E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > anyone running 0w40 Royal Purple Oil?

12-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
Driver72
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Placebo effect, plain and simple.
You can't "feel" the difference between oil brands in your car.
5w30 in Mobil, Castro, Redline, Royal Purple, etc will all "feel" the same.
it's kinda of funny when people suggest they can "feel" the difference in brand oil when the viscosity is the same.
I'd be willing to bet even a professional engine technician couldn't "feel" the difference between 5w20, 5w30 or 5w40.

Now 0w20 and 10w50 MIGHT be able to be felt since the "thickness" difference between the oil may be a bit noticable and "take away" a few ponies with the thick stuff.

by the way, I tried Royal Purple 5w30 in my first 335i sedan.
I dynoed my car with 1200 miles on it with the OEM oil in.
Then at 1500 miles changed the oil. Drove the car about 1000 miles with the Royal Purple in and then redynoed at the same shop under very similiar weather conditions.
I was HOPING for a 3-5 rwhp increase due to more break in miles AND the addition of the Royal Purple oil.
What I got was a dyno that was actually 1.2 rwhp lower.
Obviously WELL within the range of what you can expect from day to day differences on ANY dyno.
Bottom line, the Royal Purple didn't "add" any power to my car since the OEM oil is also the same viscosity and also fully synthetic.
I'm sure if I had 10w30 dino oil in the Royal Purple might of improved it a bit.

But fully synthetic oil of the same viscosity will pretty much do the same thing.
And surely unless your body is as accurate as a precision measuring machine, there is no way you could "feel" or "tell" which brand oil you have in your car.

Just use a good name brand fully synthetic oil in your car and change it every 5k miles and you'll be fine.
      12-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass

Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Purple Haze is GREAT... Im running 0-40w Purple as well. Paid like $10 bucks a quart at autozone
exidisjon is offline   South Korea
      12-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
Mr. 5
Modder Raider

Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Well, when I guess I should have mentioned about "my experiences" instead of "feal."

When I used Mobil1 0w40, my oil temps went down and I didn't lose as much oil as the castrol 5w30.

I'm still surprised by the negativity of Mobil1.
I've used it for a long time and I have never had any bad experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Placebo effect, plain and simple.
You can't "feel" the difference between oil brands in your car.
5w30 in Mobil, Castro, Redline, Royal Purple, etc will all "feel" the same.
it's kinda of funny when people suggest they can "feel" the difference in brand oil when the viscosity is the same.
I'd be willing to bet even a professional engine technician couldn't "feel" the difference between 5w20, 5w30 or 5w40.

Now 0w20 and 10w50 MIGHT be able to be felt since the "thickness" difference between the oil may be a bit noticable and "take away" a few ponies with the thick stuff.

by the way, I tried Royal Purple 5w30 in my first 335i sedan.
I dynoed my car with 1200 miles on it with the OEM oil in.
Then at 1500 miles changed the oil. Drove the car about 1000 miles with the Royal Purple in and then redynoed at the same shop under very similiar weather conditions.
I was HOPING for a 3-5 rwhp increase due to more break in miles AND the addition of the Royal Purple oil.
What I got was a dyno that was actually 1.2 rwhp lower.
Obviously WELL within the range of what you can expect from day to day differences on ANY dyno.
Bottom line, the Royal Purple didn't "add" any power to my car since the OEM oil is also the same viscosity and also fully synthetic.
I'm sure if I had 10w30 dino oil in the Royal Purple might of improved it a bit.

But fully synthetic oil of the same viscosity will pretty much do the same thing.
And surely unless your body is as accurate as a precision measuring machine, there is no way you could "feel" or "tell" which brand oil you have in your car.

Just use a good name brand fully synthetic oil in your car and change it every 5k miles and you'll be fine.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
      12-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #26
GAaaAR
Captain

Drives: 2009 E92 335i

What oil does the manual recommend? 5w30?
      12-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #27
Driver72
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Well, when I guess I should have mentioned about "my experiences" instead of "feal."

When I used Mobil1 0w40, my oil temps went down and I didn't lose as much oil as the castrol 5w30.

I'm still surprised by the negativity of Mobil1.
I've used it for a long time and I have never had any bad experiences.
I've used Mobil1 for years in several cars and have never had a problem.
However with the profits of Mobil/Exxon these days I'm no longer going to support them, and go for a smaller company.
Valvoline's new fully synthetic is suppose to be really good, or BMW's own OEM oil which is Castrol will work just fine too.

Again, I think I read somewhere where they did tests of many different oils (including ones with Slick 50 put in it) several years ago and drove like 20 taxicabs around NY for a 100K miles each. Changing the oils every 3K miles.
A couple of the cabs broke down before the 100k miles but it wasn't oil related.
Of the others, after pulling apart the engines, their was very little evidence that any of the oils performed better than the others, including the car (or cars) that had Slick 50 in it.

And that was 7-8 years ago. The current oils are even better.
So unless you plan to drive a car for 150k+ miles doubtful ANY of the oils are much better than the others with the same viscosity and all fully synthetic.

The key is simply using the right viscosity for your conditions/weather/driving conditons, using a name brand fully synthetic, and changing it every 5k miles (no more than 6k IMHO) and you'd be golden as far as engine and oil are concerned.

Now if you race or track the car, a high quality oil for those conditions would be recommended too.