E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > Debadging in Germany



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
13

 
mroach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts


Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mroach
Debadging in Germany

One of the things I've noticed while driving around Germany is that debadging seems to be very popular. Here in the US it's almost non-existent, so the lack of model badging really stood out.

Is not having the car badged a delivery option at the dealer or are these people actually doing it themselves? It seemed common on all types of cars, but primarily BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. I guess VW as well now that I think of it.

Why is debadging so popular?
__________________
2006 E90 330i / Arctic Metallic / 6MT / Premium / Comfort Acces / Cold Weather / Logic7 / Aluminium Trim / Bluetooth / Black Lines / Euro fog
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
28

 
trixman's Avatar
 
Drives: A Rental
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Creepy Crawley


Posts: 1,270
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Didn't realise it was just a European thing. You'll find just a handful of cars badged up here, not entirely sure why, I've always done it because people are jealous g*ts and tend to key your car if they know its the 'top of the range' model (we have many more petrol and diesel variations of 3 series than the states).

Vice versa, people with the lower range models want people to confuse it with the more expensive ones, by buying the aero-package, wheels and de-badging.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
13

 
mroach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts


Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mroach
I figured it might be something along those lines which are the typical reasons for debadging; I was just surprised by the volume.

I might do mine at some point if I can figure out how to do it without ruining the paint. I think it looks cleaner without the badge.
__________________
2006 E90 330i / Arctic Metallic / 6MT / Premium / Comfort Acces / Cold Weather / Logic7 / Aluminium Trim / Bluetooth / Black Lines / Euro fog
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
SC335
Can't stop modding
United_States
7

 
SC335's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 AW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stafford, VA


Posts: 184
iTrader: (4)

I am in the military and stationed in Germany. They asked me upon receiving my car if I wanted to de-badge it. And after talking with my friends when they received there vehicle, they asked them the same thing prior to receiving the car off the showroom.
__________________
AW/CR/Grey Poplar | Falken | K&W | JB3 | AFE | Spearco3 | Bastuck | Vorsteiner | Forge | BMW SSK | CDV | Matte Black Grill/Window Trim | ACS | M3 misc interior accessories | CF Roundels
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
RDHTran
Second Lieutenant
23

 
RDHTran's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 e90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland


Posts: 227
iTrader: (3)

hey, i have family in germany so im there about every three years. That is one thing I did notice. I actually noticed this more with M badge vehicles and wonder why they took their badges off. If you had a M wouldnt you want that thing to shine? I asked my cousin why they took off there badges and he said that they dont want people to know they have money. I dont know if this is actually true sounds a little silly to me but thats what he said.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
13

 
mroach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts


Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mroach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtran View Post
hey, i have family in germany so im there about every three years. That is one thing I did notice. I actually noticed this more with M badge vehicles and wonder why they took their badges off. If you had a M wouldnt you want that thing to shine? I asked my cousin why they took off there badges and he said that they dont want people to know they have money. I dont know if this is actually true sounds a little silly to me but thats what he said.
Oh right I forgot Europeans have been brainwashed to believe that wealth is theft from society and is shameful.
__________________
2006 E90 330i / Arctic Metallic / 6MT / Premium / Comfort Acces / Cold Weather / Logic7 / Aluminium Trim / Bluetooth / Black Lines / Euro fog
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
13

 
hanmaas's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europe


Posts: 577
iTrader: (0)

Eh not really, the problem is destructive envy. Apart from that, a lot of people including myself simply like the clean look and favor not having their trunk clogged up with letter and numbers. I know what car I drive, I don't have the need to ensure that others do too.
__________________

Last edited by hanmaas; 01-21-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
35

 
rsyed's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vienna / AUSTRIA


Posts: 555
iTrader: (1)

People should care less whether you have a 316i or a 330i... The tailpipes usually give away which group you belong to: the 3 series has 3 groups:
1) single exhaust left side: 4 cylinder petrol and diesle
2) dual exhaust left side: all 6 cylinder diesels and petrol except 335d/i
3) dual exhaulst left and right: reserved for the best of the best: 335s only..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
E91_E88_E21
Major
Germany
26

 
E91_E88_E21's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 m-sport, E88 m-sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Germany


Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Eh not really, the problem is destructive greed. Apart from that, a lot of people including myself simply like the clean look and favor not having their trunk clogged up with letter and numbers. I know what car I drive, I don't have the need to ensure that others do too.
exactly your right > me too
__________________
Freude ist BMW
E91 SG LCI m-sport,E88 AW m-sport
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
E91_E88_E21
Major
Germany
26

 
E91_E88_E21's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 m-sport, E88 m-sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Germany


Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
People should care less whether you have a 316i or a 330i... The tailpipes usually give away which group you belong to: the 3 series has 3 groups:
1) single exhaust left side: 4 cylinder petrol and diesle
2) dual exhaust left side: all 6 cylinder diesels and petrol except 335d/i
3) dual exhaulst left and right: reserved for the best of the best: 335s only..
that´s it, if someone is car enthusiastic he know what car it is without a number on the trunk
__________________
Freude ist BMW
E91 SG LCI m-sport,E88 AW m-sport
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
16

 
Geoffo's Avatar
 
Drives: Something else..
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Around the fur


Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Eh not really, the problem is destructive envy. Apart from that, a lot of people including myself simply like the clean look and favor not having their trunk clogged up with letter and numbers. I know what car I drive, I don't have the need to ensure that others do too.
I agree, It just looks much better without all the badges on the trunk.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
YOU GUYS ARE TWISTED!!!...lol...a midget!!!....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
remmib
General
Norway
401

 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway


Posts: 26,227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroach View Post
One of the things I've noticed while driving around Germany is that debadging seems to be very popular. Here in the US it's almost non-existent, so the lack of model badging really stood out.

Is not having the car badged a delivery option at the dealer or are these people actually doing it themselves? It seemed common on all types of cars, but primarily BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. I guess VW as well now that I think of it.

Why is debadging so popular?
It's a dealer option, so you don't have to debadge it youself.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
35

 
rsyed's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vienna / AUSTRIA


Posts: 555
iTrader: (1)

when you order your car, it is option code 320...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Chriz3586
The New German Guy
Germany
10

 
Chriz3586's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92 335i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany


Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Chriz3586 Send a message via Skype™ to Chriz3586
the main reason here in germany is grudge...people are so extremely jealous in this country

and in my personal oppinion i think it looks better without the badge, it's my 3rd bmw now (had e46 320d, e87 120d), always removed it
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST