E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Serial wifi adapter for PROcede

12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, R56 JCW

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Serial wifi adapter for PROcede

Well, I was looking at some of the threads regarding Eugen's BT attempt for the PROcede and how it's too slow for any logging. Ok, fair enough.

So I'm looking at this...

http://www.compusb.com/vsne123wl80e.html

I don't know if this has already been looked at, or how practical it is given its size. I searched and didn't run across anything about this, so I thought I'm going to give it a shot.

It does WPA encryption and can be hooked directly to existing tapped 12v sources. I think it will fit, perhaps with some minor mods to the case.

If anyone has already looked at this and found that it didn't work, then please let me know and I won't go through with it. Otherwise, I'll prder this thing up in the next couple of days and see what I can do.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Well, seems that no one cares really about this, but here's an update anyway...

The thing works beautifully. The little space between the ECU and the procede is a perfect home for it. It's a perfect fit with no modding to the casing necessary. I grounded to the procede ground and just tapped off the the same V2 +12V feed. It's an ad-hoc connection, and even though it supports WPA, my laptop wouldn't have it in an ad-hoc connection, so WEP it is. I'm not really worried about that piece of it since it's only on when the car's on and I'll be moving so...it's secure enough. I haven't tested out a lot of logging yet, but so far, unlike bluetooth, there's more than enough bandwidth and low latency to handle logging. The procede SW gave no complaints about connecting via this method. I uploaded a new map without a hitch and, in the limited time I was playing around, didn't disconnect, hang, pause or anything to that effect.

It's not the cheapest thing, but I think it's quite a nice thing to have for those that don't want wires or tear things apart to load a map or make changes on the fly. Setup is a little cumbersome, but it's not difficult. I played with this in XP, and I didn't look into support for Vista so...you're on your own there if you have that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Well, seems that no one cares really about this, but here's an update anyway...

The thing works beautifully. The little space between the ECU and the procede is a perfect home for it. It's a perfect fit with no modding to the casing necessary. I grounded to the procede ground and just tapped off the the same V2 +12V feed. It's an ad-hoc connection, and even though it supports WPA, my laptop wouldn't have it in an ad-hoc connection, so WEP it is. I'm not really worried about that piece of it since it's only on when the car's on and I'll be moving so...it's secure enough. I haven't tested out a lot of logging yet, but so far, unlike bluetooth, there's more than enough bandwidth and low latency to handle logging. The procede SW gave no complaints about connecting via this method. I uploaded a new map without a hitch and, in the limited time I was playing around, didn't disconnect, hang, pause or anything to that effect.

It's not the cheapest thing, but I think it's quite a nice thing to have for those that don't want wires or tear things apart to load a map or make changes on the fly. Setup is a little cumbersome, but it's not difficult. I played with this in XP, and I didn't look into support for Vista so...you're on your own there if you have that.
Nice writeup. I just read your post today. It really was easy running a USB/serial adapter through the hole into glove box. Took 10 min and was only about $25. Also, I would be a little concerned about your operating temparture as it says that it is good for 60 degrees celsius. I guess if you leave it in the ECU box it should be ok and not likely to get too hot there.

Glad you got it to work. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Wow...how the hell did everybody miss this? Did you play around any more with this setup? It is a much better solution then a serial cable through the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah. It works great. If I'm not near any configured wireless signals, it connects right up. By the time I get to firing up the app, it's already connected. My next trick will be to use a ground lead that's within the ECU box. There are plenty of them and really quite easy to get to.

As far as the logging goes, I went on a 20 min stint, pretty much logging the whole time and it didn't drop a beat. I'd say that it was pretty successful as far as the whole implementation goes.

If you don't want any wires (which I'd think is the whole point anyway) this is a great solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 STi

I think I'm going to buy this... still no issues Railgun?

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Nope...though my laptop is a POS and lost my config...and I can't apparently remember my wep key...but otherwise, everytime it was rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm gonna drive beside you with airsnort running, crack ur wep key, and format ur procede yo
      04-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
nuxted
Private
Rep

Drives: Sparkling Graphite 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
I'm gonna drive beside you with airsnort running, crack ur wep key, and format ur procede yo
see you in 6-8 hours.

btw, how do you like that asus mobile? i been looking at a UMPC to do the same thing soon when i get my PROcede/car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives:

believe me, you don't want your wifi connection to die on you while doing a firmware update...just run a cable to your glove box...i do that now, its perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

While static, there should be no reason for the connection to drop. Especially in such close proximity. I haven't had any issues yet. Not that I load maps constantly, but any connections have yet to have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
While static, there should be no reason for the connection to drop. Especially in such close proximity. I haven't had any issues yet. Not that I load maps constantly, but any connections have yet to have any issues.
Nicely done! Just beware that your WiFi *can* die from outside sources during the firmware update. I know that I lose WiFi any time someone fires update the microwave.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Railgun
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks!

Where that would occur (the updates) and the proximity of outside influences is distant enough that I don't worry about it all that much. Though it is something that should be considered.

Last edited by Railgun; 07-18-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:50 AM   #14
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I think I'm going to buy this... still no issues Railgun?
Did you buy it?
Appreciate 0