E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How many have had a break in time?

02-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Actually there is better (IMHO) alternative to those 2 techniques. It is the Aggressive break in. You do not beat the car( drive it like you stole it) but you do drive drive it aggressively and take the engine to the redline from day #1. That does not mean drag race like runs to the redline. The engine CAN be taken to the redline(IMHO Should) in a gradual manner followed by coasting back to lower RPMs by engine braking. The engine braking is most important in insuring the piston rings seat. If your waiting 1200miles for you piston rings to seat, you are waiting to long. ESPECIALLY in the N54 engine with cast iron cylinder sleeves. Alusil linings will take longer. Check out Motoman http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. Some will discredit this and put it down. Those of us who have followed this technique know better. But how could we know better than the BMW engineers? Because we are concerned about have the engine break in and pistons seat 100%. BMW engineers are thinking about how much it will cost BMW to replace an engine if someone gets TOO OVERZELOUS during the break in and trashes the engine. If the engine is going to, blow, don't you want to have it happen right away ? BMW doesn't want it to happen while it is under warranty.
You present an interesting theory. But it seems to me that BMW has the most to gain by having us break in our engines in a way that maximizes performance, reliability and longevity.

Granted -- all engineering involves trade-offs. It's in BWM's interest to avoid blown engines during the warranty period and afterwards. Therefore, their recommendations are probably on the conservative side. But if we could obtain significantly better performance by following a more aggressive but safe break-in process, it's in BMW's interest to recommend it. BMW spends billions of dollars on R&D trying to maximize performance, reliability, economy and longevity. Wouldn't they change a few words in the owner's manual if it could get us signficant performance gains?

Why would a company like BMW invent and continually improve the sports sedan and then give us bad advice on how to break it in?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
galahad05
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '07 335i e90

liability
      02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #25
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

The factory told me 1000 miles without breaking 4000 RPM or 100 MPH. I did that in the forst 36 hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: avoiding the potholes

don't think bring the engine above 4000rpms will do any harm, just drive it smoothly and fluid (especially if you have a manual).
Appreciate 0