E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bad Gas-Threw Code 143

04-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #23
mayno
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassey View Post
It's perfectly fine to fill up your car while the engine is on. Try travelling outside of the
U.S. and you'll notice that almost everyone else in the world fills up with the engine running.
just because "everyone else in the world" (as you assume) does it, doesn't mean it's still ok. at least for the reasons, i called out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Nikolas
Colonel

Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassey View Post
It's perfectly fine to fill up your car while the engine is on. Try travelling outside of the
U.S. and you'll notice that almost everyone else in the world fills up with the engine running.
Gasoline also makes an excellent polish for a hot exhaust! Ignore those signs they are just a joke mandated by the states and some of those other countries that make it illegal (Canada I believe).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #25
getInline
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

I usually try and fill up with the car running while I'm enjoying a nice cigarette. If I'm feeling particularly festive, I'll light up a sparkler or two.
getInline is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
I have fuel pump failure and threw CEL and SES after putting in valero gas(non brand). Does your pump also stop while fueling up? Mine doesnt fill up unless the gas person is holding on the handle or else it will stop like my tanks full and it isnt. Might be coincidence or maybe it IS the gas these non brand gas stations get.
This happens to my car pretty often. The attendant usually puts the nozzle upsidedown and that works. If not, it will continue to click and stop filling up. I think that's a sign that there's air in the tank.

Not sure though.

Hope someone can chime in and clarify.

And I turn off the engine before I get the tank filled.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Bimmer335i07 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
This happens to my car pretty often. The attendant usually puts the nozzle upsidedown and that works. If not, it will continue to click and stop filling up. I think that's a sign that there's air in the tank.

Not sure though.

Hope someone can chime in and clarify.

And I turn off the engine before I get the tank filled.
That happens to me occasionally, as well. I don't know why. I turn off the car when filling up, but probably just because that's what I've always done. The only reason to turn the car off that I can think of is what mayno said, that you'll get a warning for not having the gas cap secured. Then again, you're just at idle and not drawing much gas from the tank, or creating much pressure.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #28
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE92 View Post
Although various members have stated when they fill up with gas they leave the car on. Everyone who has bashed them for doing so hasn't yet given an answer to WHY it is bad to do so... I personally do shut my car off, but what indeed is the real reason to shut the car off?
Cuz the fuel fill area is notoriously close to the car's exhaust. It's not as dangerous as say filling up a hot lawn mower but it's still an ounce of prevention as the penalty for failure is kinda severe.

It is probably more of a holdover from the earlier days of cars before fuel injection and electronic engine control where cars could easily backfire through a catless exhaust, etc. Cars today are a ton safer in numerous ways but where heat and gasoline might meet that ounce of prevention is never a bad idea IMO.

I never did meet or hear of someone who had a problem filling up a running car but I did bump into someone who failed trying to fill up a hot lawnmower once. Not pretty.
BavarianBullet is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
techforge
Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi coupe

You have to multi-task these days you know. I'm usually smoking a cig and talking on the phone while filling up with the engine running.
techforge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #30
TiAg335i
Trance Life

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

What's the point?

So you turn the engine off.......everything is still as hot as if you would have left the engine on. That argument is null and void.
TiAg335i is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #31
335montego

Drives: 335 coupe

Just a heads up my car was throwing a 142 code (o2 sensor) and it ended up being a HPFP replacement. Just got the car back today. Odd but true.