E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 106FA VS. 106FF. Has anyone compared the two?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
Chris J's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (0)

106FA VS. 106FF. Has anyone compared the two?

Are there any major differences in between menzerna 106ff and 106fa? I heard that 106FA works faster but have never tried it. I am getting ready to place my next order and want to know which one I should get.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
SpecC's Avatar
170
Rep
15,442
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
can't go wrong with either if you're looking for a good finishing polish with some light cut
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
zaxjax
Major
14
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Annapolis

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
Skip both and pick up the Power Finish


http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-po203.html
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
Chris J's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
Skip both and pick up the Power Finish


http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-po203.html
I like what that link had to say. Have you tried this yourself? If its true a product like this would be great for the customers that just want a one step process. But better for the detailer who could get a little more shine out of that one step. Has anyone else used this product? Its also on sale right now!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
zaxjax
Major
14
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Annapolis

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
I am impressed with it, and all the other Menzerna products.

I can use it with an orange pad or and finish off really nicely.

I use to use SIP then with 106fa or 106ff, but now I can use Power Finish

My new combo for serious paint correction is M105 followed up by Power Finish
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
SpecC's Avatar
170
Rep
15,442
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
power finish is very hard to get LSP ready on a black car
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
Chris J's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
power finish is very hard to get LSP ready on a black car
Its leaves marring or it just doesnt look done yet? I know sip to 85rd or 106ff looks very nice when properly done. Does it not finish nice enough? I hate marring! Please explain more...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
SpecC's Avatar
170
Rep
15,442
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Its leaves marring or it just doesnt look done yet? I know sip to 85rd or 106ff looks very nice when properly done. Does it not finish nice enough? I hate marring! Please explain more...
it does leave a bit of marring behind

the cut is between 106FF and SIP which is about the level of IP, but it finishes better.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
Chris J's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
it does leave a bit of marring behind

the cut is between 106FF and SIP which is about the level of IP, but it finishes better.
So its safe to say that this product might be ok for a light colored car such as white or silver but not for anything dark colored?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
zaxjax
Major
14
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Annapolis

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
No you can use it on an orange pad and then switch to a black or finessing pad if you leave any marring.

I used it with a rotary and did not leave any marring or holograms
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
picus's Avatar
Canada
55
Rep
4,176
Posts

 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Remember, just because something doesn't leave holograms on one car doesn't mean it won't on another. For example, finishing with an orange pad will work very, very rarely. I am not saying it won't ever, I am saying that the orange pad has enough mechanical abrasion that no matter how fine the polish you use, the pad itself will leave micromarring behind on anything but hard paint. If you're not seeing it it's possible the polish you're using is filling (as 106ff/fa have been known to do). I've only used PF a few times, so not sure, but it's not improbable. There are a bunch of threads on Autopia where guys have been bitten by Menzerna filling. Before anyone jumps on me, I still use SIP, 106ff, 8rd, fa, pf, FPI and FPII; but it's just good to go into it knowing the ceramiclear stuff (SIP, ff, fa, PF) can fill.

Anyway, back to the OP - there is speculation that FA is formulated for BMWs while FF is formulated for Mercedes. I don't know why that would be or what the difference would even be, but that's what some of the UK guys are saying. I find them to be pretty much identical.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
Chris J's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: Black BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
Remember, just because something doesn't leave holograms on one car doesn't mean it won't on another. For example, finishing with an orange pad will work very, very rarely. I am not saying it won't ever, I am saying that the orange pad has enough mechanical abrasion that no matter how fine the polish you use, the pad itself will leave micromarring behind on anything but hard paint. If you're not seeing it it's possible the polish you're using is filling (as 106ff/fa have been known to do). I've only used PF a few times, so not sure, but it's not improbable. There are a bunch of threads on Autopia where guys have been bitten by Menzerna filling. Before anyone jumps on me, I still use SIP, 106ff, 8rd, fa, pf, FPI and FPII; but it's just good to go into it knowing the ceramiclear stuff (SIP, ff, fa, PF) can fill.

Anyway, back to the OP - there is speculation that FA is formulated for BMWs while FF is formulated for Mercedes. I don't know why that would be or what the difference would even be, but that's what some of the UK guys are saying. I find them to be pretty much identical.
Thanks picus. always great advice.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
106fa, 106ff, menzerna

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST