Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bye Bye RFT

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

09-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Wigster
Registered

Drives: 330d Touring

Bye Bye RFT

I hate admin of any sort, and can not really be doing with posting in web sites, so that fact that I have registered just so I can post on here should say something.

After reading many posts, and many articles, and talking to various experts, I have thrown my RFT in the bin.

I purchased a 330d Touring earlier this year purley for reliability, safety and comfort as I cover over 30k miles a year. I can safely say that it is the best car I have ever owned, aprt from the fact that the RFT make the car damned right dangerous should there be any road imperfections.

Prior to changing the tyres I suspected that the lack of flex in the RFT's was responsible for;

- Tramlining
- Skipping in bumps (V dangerous on corners, esp in the wet)
- Harsh ride
- Excessive tyre noise

I changed all four tyres (225x45 front and 255x40 rear), and the problems are gone. I dont mean better, I mean gone. Tramlining is fixed completely, and the car feels safe to drive in all conditions.

The RFT are a brilliant idea, I was genuinly pleased to have them before I owned the car. Until the technology moves on, I will never buy any more.

If you are undecided, or think it may not fix the problems, please do not worry. Removing the RFT will make your car as good as you believe that it should be.

Thanks.
      09-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant

Drives: my feet.

I totally agree. I got rid of mines over the weekend for countless reasons. What tires did you get? BTW, welcome and show your car!

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Flat Out 32 is offline   United_States
      09-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
iheartsole
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 335i coupe

Those RFT tires are hella expensive
iheartsole is offline   No_Country
      09-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
adamc514
Private First Class

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm getting my non-RFTs (ADVAN S.4s) mounted tomorrow. Everything you mentioned is exactly what I'm expecting. ::fingers crossed:: I originally associated the harsh ride and bump with the sport suspension of the 330i, but after reading around the forums I realized that this horrible road feel could be due to the tires on my car. Smoother ride and better grip sounds like a win-win to me. I thank you for your reassurance as I am very worried that it will not correct the problems described and I will be throwing away money.

Last edited by adamc514; 09-19-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: finished my thought
adamc514 is offline   United_States
      09-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Octet
Private First Class

Drives: 335i, E90, 08'

Send a message via Yahoo to Octet
RFT Tire changeover

Please tell me how you like the Yokohama's, I was thinking of changing over from my RFT's to the exact tire you got.

Regards
Steve
Octet is offline   United_States
      09-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
adamc514
Private First Class

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Octet I am still breaking the tires in so it's too soon to make serious comments about grip, but I immediately noticed that the ride is much more comfortable and quieter with the ADVAN S4s. I would say go ahead and pull the trigger. You won't regret getting rid of the Bridgestones.
      09-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
SixDegrees
Lieutenant

Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
So, what are you guys doing in terms of a spare wheel / tyre? The fact we have RTFs mean we don't spares.

I've heard that Spacer Savers from earlier models can be used, anyone done this? If so, you located it in the car or simply going call the Mrs to bring out to when when you get a flat!

Also, I hated the Potenza's on a previous car which weren't run flats, so I'm now even more worried about the RFT versions. Having only had the car for a week, and its my 1st RWD I've been taking it easy but winter is coming and I want some quality rubber.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
      09-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

A lot of us over the UK forum have changed to non-RFTs.. and the better for it.

I carry some tyre weld can thing in my boot.

Which tyres did you get in the end and what size are they?
      09-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
BMWDAD
Captain

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe/6mt/sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octet View Post
Please tell me how you like the Yokohama's, I was thinking of changing over from my RFT's to the exact tire you got.

Regards
Steve
pm me in a week, I am putting on the Yoko's advan 4 on wednesday. I did lots or research.
      09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
adamc514
Private First Class

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yokohama ADVAN S.4s FTW . Nah just kidding. I am definately enjoying my set though . My daily commute is much more enjoyable now. I went from the Bridgestone RE050A RFTs to all-season Yokohama ADVAN S.4s in OE fitment: 225/40-18 FR and 255/35-18 RR. I have yet to decide what to do in case of a flat, but no regrets on the swap. I'm sure many of you share the same sentiment with your swaps no matter which tire you chose.
      09-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
THR4OSU
Private

Drives: 2006 330XI

RFT

BMW really needs to admit their mistake on this one. Runflats should be an option only and if you order normal tires, a spare should be included.