E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New car and the dealer applied swirls?

09-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

New car and the dealer applied swirls?

Hi all,

Now that the dealers wax has well and truly worn off, I can see quite a few scratches, a lot of dealer swirls, etched bird crap and water marks..........

I spent a little while this morning on the bonnet (didnt have much time) using autoglym super resin, and finished with mequirs gold class wax.

The AG polish slightly improved the swirls, lifted some of the water marks, but deeper swirls, some water marks and etched bird crap remain? I did not apply much pressure, and used the mequirs foam pads and polishing cloths.

The wax has definitlely improved the overall appearance, probably by filling in the swirls, under sunlight it looks great, minimal swirls now and overall finish loooks 90% perfect!

I see some of you have had professional work done, but for me my motor is a company car, and it does quite a few miles per week.

Questions are?

Is it worth spending the money on a professional detail to remove the paint probs, if so how much would it cost roughly?

If no, could I imorove the above paintwork probs myself, and what should I use?

After educating myself a little on the detail forums, I now always use the 2 bucket method, with mequirs car wash and products

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I'd like to start anything now seen as the car has little contaminants in the paintwork and requires minimal claying.....???

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: .

First, congrats on your new car Hope you enjoy it to the fullest...

Unfortunately your car has suffered the same as almost everybody else, with a really poor PDI cleaning job. It's a shame they don't do it properly, and your car already has marked paintwork before you get to take it home!

Anyway, you've taken a first step using AG Super Resin polish. However, whilst it's a very mild polish, it works basically by filling and masking the swirl marks, so they look reduced. It does work on light marks, but as you've found out the deeper marks and etchings still remain. To be honest, the only real way of getting rid of the marks completely is to get a machine polisher to remove a couple of microns of the clear coat and thus reveal a flawless surface. If you've never done this before yourself, I'd suggest getting a professional detailer to do this.

In terms of the amount of work needed, only a very quick light polish is required, as the car itself has 'new' paintwork. I would estimate that a full machine polish, detail, clean, glaze and wax from a professional would be in the region of 350. However, this will prep the car for an easy life in terms of washing, as long as you look after it decently. It doesn't take much to look after - a good shampoo, a field glaze, and a tub of wax will do most of it. Twice a year you do a deep clean with clay bar.

What you have to decide for yourself is whether you want to invest the 350 into your company car - is your intention to purchase the car from the company afterwards? If so, then it's worth getting the paintwork done and protected now, as it will be in much better condition at the end of three years.

Have a look at www.shineondetail.com for more info on a professional detailer. This thread here will show you what Paul the detailer managed to achieve on my car, and how the paint can be maintained on an ongoing basis.

For the equipment you need to keep your car clean on an ongoing basis, have a look at the following from www.carwashnwax.com

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss 6.95
2x Lambswool wash mitts 6.99 each
Wash bucket and grit guard 15.99
Miracle Dryer drying towel 12.95
Elite super deluxe microfibre cloths (3 pack) 9.99
Chemical Guys Extreme synthetic detailer (to keep in the car) 7.95

Total = 67.81

If you use the discount code 'SEP10' before the end of September, you get 10% off the prices above, so that whole little lot comes to just - 61.03

For the wax, consider using a Swissvax product called Saphir, which is just 70 for a tub. The best one for performance and value is called Best of Show, which is 120 for a tub. Budget an extra 15 for applicator pads and a wax cloth. Have a look at www.swissvax.co.uk

So basically, for 145 you can be fully kitted out for the outside.

If you want a dedicated glass cleaner, then use the Swissvax Crystal (which is amazing) and is only 10. A wheel wax (pointless using Best of Show or something like that as it's expensive) can be got from Poorboys or Chemical Guys. For an interior plastic cleaner, use Swissvax Plastic Wash (20). And for the leather, get yourself some Gliptone G12 cleaner, and G11 conditioner (both from www.liquidleather.com)

Some advice - don't use a water hydrolip or hydroplane (one of those silicone blade things). The reason is that they have a tendancy to add faint scratch marks to your car as they pick up tiny specks of grit very easily. And don't use a normal sponge from Halfords on your car!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep

Drives: 320d 'Edition' M-Sport Touring

Thumbs up

Hi E92Fan,

Great info you have given here regarding looking after your ride.

09-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

E92Fan, wow!

Couldnt have asked for better advice. Thanks you!

I'll prob skip the prof detail then, ive already spent 1200 on extras and more than likely wont buy the car at the end of the term, the wife is considering a little chelsea tractor as her next car around that time?

I guess i'll have to accept the light swirls and keep the car waxed more regularly to improve the appearance.

Slight shame but hohum, ive learnt now not to let the dealer prep your car!!!

Thanks again for your time with the post.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
freon warrior
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 320i M Sport Vert Build Feb 08

The best product for 'hiding' swirls is Bilt Hamber Auto Balm. Lots of peeps on DW use it. Its only about 15.00 and will last ages, a real bargain.

Some before and afters.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...lm+swirls+pics

Would be perfect for your Carbon Black.
Appreciate 0