bad. Just plain hostile to motorists.
Don't tint your front windows
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik1 View Post
Im surprised you didnt get a ticket in MA having the front window tinted?? Lucky!!
Front windows - not the windshield
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
 
carrabassett786's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 328i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

NH Cops definately are crappy. I lived there for years and they would be obnoxious for any reason, for the lack of a better thing to do.

I wonder how 30% tints and a smooth front bumper will fare next summer
__________________

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
carrabassett786 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
My prediction:

30% tint + smooth front bumper + NH plates = pulled over

If you have out of state plates you may be ok.
Writing tickets for the multitude of technical rules in NH is easy.
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
T-MC-G
Captain
 
T-MC-G's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Trier, Germany

Posts: 671
iTrader: (5)

I live in VA right now, just moved down here last year, but I still have my NH plates on. I have 20% tint all around and got pulled over for it twice while I was back home for a week during the winter. They are pretty touch in NH about it. Also the places that inspect cars are not letting it slide as much as they used to.
__________________

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
T-MC-G is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
It gets worse man.

I pealed the tint off my front windows and no matter how hard I worked at it, I could not get all of the glue off. When I rolled the window down it got on the inside of the weather stripping so I ended up with a re-appearing / permanent glue smear.

sucked.
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
 
carrabassett786's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 328i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiprete View Post
30% tint + smooth front bumper + NH plates = pulled over
My NH plates are on my garage wall.
Live in Maine now... Hate SC too much to "live" here.
__________________

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
carrabassett786 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST