E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By Bimmer325 on 08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
too bad, i already have it since day 1... cant join in the DIY....
By Mixx2000 on 08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
JD, thanks for updating us...we appreciate the attention

No problem guys.
By KL2DC on 08-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx2000
No problem guys.

Hmmmm...so what other 'forbidden' OEM parts/accessories can you get for us cheaply
By Mixx2000 on 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
We got a part number from a picture of the carbon fiber intake manifold on the 3 liter twin turbo six stuffed in Paul Cain's 2002 in July's Roundel, but sadly we could not order the part.

So it depends. Like I said, rarely do they forbid a part for our market, all I can do is try. If you order it, and it shows up, its yours. I don't charge the card until I receive the part. If you have a number I'll give it a shot. Happy hunting. -JD
By turpiwa on 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx2000
We got a part number from a picture of the carbon fiber intake manifold on the 3 liter twin turbo six stuffed in Paul Cain's 2002 in July's Roundel, but sadly we could not order the part.

So it depends. Like I said, rarely do they forbid a part for our market, all I can do is try. If you order it, and it shows up, its yours. I don't charge the card until I receive the part. If you have a number I'll give it a shot. Happy hunting. -JD
I wnt tthe Powerplant from a 335 - anyone got a part number
By Josh49 on 08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa
I wnt tthe Powerplant from a 335 - anyone got a part number
Why shoot so low.. Why not get the M5 motor?
By Chesmu on 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM
FORBIDDEN PARTS I WANT:
1) Super Turbo Boost (like Knight Rider)
2) Cannon
3) Lasers... very powerful lasers
4) A Bond girl.... not a bound girl.... A Bond girl
5) OK.... a bound girl
6) ........
By Sho on 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM
I ordered mine this morning, and spoke with JD. He is sure very profession. Hopefully, the part will show up at my door in 10 days.
By Josh49 on 08-16-2006, 07:04 AM
What type of blade was used to remove the trim piece. I bought a plastic 1.5 and 2 inch spackle blade and just tried using that.. I thought it'd be soft enough to not damage anything and strong enough to pry it off. That trim piece (I found) is on there incredibly tight. Long story short, towards the bottom of the plastic, a piece broke off in the shape of a knife, and went straight into the top of one of my fingers. I didn't think I was stressing the plastic as much as I was. Maybe I'll swing by the store and pick up a metal blade. I assume as long as it's 1.5 inches or so it should spread out the force some. I just don't want to marr the leather..

Leave some advice and a quart of blood..

Thanks,
J49
By Josh49 on 08-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Okay newer, smarter idea, the above post woke me up -

Took .020" shim stock, cut two pieces about the size of playing cards. Rounded all edges, rounded and removed corners. Had to make a little bit more narrow, then regrinded it.

Put the two shims between the aluminum and leather no problem. That way anything stiff I put between the two shims to pry would only push against/scratch the shims, not the leather and aluminum. Pried a little, twisted a little, to my surprise the aluminum piece came off nicely now. Much, much nicer. Did not need anything between the shims, the shims alone did the job. Pulled out the bottom piece, replaced the switch, no problems at all. Put everything back in solidly, smiled at a job well done. Before I put back the aluminum trim piece I turned on the car and tested it out. It is bright and sunny out and hard to tell, but it is obvious they are working when you create a shadow over it. Put the aluminum trim piece back on, pushed it in solidly, sat back and smiled again. Tested the car one more time, noticed how the icon comes up on the screen which is sweet, and was done. 100% perfect job, no dings, burs, marrs in leather, etc. Total working time with the right tools, just under 10 minutes. Incredibly happy, I've wanted rear fog lights on this car before I ordered it..

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in doing this...

A big thumbs up to Brian Lay for this mod..

PS. Forgot to mention I put a slight radius in the two shims to match the contour of that piece..
By turpiwa on 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Looks like my oswitch has been despatched fromCrown parts.
By nyc3r on 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
So where did you guys order yours from?
Josh49, do you have pic of the installation process/ tools?
By SoYank on 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
you guys in europe get all the cool things! but i see you listed the rear fog lamps as a mod. so it's not standard?
It's a US spec car so it wasn't standard. I had to have it modded to meet the MOT regulations. I've very happy it was a simple R&R and not an auxiliary lamp hanging down off the rear bumper.
By jbblack on 08-16-2006, 11:59 AM
install of rear fog switch

Picks are at the start of this thread.
Tools used by folks are listed above in the thread.

http://parts.crownauto.com is where folks are ordering from - they are excellent!

Ordered mine today.
Cheers,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3r
So where did you guys order yours from?
Josh49, do you have pic of the installation process/ tools?
By BzsBimmer on 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49

Took .020" shim stock, cut two pieces about the size of playing cards. Rounded all edges, rounded and removed corners. Had to make a little bit more narrow, then regrinded it.

Put the two shims between the aluminum and leather no problem. That way anything stiff I put between the two shims to pry would only push against/scratch the shims, not the leather and aluminum. Pried a little, twisted a little, to my surprise the aluminum piece came off nicely now. Much, much nicer. Did not need anything between the shims, the shims alone did the job. Pulled out the bottom piece, replaced the switch, no problems at all. Put everything back in solidly, smiled at a job well done. Before I put back the aluminum trim piece I turned on the car and tested it out. It is bright and sunny out and hard to tell, but it is obvious they are working when you create a shadow over it. Put the aluminum trim piece back on, pushed it in solidly, sat back and smiled again. Tested the car one more time, noticed how the icon comes up on the screen which is sweet, and was done. 100% perfect job, no dings, burs, marrs in leather, etc. Total working time with the right tools, just under 10 minutes. Incredibly happy, I've wanted rear fog lights on this car before I ordered it..

PS. Forgot to mention I put a slight radius in the two shims to match the contour of that piece..
By mosport70 on 08-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49

Please post a pic of your tool.... that didn't come out right, did it?

Oh well, just post it.
By rolling18 on 08-23-2006, 12:53 AM
just ordered mine! yee haww!
By Chesmu on 08-23-2006, 05:58 PM
i used a butter knife. seriously. it worked fine and my trim is undamaged.
By shragon on 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
i used a butter knife. seriously. it worked fine and my trim is undamaged.
lol, i was thinking about using one too. i'll probably try that when i get around to doing mine.
By ZuerstBMW on 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I just received my switch today. Now that was fast. Now the install.
By turpiwa on 08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
I just received my switch today. Now that was fast. Now the install.
Got mine today too. Seriously - 10 mins max

Just use the screwdriver from the tool kit to get the trim removal started ten gently pry it off the rest of the way with your hands.

Just watch that tricky little grey plug lock - it swings to the rear - min is in 2 pieces now - too bad ( my internet connection was down when I tried to check out the tip at the at the beginning of this thread and I was too impatient to wait)
By 18LLC on 08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
how long did you wait for your shipment? if you guys don't mind me to ask? thx.
Comment