E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMS alignment qoute True or False?

12-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Trbospnkr
Rep

Drives: e90

Question BMS alignment qoute True or False?

I just recently installed KW Variant 2's on my 335 coupe, I was calling in for a qoute on my alignment. Every place qouted me 120-130, BMS qouted me 150 for an alignment and another 100-150 to have my car balanced. So this would come out 250-300, I just want to make sure the balancing part is valid because non of the other places offer balancing the vehicle. He stated to utilize the coil overs you have to balance the vehicle and get an alignment to receive its full potential.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

Send a message via AIM to Saigon Send a message via MSN to Saigon
i don't think you need that, seems like they are trying to make a quick buck off of you. Go to Sears in Costa Mesa where South Coast Plaza is, look for Keen(cambodian guy, pronounced Key) he is a friend of mine through a friend that use to work w/ him. He does a really good job, esp w/ European cars. PM me if you'd like more info. It's 99.95 last time I went in and comes w/ a 6 month warranty guarantee. I will be getting a new steering wheel soon before that 6 months is up so they can re-align for free.

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
If you got coilovers then get the car corner balanced. You bought the parts, you should have it setup correctly. $300 is a regular price for alignment and corner balancing.

I would stay away from "generic" alignment places. While the techs themselves MAY be good, oftentimes the equipment is not re-aligned and if the equipment is off, then your alignment is off too.
      12-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

I go to West End Alignment in Gardena. He can do both a regular alignment, and corner balancing if you need it. He's usually pretty busy though, and sometimes 2 weeks out on appointments, but he's very good and very thorough. I've been taking all my cars to him for about 8 years now.

His prices are very reasonable, but I can't remember off the top of my head what the added cost of corner balancing was.

worth a shot, though there is a chance he is closed for the next couple of weeks for the holidays. 310-808-9233

pm me for more info.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: a lot

Corner balancing is a good thing to do. If I had coilovers again, I'd definitely do a corner balance.

+1 for Darin at West End Alignment in gardena. I always get my alignments done there and he corner balanced my car a few years ago, and it felt great. Quality service there with lots of attention to detail. I'll never get my alignment anywhere else as long as I live in SoCal if I can help it. His prices are better than what you were quoted too.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
You don't need a corner balance so long as your height are set properly. Only some of the most hard core track enthusiasts ever need a corner balance.

You can almost buy a set of scales for 150 and DIY anyway.
      12-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Trbospnkr
Rep

Alignment

Looks like balancing the car and getting an alignment is pretty much required if you want the full functionality of the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

On my track cars the price was almost always $350 - $400. A few times it went over if the guy was having a hard time getting it set. A good alignment shop is worth the money.
      12-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
Corner balancing is having all 4 corners of your vehicle balanced with the driver in it. Because every driver weighs differently, and corner balancing is geared towards that driver(maximizing car balance with weight of driver). Unless you are tracking your car, you do not have to corner balance your car, just get an alignment.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Trbospnkr
Rep

My ride is just a daily commuter from home and to work and occasional short trips. I don't plan on tracking the car. But if you corner balance it will this give you the correct height for front and rear? because I know for a fact when you install the coilovers you can never be precise on height correct? so corner balancing the car would be ideal right.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

you can get the car level on your own, but it can be tricky and frustrating. typically, if you lower the right front corner, it will raise the left rear and vice versa. Your best bet is to try and get the car as close to level as possible, and then take it in for your alignment. If you are getting it corner balanced, tell the tech to maintain the current height as much as possible (if that's where you like it). And just fyi, a perfectly corner balanced car may not be perfectly level.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

Quote:
And just fyi, a perfectly corner balanced car may not be perfectly level.
People often forget this point. Also good to remember to loosen the suspension bushings to allow the car to settle. Then tighten and fine tune the ride height/corners. Frequently when people talk about their car settling over time it is the stress in the suspension bushings being relieved. Springs don't settle, at least not good ones.