E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > '09 Sports Package without Shadowline

10-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #23
KM_SF
M

Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
please please, update this when you find out if you can get the factory to remove the shadowline from your car. I can't personally stand the shadowline and would rather not have to replace the trim myself when i take delivery.

If you can't get it removed, you'll make my year if you update with how expensive the trim pieces are, and how much of a pain it was to replace as i'll be doing the same if the factory won't budge on deleting the shadowline from my car.
I was unable to get it removed.

I pick up the car in Munich tomorrow and will be driving it around Switzerland for a week. Then I will get it in San Francisco at the end of November and will need to trade the trim with someone. What a pain!

I can't wait to drive the car tomorrow though!!!
KM_SF is offline   United_States
      10-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
KM_SF
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Skyline View Post
if anyone can figure out a way to swap trims without ruining the lower piece than be my guest.. i get my car in november with shadowline trim.. i want the aluminum trim from the pre-09 sport packages

Is there an issue with removing the lower piece?

I thought it was all pretty straight forward:

Here are the parts: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=51&fg=20
      10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #25
chrisE92
Brigadier General

Drives: Monaco Blue E92

I'm sure there are many members here willing to trade with anyone who wants to get rid of the shadowline trim
chrisE92 is offline   United_States
      10-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #26
ckimmel
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
marketing bs

Isn't it funny how we paid extra for the chrome trim on cars for the last 6 or 7 years and now we are paying more to have it removed?

It is marketing genius that with a few little nuances they can compel us to buy a newer model or upgrade to a more expensive buildout.

With small badges and some chrome car nerds can tell instantly whether or not you got the "sport" package. If you did not, CLEARLY your car is inferior. (sarcasm here) So, those of us whose cars have chrome will now look like we are driving the older models or those without sport packages and this is intended to make us feel like we should probably get the newer model.

I like the chrome trim, it is hard not to and that is why it has become so popular with a lot of manufacturers. BUT,... people are keyed into those differences and we as consumers pay attention to them.

I would have preferred the chrome, but I like the 18s as well, so shadowline trim it is.

How many of you look for the twin pipes on every 3 series you pass?
ckimmel is offline   United_States
      10-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #27
nidget
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 e91

Garage List
2009 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmel View Post
Isn't it funny how we paid extra for the chrome trim on cars for the last 6 or 7 years and now we are paying more to have it removed?
It's strange because BMW is the only brand I know here in Europe that is putting less chrome on their cars. All the other brands are adding more and more. For example, the e91 is the only wagon I can think about that doesn't get chrome for the lateral roof bars. As they always had more chrome on the 6 cyls than on the 4 cyls, I think this is part of the costs reduction process.
      10-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #28
Diamond Skyline
Lieutenant

Drives: JDM

Quote:
How many of you look for the twin pipes on every 3 series you pass?
i admit.. i always look for twin pipes.. and if don't see them.. subconsciously i just stop paying attention to the car
'04 G35 Coupe (Sold)
Diamond Skyline is offline   United_States
      10-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #29
JBiddy
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
i admit.. i always look for twin pipes.. and if don't see them.. subconsciously i just stop paying attention to the car
hahahaha thats so funny.....
i think a lot of us do... theres something about those twin pipes that makes us just
      10-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #30
ckimmel
Private First Class

Garage List
marketing and chrome

I admit, that when I see a 3 series I look for them as well and I am totally disinterested in the car unless I see split dual pipes. Generally, I would say that I have to look at a dozen or so 3ers before I see a 335.

I did the same thing when I drove audi S4s. At first audi drivers would look for the badge on the grill to see if the car was worthy of note, but Audi released their S-line cars and this reduced the exclusivity of the red badging. Obviously this was intended to allow a4 drivers to buy into the look and mystique of an S4 and sell them that extra option package. So, instead I would look at the mirrors to see if they were brushed chrome. Interestingly, I see more S4s per day than I do 335s?

Now in BMWS we are expected to see a car with chrome around the windows and have the same reaction.

By changing the trim slightly, they can sell us into a more "exclusive" vehicle and help us to reaffirm our self worth by being able to look down on those with chrome trim on their cars. (sarcasm) Probably we will start to think of the chrome as "out of style". It's gimmicky, but it works.

It looks as if the lower bilateral air intakes on the 09 335s will have a horizontal chromed piece and the 328s will have a black or darker piece. Did anyone else notice that? It will be good if this is true, because this will allow us to determine 335 or 328 from the front of the car and we can instantly begin looking down at that driver or looking up at their car. (again sarcasm)

So, not to hijack this thread, I think that the shadowline trim wil look great on the lighter colored vehicles, like white or silver where the contrast between the paint and the chrome is otherwise low. BUT,... on the darker vehicles, like black or montego, you want that high contrast to the paint color, which really sets off the windows and looks great.
      10-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #31
Diamond Skyline
Lieutenant

Drives: JDM

Quote:
I think that the shadowline trim wil look great on the lighter colored vehicles, like white or silver where the contrast between the paint and the chrome is otherwise low. BUT,... on the darker vehicles, like black or montego, you want that high contrast to the paint color, which really sets off the windows and looks great.
i totally agree. i have monaco on order.. and its a classy color and the chrome trim really helps set it off.. black makes it look dull
'04 G35 Coupe (Sold)
Diamond Skyline is offline   United_States
      10-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #32
vgame64
Colonel

Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Haha, same here!
vgame64 is offline   United_States
      10-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #33
bsd107
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i E90

I never had an issue with the Chrome, but in the US market "shadowline" has been seen as more sporty by BMW marketing. I went through the same thing with my E39 540i - the Sport Package added Shadowline just as it now does on the E90 LCI...
bsd107 is offline   United_States
      10-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #34
ckimmel
Private First Class

Garage List
335 or 328

It does appear that we will now be able to recognize a 335 vs a 328 from the front of the car. My 335, got it tonight, has silverish bars across the lower intakes and I believe that the 328s have a darker color piece.

Can anyone with a 328 confirm this?

Also the shadowline trim actually looks really good with montego. I am surprised how well I like it.
      10-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #35
Innerloop

Drives: TBD

I did an ED pickup of an E93 last week with ZSP, and it had chrome trim. What gives? I didn't require any change from the standard. Did someone mess up?
      10-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #36
KM_SF
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
I did an ED pickup of an E93 last week with ZSP, and it had chrome trim. What gives? I didn't require any change from the standard. Did someone mess up?
Looking at the configurator on bmwusa.com it looks like shadowline does NOT come with ZSP on the E93.
      10-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #37
e90fanatic
Absolute0

Drives: Has a Roundel

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
anybody want to trade?
      10-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #38
chrisE92
Brigadier General

Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
It does appear that we will now be able to recognize a 335 vs a 328 from the front of the car. My 335, got it tonight, has silverish bars across the lower intakes and I believe that the 328s have a darker color piece.
Can anyone with a 328 confirm this?

Also the shadowline trim actually looks really good with montego. I am surprised how well I like it.
it's true. but the silver lower grilles are ugly..
      10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #39
Deda
Major General

Drives: BMW X6 35d

same thing with x6..if you oreder sport package you get shaddow line trim,no aluminium...but in europe there is stand alone option to change it to aluminium for free.
Deda is offline   Croatia
      10-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #40
billspreston
damn you mod bug

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Send a message via AIM to billspreston
I'll trade if anyone is interested.
      11-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #41
Neon01
BMW Nut

Drives: 10 135i, 12 X5 35i

Garage List
I've got a 335i coupe with ZSP on order for ED pickup in late January. I might be willing to trade with someone in the MD area
Neon01 is offline   United_States
      12-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #42
bluemagic
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I believe if you check the DIY's 2 members attempted to swap chrome and black trim on 2006 e90's (one a 325i and the other a 330i). The member with the 330i found it impossible to remove the bottom chrome piece without bending it, which put a permanent crease in it. I don't know if the e92 will be any different but I suspect it wont.
      12-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #43
Phil G.
First Lieutenant

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I asked about getting ZSP without the Sport Seats, and was told there was no possible way to delete any items from the package....
Why in the world would you want to get the sports package w/o the sports seats? Yeah, I like the thicker steering wheel and nicer wheels, but the seats are the main reason to get it, IMO.
Phil G. is offline   United_States