E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V3 Data Logging - What to Look For?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
techforge
5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 577
iTrader: (2)

V3 Data Logging - What to Look For?

What's the best way to tell if I'm maximizing my V3 settings or going too far with different fuel grades? Should I increase the UT until it starts pulling timing and then back off?
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Sniz
105
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,569
iTrader: (1)

..
__________________

Last edited by Sniz; 12-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Sniz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
techforge
5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 577
iTrader: (2)

Oh I thought it would log whether timing was being advanced or retarded.
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Sniz
105
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,569
iTrader: (1)

Sniz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
Oh I thought it would log whether timing was being advanced or retarded.
It does show the amount of retard being induced but not overall timing. The amount of retard induced is static and not adaptive in the PROcede, it is based on boost and IAT values.

To fully determine when the octane versus boost threshold is reached, you need to know true overall timing. And I am still skeptical if the DME shows this including any knock retard.
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
fll335
11
Major
 
fll335's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, X5M
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (3)

What about OBII scanners that say you can see live boost, timing and other info?
fll335 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
chiefsotos
2
Second Lieutenant
 
chiefsotos's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335 E93
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece

Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
What's the best way to tell if I'm maximizing my V3 settings or going too far with different fuel grades? Should I increase the UT until it starts pulling timing and then back off?
Maybe it is sounds silly but what do you mean by saying "starts pulling timing"? Are you refer to the ignition or fuel correction?
chiefsotos is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
What about OBII scanners that say you can see live boost, timing and other info?
There is some debate on whether or not the OBDII scanners show actual timing or basae timing. In other words, does it show the timing being run with knock correction or just the base timing.

This should be determined soon and will be moot as the AutoEnginuity software will read the knock activity as well as knock correction values. This is ultimately what we want to see.
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsotos View Post
Maybe it is sounds silly but what do you mean by saying "starts pulling timing"? Are you refer to the ignition or fuel correction?
That is correct, when does the DME start trying to reduce power through ignition retardation. You want to run just at or below this threshold.
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
techforge
5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 577
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsotos View Post
Maybe it is sounds silly but what do you mean by saying "starts pulling timing"? Are you refer to the ignition or fuel correction?
Ignition timing. I was under the assumption that a good way to max the tune would be to run it up until it starts to knock and hence pull timing - then back off from that. But I guess there's no clear way to monitor that with what I have at my disposal.
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
BavarianBullet
4
Lieutenant
 
BavarianBullet's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Audi S5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 429
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
There is some debate on whether or not the OBDII scanners show actual timing or basae timing. In other words, does it show the timing being run with knock correction or just the base timing.

This should be determined soon and will be moot as the AutoEnginuity software will read the knock activity as well as knock correction values. This is ultimately what we want to see.
That autoenginuity tool an interesting tidbit. Have you tried it/recommend it? http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html


Does that mean the OBD tool from AE isn't available yet or that you've just not seen enough data from various sources to prove whether OBD in general displays the (net) total advance vs static ignition timing map?
__________________
2014 Audi S5 DSG
2011 335xi Sedan (retired)
2008 335xi Sedan (retired)
BavarianBullet is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
That autoenginuity tool an interesting tidbit. Have you tried it/recommend it? http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html


Does that mean the OBD tool from AE isn't available yet or that you've just not seen enough data from various sources to prove whether OBD in general displays the (net) total advance vs static ignition timing map?
The generic OBDII from AE works fine. But it doesn't provided the Extended data as per the below link. The last contact I had with them stated it should be ready this winter. I was going to give them an other couple of weeks and drop them a note.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/BMW-All-Systems-List.html
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
techforge
5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 577
iTrader: (2)

I don't see the N54 in their list. Am I missing something
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
I don't see the N54 in their list. Am I missing something
Correct, they haven't included it yet. It was supposed to be out back in May/June. It was then later delayed to September and now January. But they supposedly have read and reset the non-OBDII codes (OEM specific) back in the summer. They were trying to finalize the logging ability.
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
techforge
5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 577
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
But they supposedly have read and reset the non-OBDII codes (OEM specific) back in the summer. They were trying to finalize the logging ability.
Would that cover the manipulation code or no?
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #16
scalbert
57
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
Would that cover the manipulation code or no?
It should.
scalbert is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST