E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > help with: 335d drive-train transplanted into concept car



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
jamisonbruch
Registered
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

help with: 335d drive-train transplanted into concept car

Hello all, my first post... hopefully one that will stimulate the synapses, cuz I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I need to remove the power train of a beautiful, zero-mile, '09 335d, and install it into a concept car. Certifications/regulations require the power train to be complete with all emissions etc. BUT, nothing else (abs, stability, stereo, theft, cheek warmers, etc etc etc) is needed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of hardware/software/someone who might know the E90 bus system/network inside and out? How to prune things off and not trigger "limp mode" or accidentally kill it outright.

Jamison
jamisonbruch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
getInline
Lieutenant
 
getInline's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parts Unknown

Posts: 413
iTrader: (1)

I'm thinking the Bavarian Technic guys might be your best bet....sounds very interesting, best of luck to you.
getInline is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
jamisonbruch
Registered
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

good call

I spoke with a software guy there, he recommended I call back next week when the automotive network guy returns.

Their tool is for diagnostics... from what I can tell it would be a really great tool (wow, and reasonably priced) for telling me why the motor/trans ECU is unhappy, not as useful for keeping it happy, or forcing it to shut-up and drive.

Maybe there's a hardcore tuner somewhere who does this for clients who want everything stripped out, except for the powertrain?
jamisonbruch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Morpheus
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cockaigne

Posts: 857
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonbruch View Post
I spoke with a software guy there, he recommended I call back next week when the automotive network guy returns.

Their tool is for diagnostics... from what I can tell it would be a really great tool (wow, and reasonably priced) for telling me why the motor/trans ECU is unhappy, not as useful for keeping it happy, or forcing it to shut-up and drive.

Maybe there's a hardcore tuner somewhere who does this for clients who want everything stripped out, except for the powertrain?
I'm curious. I would think someone with the resources to start a gig like this wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for help.
Morpheus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
335iPaul
Colonel
 
335iPaul's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i SG
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 2,214
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to 335iPaul Send a message via MSN to 335iPaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
I'm curious. I would think someone with the resources to start a gig like this wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for help.
__________________
Current: 07 335i e90
Previous: 09 Acura TSX PWP Tech
Previous: 07 335i e90 with L.E.T. Flash
335iPaul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
jamisonbruch
Registered
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

research

Maybe someone has sniffed enough of the can/lin network to be valuable. Vector, Ittax and Intrepid have the tools to reverse engineer the network, but do I really have to redo something that someone might have already done? At least flexray hasn't been integrated into this model yet... now that would be painful.
jamisonbruch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
jamisonbruch
Registered
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Update... There is no way in hell.
Forum guys (many of them BMW techs) have helped me steer clear of this gig without BMW Corp help. SCCA racers, tuners, reverse engineering firms and other concept car guys all confirm.
Thanks for the input guys.

Jamison
jamisonbruch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
collin
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sport+Premium Nav
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonbruch View Post
Update... There is no way in hell.
Forum guys (many of them BMW techs) have helped me steer clear of this gig without BMW Corp help. SCCA racers, tuners, reverse engineering firms and other concept car guys all confirm.
so out of curiosity, what's gonna happen? are you just dropping the gig, or looking for another powertrain to use?
collin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST