E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 M3 DCT

04-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
NAZ
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: bmw m3 e92

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Bloody hell Dougie, im glad i bought my M3 in manual now - if i'd bought the DCT and it did that when i floored the throttle i'd be straight back to dealer and demanding it be swapped for a manual!! Ive a feeling the M3 DCT box is slightly upgraded than whats in the 335 - but i could be wrong?? Does the launch control do as much long term damage as the old E46 M3's ie, you are only advised to use it a max of 3 times!!???
Nope Launch Control can be used as many times as you want. After each launch control the car needs to cool oil temps before it will let you do another one. I have not lag in kick down. All in all its a very good gearbox...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #24
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crap View Post
Manual vs DCT
100% personal perference
Thats about it...my preference is DCT...its totally different from the E46 SMG which I also really liked despite its many quirks. I don't have any problem with "lag" that seems to mostly annoy USA DCT drivers but 6 years of M3s with SMG probably allowed me to adapt quicker. I think a test drive should decide whether you think the DCT is worth the premium...it was for me and I hung on until I found a 09my M3 with DCT in January at what turned out to be a good price. 3000 miles later I have absolutely no regrets but the M3 is so good that I'm sure manual box drivers think exactly the same thing.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 04-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #25
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Thats good to hear from you guys with the DCT.
Naz - that ACS front splitter - is it similar to the Vorsteiner one or completely different?? Also, in your pics i cant see the rear diffuser?? Is it fitted yet - any pics of it?? Ive just ordered front and rear CF splitter/diffuser from Vorsteiner so its too late now - but would love to see pics of it. I assume you will be coming to the M3 meet im organising so look forward to seeing it in the flesh!!! Steve
      04-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #26
Bigamos
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3 Edtion

Drove a DCT one this morning, and LOVED IT....... BUT the car was sold, so I'm still on the look out......!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #27
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 330d Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigamos View Post
Drove a DCT one this morning, and LOVED IT....... BUT the car was sold, so I'm still on the look out......!!
how does the M compare to your mapped 335d mate?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #28
Bigamos
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3 Edtion

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post
how does the M compare to your mapped 335d mate?

Don't really know, as I was with a sales man, lol.... The M3 seems to have alot of get up and go, the brakes are WOW, etc.... Just a different car all together.....

Just want one with the DCT box, which is great......!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #29
mrpickle
Private
Rep

Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
The SMG gearbox splits opinion.

I love the smg box. However you have to learn how to drive one. It is compromised as an auto, but if driven sedatley its ok for when you cant be arsed. Put the smg in s6 with dsc of and it changes gear between 60-80 millisecs and it makes a big difference to acceleration. If you feather the throttle slightly on change up the changs can be velvety smooth. The blip on downshifts is perfect, and does it alot better than i could do in a manual.

Have a look at this video of M6 vs 997 turbo from driversrepublic the results are suprising but it demonstartes the effect of the fastest setting on the smg. Please watch all the video.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...64&area=videos

ive tried to embed it but im a bit thick
Sorry to drag up an old thread, just been going through them so to speak!

These two are interesting in comparison to say the least!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
Wads
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie335 View Post
Hi,
DCT on the 335i goes like this:
1/ Start up from cold. Sometimes it acts like the old six speed and moves without the brake being applied. On other days it won't move until the accelerator is applied (more often than not). Is this the same as the M3?
2/ During normal driving you are sitting at say 60 in 7th gear and then you floor the accerlerator.What happens is the revs immediately jumps from 2000 to 6500 revs approx and then it changes into 4th or 3rd a second later. Feels like forever. Does ths happen with the M3?
3/ Does anyone else have a DCT 335i as I can't get the launch control to work?
4/ Apart from the above can't really see much of a difference from the six speed box.

Dougie.
I have an E93 M3 DCT.....

1. Nope my M3 doesn't do that
2. Nope revs seem to change at the same time as the downshift
3. Assume you've gone past 1250 miles already? If the process is the same is the M its DSC Off > set to highest S shift mode (S6) > foot brake and hand brake must be off/untouched (so you need to be on a flat road!!) > hold DCT lever forward > gas pedal to the floor > dash will show the chequered flag and revs will sit at 5k > release DCT lever on hold on for dear life!!!! If you lift off at all or change gear after starting off it will revert to normal mode and you'll clatter off the rev limiter

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Appreciate 0