E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New M3 info !



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2005, 03:24 AM   #23
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL
Is the E93 the Coupe???
Cabrio
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 03:28 AM   #24
AidenL
Driving !
 
AidenL's Avatar
 
Drives: 520d M Sport & Audi S5
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

Ah, thank you..........
__________________
2011 520d M Sport - Carbon Black - M Tech - 19" Wheels - Oyster / Black - Dark Ash - Professional Nav - Bluetooth - Visibility Pack - M Rear Spoiler - Whiteline Rear Tails
AidenL is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 06:06 AM   #25
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

Can anyone suggest why the rear brakes are the same on the Sallon/Touring/Cabrio but different on the Coupe????
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:27 AM   #26
Tierfreund
Major
 
Tierfreund's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

The 335 is definitely on the road. But due to emissions, it might not be coming to the US. Last documents Iīve seen, the twin turbo N54 engine meets the same european emissions standards as the N52 non-turbo (Euro4), but not the same US standards (ULEV). There is a 2.5 Liter SULEV (Super Ultra Light Emissions Vehicle) Version of the N52 engine (designated N53) under development that, I believe BMW needs for the US market, specifically California. Possible 323 maybe.
So weīll have to wait and see wether the 335 really makes it stateside
__________________
No, not THAT kind of tierfreund!
Tierfreund is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:36 AM   #27
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,933
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Wow thats interesting the 335i is on that label. Thats interesting AND awesome, maybee I gotta switch my nickname because a 3.5l I-6 would be ideal to me (yea i'd rather have a 3.5l instead of a turbo 3.0l or whatever the turbo rumor is)

I love the I-6 more then I will ever love a V8 hehe

__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #28
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,933
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
The 335 is definitely on the road. But due to emissions, it might not be coming to the US. Last documents Iīve seen, the twin turbo N54 engine meets the same european emissions standards as the N52 non-turbo (Euro4), but not the same US standards (ULEV). There is a 2.5 Liter SULEV (Super Ultra Light Emissions Vehicle) Version of the N52 engine (designated N53) under development that, I believe BMW needs for the US market, specifically California. Possible 323 maybe.
So weīll have to wait and see wether the 335 really makes it stateside

so at this point, youve seen papers that say its definatly a twin turbo car ?
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #29
Tierfreund
Major
 
Tierfreund's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

Yes. Itīs a twin turbo (but not the usual twin-turbo setup with one turbo for 3 cylinders - instead itīs a sequential turbo, one small turbo for lower revs and one bigger turbo for higher revs, just as the 535 twin-turbo diesel engine).
Itīs also supposed to be a direct fuel injection (similar to the VW FSI system), so thatīs another reason why it might not be US-bound. Petrol sold in the US is rather low octane and high on sulfur which direct injection doesnīt like.
The current non-turbo N52 engine (330 US and Europe) is also supposed to be switched to direct injection without a power increase but for improved fuel economy (a further 10%). Again, Iīm not sure if the revised version will be US bound because of emissions and the petrol quality.
But the twin-turbo definitely is a reality. BMW is not even seriously denying itīs existence anymore. Sorry for those hoping for a 3.5 Liter Version, the engine block doesnīt allow that kind of displacement. Wether the car will really be called 335 or something else such as 330ti, remains to be seen. Those things are decided by marketing departments at the last minute. The parts stickers give a pretty good indication about it beeing called 335 though.

Overall in engine technology, the diesel and petrol engines are growing together in an effort to make the petrol engine more fuel efficient. Thats why more and more petrol engines are getting direct injection, turbo or twin-turbo setups etc. The disadvantage is though, the petrol variants are getting almost as expensive to build and as complicated as the diesel engines....
__________________
No, not THAT kind of tierfreund!
Tierfreund is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #30
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,724
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL
Is the E93 the Coupe???
That is weird its not there!
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
scottz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #31
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,933
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Intereting info Tier.. well I guess we shall wait and see if BMW can make a turbo feel like an N/A engine (probably their goal with this engine)
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #32
freddych
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

i dont know... i love the I-6 but the reviews on both of BMW's recent high performance V-8s have been heavenly (the M5 and the M3GTR).
freddych is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #33
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,933
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych
i dont know... i love the I-6 but the reviews on both of BMW's recent high performance V-8s have been heavenly (the M5 and the M3GTR).
yea, I defiantly agree with you. I just have a hard time letting go of things I love But I will make the switch to the V8, because I'm sure BMW will make it so good that I will forget about the i-6
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #34
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Intereting info Tier.. well I guess we shall wait and see if BMW can make a turbo feel like an N/A engine (probably their goal with this engine)
The sequential turbo first came out in the 535d, and you cannot tell that car has a turbo.
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #35
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
The 335 is definitely on the road. But due to emissions, it might not be coming to the US. Last documents Iīve seen, the twin turbo N54 engine meets the same european emissions standards as the N52 non-turbo (Euro4), but not the same US standards (ULEV). There is a 2.5 Liter SULEV (Super Ultra Light Emissions Vehicle) Version of the N52 engine (designated N53) under development that, I believe BMW needs for the US market, specifically California. Possible 323 maybe.
So weīll have to wait and see wether the 335 really makes it stateside
Here is the doc you are refering to
Attached Images
 
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #36
CC 330i
Captain
 
CC 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Can I have the "5" off someones rear 325 badge so I can turn my 330i into a 335i.? That's got to be good for at least 40 horsepower.
CC 330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #37
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,269
iTrader: (0)

Curious...Does BMW have an I-6 Diesel in development?
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #38
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Curious...Does BMW have an I-6 Diesel in development?
The have them in production ( for many years )

530d 535d
730d

And from September 330d
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #39
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,269
iTrader: (0)

Ohh .ok..for some reason I thought the current diesel was a 4 banger. silly me.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #40
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Ohh .ok..for some reason I thought the current diesel was a 4 banger. silly me.
The 320d is
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #41
freddych
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
yea, I defiantly agree with you. I just have a hard time letting go of things I love But I will make the switch to the V8, because I'm sure BMW will make it so good that I will forget about the i-6
they probably will. i can't wait for the new M3 to come out, the E90 has been growing on me really fast, im starting to like it alot! a black E90 with gold LM's would look so sick i think.
freddych is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #42
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Yes. Itīs a twin turbo (but not the usual twin-turbo setup with one turbo for 3 cylinders - instead itīs a sequential turbo, one small turbo for lower revs and one bigger turbo for higher revs, just as the 535 twin-turbo diesel engine).
Itīs also supposed to be a direct fuel injection (similar to the VW FSI system), so thatīs another reason why it might not be US-bound. Petrol sold in the US is rather low octane and high on sulfur which direct injection doesnīt like.
The current non-turbo N52 engine (330 US and Europe) is also supposed to be switched to direct injection without a power increase but for improved fuel economy (a further 10%). Again, Iīm not sure if the revised version will be US bound because of emissions and the petrol quality.
But the twin-turbo definitely is a reality. BMW is not even seriously denying itīs existence anymore. Sorry for those hoping for a 3.5 Liter Version, the engine block doesnīt allow that kind of displacement. Wether the car will really be called 335 or something else such as 330ti, remains to be seen. Those things are decided by marketing departments at the last minute. The parts stickers give a pretty good indication about it beeing called 335 though.

Overall in engine technology, the diesel and petrol engines are growing together in an effort to make the petrol engine more fuel efficient. Thats why more and more petrol engines are getting direct injection, turbo or twin-turbo setups etc. The disadvantage is though, the petrol variants are getting almost as expensive to build and as complicated as the diesel engines....
BMW NA could fill the gap left by the Turbo 335i with a small V8 of 3.5 litres? This is an old rumour.
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #43
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

I've tried to translate the NG6 document to better understand it. See inserts below.

Looks like the current N52 engine, with Valvetronic, gave us 12% better mpg.

Also looks like N53, with Direct Injection, will give another 20%. Nice!

What does ATL stand for? Turbo?

Looks like there are two possible 323 engines - N51 to meet US SULEV II - I'd say for Califonia and N52 with 130kW for elsewhere?

The N52 and N52 should be with us in June 2006.

This document is from July 2003 so things may have changes!
Attached Images
 
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #44
Minarets
Private
 
Drives: maxima
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: nashville

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

i am kinda surprised that someone who can afford a M3...what 55k+?
would buy a 330i or 325i?

i figuer if you can afford the M3 yu would buy a more performance oreinted car...to begin with
Minarets is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST