E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Adjusting your JB+ and Manipulation Codes!

03-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Adjusting your JB+ and Manipulation Codes!

There have been a couple customers that have posted that they received manipulation/detection codes using the JB+ at the default 2.75-3psi setting.

As Terry has mentioned the risk of throwing a detection code is proportional to the boost setting. In extensive beta testing in various climates and altitudes 2.75-3psi was determined to be the detection free zone, which is the middle dial position (see photo). All JB+ units have been shipping at this default setting.

We've shipped no less than 100 BT tools, most to JB+ customers, and have received many, many emails reporting no codes found, even at higher settings. So we're confident that 2.75-3psi is still the safe zone.

Terry is trying to get in contact with the two individuals who had the code present so that he can further understand what is going on or if its as simple as not letting the ECU go to sleep before the install which could also result in a similar condition.

It is very premature to suggest reducing the default setting. But if you want to play it safe, there is no harm in adjusting boost down to +2psi. Which would give around 30hp/30tq to the wheels. The whole idea behind the JB+ was to allow users to dial it in to their needs, be it detection or power.

Also, the BT cable is a great tool for reading and deleting these codes. Get together with 2 friends and it is around $100 each.

I am attaching two pics, the first is the default setting on the JB+ and the second is the the setting if you want to run it at 2.0 PSI.

Mike

Attached Images

Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
      03-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
David 12
Captain

Drives: 2014 M5 BSM

Good stuff - Thanks Mike
      03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
runningman
Banned

Drives: 335i SP

So at this point should JB+ users move to the lower setting, or wait it out to see what happens? What percentage is reporting a code thrown of those that have run the default setting and scanned? 5% would be different than 50%, for example. An honest answer please.
      03-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Septro
Banned

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Uggh Mike - Love ya like a brother but truly, you should qualify your statements as 'From N54tech:' or 'From BMS:' since this is a direct repost.

There will come a time when you yourself will have an opinion/statement of merit and someone here can't tell whether it is you talking or you speaking on someone's behalf. I don't have a forum-police hat on, but this ain't cool forum etiquette IMO.
      03-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
lsdless
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I installed my JB+ yesterday and I set it at 2psi just because I wanted to play it safe. I can defiantly feel the extra power and now I can easily chirp third gear which I couldn't do before. Then I read a few people had codes at default so I'm glad I set it low. I just got an e-mail today from my dealer saying I needed to bring the car in for an oil change... I'm at 1800miles and I have been driving it for 3 months. Is this typical? I thought BMW waited longer than this. Anyway I debating whether or not to get the car scanned at my local BMW shop before I take it in to the dealer. Should I be okay just removing it or does anyone recommend getting it checked out if I have the ability to?
lsdless is offline   United_States
      03-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
racerfan
Private First Class

Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 335  [0.00]
Mike has the best customer service. Tells it how it is.