E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 Series To Be Built in US?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #67
preciseeye
Captain
preciseeye's Avatar
13
Rep
646
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Actually I like the Italian food in the US much better then the Italian food when I went to Italy

But I get your point.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #68
ages944
Captain
ages944's Avatar
Poland
41
Rep
990
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago 'burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Wow, way to have faith in the American workforce. I swear, some of you are really effing snobby.

Edit: No, that wasn't strong enough. What I meant to say is that some of you make me fucking sick.
let me get you a barf bag...


- I for one like the fact that my car was made in Germany by Germans. Not something I would base a buying decision on, but nice none the less.
__________________
BMW : Sine qua non

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #69
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Yup, there goes BMW... good I have another reason to move on to Porsches
After watching that NatGeo HD documentary on the SC plant, you better believe it (how an X5 can be 70k is beyond me). Though some of them (Boxster) are made in Finland? I remember my buddy going through that with a Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #70
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin906 View Post
The question is whether some of the savings will be transferred to the consumer.
That's not the idea behind building them in the US. Do you mean an X5 would cost 80k if made in Germany? There are no savings to be transferred to a US consumer. We're paying them 50k in USD. I bought my car in 12/06, let's say the price today is about the same as it was back then.

The dollar has lost about 10.5% of its value since then, yet you are paying them with those $. Today, you get bigger discounts (I only got $1700, what do you get today, 4k because the cars can't sell?), and 0.9% financing. BMW is bleeding, what more can they pass on?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #71
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

So hardly anyone has made a intelligent statement regarding this issue. First off the BMW E36 3 Series was built in the Spartanburg plant for two years along side the Z3. The X5 has solely been produced in the Spartanburg plant for worldwide distribution. Mass production auto manufacturing is like all other manufacturing; it is an engineered process, and the quality of the manufacturing process and quality of the finished automobile is highly dependent upon the quality (and cost) of the engineering that designs the process.

The US, because of the low cost of the dollar, is fast becoming a low-cost manufacturing center. BMW is just like any other business where the goal is to achieve "maximum profit" don't try and kid yourself that it has some "passion" to build the greatest cars in the world or some crap like that. A good product sells well, and the objective is to make a profit on the activity of selling it. The 3 series is BMW most popular selling car, so the more profit it can make on a unit basis means the more profit the company makes (for its shareholders).

Most auto manufacturing is based on system-component manufacturing, and little is based on company-proprietary processes. There are entire sub-industries that supply BMW, GM, Hyundai, Ford, ect. with manifesting equipment and processes that produce automobiles. The qualifications of the labor force has little to do with the quality of the car. The labor is part of the engineered process of manufacturing (and is the highest variability), the idea has been for last 100 years of mass produced automobiles to define each manufacturing job to the lowest (easiest) skill set possible so that it has the highest affect on build quality and lowest affect on cost.

Henry Ford pretty much developed and matured the process, and was quite successful at it. His employees were actually the highest paid in the industry (and the last to be unionized). Back in the day, Ford workers were paid an average of $5.00/day, compared to most of the other manufacturers at $2.50/day. Ford's manufacturing process allowed for the high wages because his unit production costs were a lot lower, allowing him to build more and sell more cars thus amortizing the cost of overhead over a larger product base.

The same is true today. The place where your car is built really doesn't matter, as much as the engineered process and the ability of the manufacturer to control costs.

Accept it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #72
hotrod2448
grand poobah
hotrod2448's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Besides being designed in Germany, you might be interested to know that much, if not all, of the manufacturing equipment is built in Germany using German (or European if German is not available) and then shipped here. Even test and QC equipment is generally German. About the only thing not German are some of the employees.

We sell some force sensors and data acquisition system to the plant and know of the difficulties in getting domestic equipment in there. What we sell them is actually Swiss but is as close to German as could be had.
My father in law works for Exide and they are apparently building some batteries for BMW now. They currently source most of this particular battery from Italy I guess.

What I found very funny was BMW insisting upon Exide building the batteries exactly the same as the Italian company even after Exide said they could do better. So, Exide built them just like the Italian company did. They bought a lot of the same equipment and received a bunch of samples from BMW to compare against.

Sure enough BMW found something out of spec and they naturally assumed the unskilled American work force couldn't build the battery to tolerance, only to find out none of the batteries they sent fit that spec either and the Exides matched the flawed ones perfectly. So much fine Italian craftsmanship and German thoroughness catching the manufacturing error.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #73
hotrod2448
grand poobah
hotrod2448's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I wonder how many people here think their cars were built in Germany that were actually built in S. Africa?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #74
scalbert
Major General
scalbert's Avatar
78
Rep
5,714
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Sure enough BMW found something out of spec and they naturally assumed the unskilled American work force couldn't build the battery to tolerance, only to find out none of the batteries they sent fit that spec either and the Exides matched the flawed ones perfectly. So much fine Italian craftsmanship and German thoroughness catching the manufacturing error.
Not surprising. We have had similar occurrences on test and measurement equipment. We have made workarounds to allow the customer to continue using the supposedly perfect equipment.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #75
Move.Over
Private First Class
Move.Over's Avatar
Netherlands
1
Rep
148
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Derwood, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I wonder how many people here think their cars were built in Germany that were actually built in S. Africa?
+1 or that their transmission is GM designed/engineered and made in France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission
__________________
2007 335I, " Gray", Black Leather, Step, Comfort, ZCW, ZPP, ED - Oct 5, Dropoff Oct 9, redelivery Nov 15.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #76
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
I hope this doesnt happen. Even though they are probably going to be just as good, i like knowing my car came from the heart of Bavaria and not some bumblefuck town in S.C.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #77
scalbert
Major General
scalbert's Avatar
78
Rep
5,714
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
bumblefuck town in S.C.


While it is not a multi-million population metropolis, the Greenville/Spartanburg area is hardly bumblefuck.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #78
Staszek
Schumacher
Staszek's Avatar
21
Rep
1,260
Posts

 
Drives: E38 740i, E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I wonder how many people here think their cars were built in Germany that were actually built in S. Africa?
Haha I was thinking the same thing.
__________________

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #79
f30er
Captain
United_States
18
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.00]
Actually heard a GM worker say this to me and a friend a few months ago....
"I love my job, all we do during our shift is smoke weed and drink beer at the plant."
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #80
DenverJayhawk
Major
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
19
Rep
1,218
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

I like the fact that my 3 was built in Germany, but anyone saying America can't design and build good cars hasn't seen a recent Malibu or Euro Focus. Honda builds cars in Ohio and they're great quality. BMW has been assembling cars in South Carolina for years. Just because something is built in Germany doesn't automatically make it superior. Look at all the quality issues VW has had over the last 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #81
Move.Over
Private First Class
Move.Over's Avatar
Netherlands
1
Rep
148
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Derwood, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
Only right-hand drive 3 Series are built in South Africa.

This show the general ignorance of people buying BMW's. They started exporting LHD in 1997.

http://www.bmwplant.co.za/Content/fr...af0gau02~6.htm

The majority of the E90's sold in the US are built in the Rosslyn, South Africa plant. It used to be 325/328 only but they are now also building E90 335i's for the US market. There are some threads on this board about people finding some South African Rands in their car.

Local dealer 335i build in SA

http://www.vehix.com/inventory/Detai...ookieSupport=1

However CarFax will tell you it was build in Germany, but is not.
A N in your VIN means it was build in SA


and all those SA build 328i's

http://www.mileone.com/new-cars/bmw-...=4%2c4%2c4%2c4

Last edited by Move.Over; 08-30-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Carfax edit
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #82
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
409
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: US/UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
While it is not a multi-million population metropolis, the Greenville/Spartanburg area is hardly bumblefuck.
+1

- J
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #83
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
simp0man's Avatar
Cambodia
26
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFatAngry View Post
Easy there. First not everyone around here is American. And second, when you buy a GERMAN car you expect it to be designed and built in GERMANY. It's not about the workforce, it's about paying a load of money so you get a car that was built by the exact same people who created and designed it.

Relax
I think this is the best statement. There is a horse and there is a donkey, which one are you going to ride?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #84
Seminole
Colonel
Seminole's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
2,032
Posts

 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977 N, 77.0366 W

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
I don't really care where my car is built. As long as it is well put together, runs good, and doesn't have problems I'm happy. The 3-series is an amazing car and I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to drive one just because it is built in the U.S. If anything, it gives me one more thing to say to the morons who bitch that I didn't buy American.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #85
AJerman
Major
AJerman's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AJerman Send a message via MSN to AJerman Send a message via Yahoo to AJerman
Wow, I don't think of seen a thread full of so many clueless people in such a long time. I think it's more just being blinded by arrogance.

America is consistently at the front of the pack when it comes to new technology and inventions, etc. Just because Ford and GM may pay minimum wage workers they found off the side of the street to build cheap designs means NOTHING regarding what can or can't be built here.

To say the factories in Germany are so much more advanced and impressive than a GM plant in the US is ridiculous. Do you think BMW is going to get GM to build them a factory here? BMW will design a new (or extend the existing) factory to their liking.

Then it's just a matter of hiring people who aren't morons, bums, potheads, etc to work in your factory, and pay them enough that they respect and like their job. To think that BMW couldn't create the EXACT same cars in the US as compared to Germany is absolutely ridiculous. Just because some domestic car companies build cheaper cars, doesn't mean the country has no capacity to build something nice as well.

So to all of you who say you will never buy a BMW built in the US, good for you, see you later! Me? I'll be enjoying the 3 week production time since I don't have to wait on a boat.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i: Jet Black, Jade Gray, Gray Poplar, 6MT - Stock... for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #86
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
Wow, I don't think of seen a thread full of so many clueless people in such a long time. I think it's more just being blinded by arrogance.

[snip]

So to all of you who say you will never buy a BMW built in the US, good for you, see you later! Me? I'll be enjoying the 3 week production time since I don't have to wait on a boat.
My sentiments exactly. Well spoken (er.. written).
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #87
GreenThree
Colonel
GreenThree's Avatar
52
Rep
2,070
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

(3 series) BMW manufactured in america = one less customer
__________________

2013 328i Xdrive | AT | Glacier Silver | Black Leatherette | Htd Seats | Moonroof
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #88
Palbay
Captain
Palbay's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
643
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW X3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Upstate,SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
Wow, I don't think of seen a thread full of so many clueless people in such a long time. I think it's more just being blinded by arrogance.

America is consistently at the front of the pack when it comes to new technology and inventions, etc. Just because Ford and GM may pay minimum wage workers they found off the side of the street to build cheap designs means NOTHING regarding what can or can't be built here.

To say the factories in Germany are so much more advanced and impressive than a GM plant in the US is ridiculous. Do you think BMW is going to get GM to build them a factory here? BMW will design a new (or extend the existing) factory to their liking.

Then it's just a matter of hiring people who aren't morons, bums, potheads, etc to work in your factory, and pay them enough that they respect and like their job. To think that BMW couldn't create the EXACT same cars in the US as compared to Germany is absolutely ridiculous. Just because some domestic car companies build cheaper cars, doesn't mean the country has no capacity to build something nice as well.

So to all of you who say you will never buy a BMW built in the US, good for you, see you later! Me? I'll be enjoying the 3 week production time since I don't have to wait on a boat.
I never realized my original post would cause such heartburn among the BMW folks.I'm amazed that someone would not buy a BMW because it was not made in Germany.I can't compute a statement like that.The BMW Plant in SC is the newest in the BMW system.As somebody in another post pointed out,all the equip in the plant is German sourced and some of the robotics are sourced in Japan (the leaders in robotic manufacturing).BMW routinely sends American employees to Germany on three year assignments...for the very reason most people are bitching on this tread....to absorb all things German about car manufacturing.Likewise,BMW ships German employees to the US Plant to cross pollinate German (BMW) best practices auto manufacturing to the US employee base.The top 8-10 senior manufacturing positions at the US Plant are mostly held by Germans...to the consternation of some US employees. The workforce in the US is non-union,the workforce in Germany is union...can you spell U A W.The US plant is every bit as German as a Plant in Europe,sans the soil it sits on.Thanks! PalBay
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST