E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Future BMW M Models - Interview(C&D)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,093
iTrader: (0)

Future BMW M Models - Interview(C&D)

Quote:
Future BMW M Models and the 2010 BMW X6 M / X5 M - Interview

M is for muscle: We get the scoop on M models through 2015.


Like automakers everywhere, BMW is being squeezed by environmental issues (carbon-dioxide emissions, for one) and the need to improve the fuel economy of its fleet. What does this mean for the German automaker’s power-focused M division, with its fuel-hungry road gobblers? We recently asked *Ludwig Willisch, who heads the division.

Willisch told us that the next generation of M engines will have smaller displacement, which could mean less power. But turbocharging will help mitigate the decrease in displacement and should keep power levels about where they are today. And should the output drop, future products will lose pounds to maintain the power-to-weight ratios of today’s M products. Willisch even mentioned deleting somewhat heavy options such as power seats. Here’s what to expect from the M division in the next few years:

2009: M models of the X5 and X6 arrive this fall with an uprated version of BMW’s twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 that bristles with 21 psi of boost, 555 horsepower, and 500 pound-feet of torque at a low 1500 rpm. A new launch-control function enables ridiculous 0-to-60 times in the low fours.

2012: Willisch told us the M5 and M6 will have an engine that is similar in concept to the X5/X6 M but not the same—maybe a small-displacement twin-turbo V-8 or even a radical twin-turbo V-6.

2014: An M version of the next-gen 1-series may arrive powered by a twin-turbo inline-four. BMW is looking at the business case before any engineering plans are made, but the goal would be about 300 horsepower with a 2900-pound curb weight.

2015: The next M3 will be the “best” M3 ever and faster than today’s car, said Willisch. Work on the future M3 hasn’t begun, but an inline-six and a V-6 are both being considered. Expect E30-like levels of mayhem.
Article
__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
josephr25
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Hopefully the next M3 will be lighter, and not approaching 80-90K. I wouldn't mind a V6 TT.
josephr25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Zeeman
Captain
 
Zeeman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335 SG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Hopefully the next M3 will be lighter, and not approaching 80-90K. I wouldn't mind a V6 TT.
That's going be difficult to acheive if it's going to based on the next generation of the 3 series. Each model get bigger and heavier and offsetting the increase in mass by swapping lighter parts and compenents is going to result in a very expense M3.
Zeeman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
vgame64
Colonel
 
vgame64's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 2,480
iTrader: (9)

For the 1 series ///M, I hope they make a limited run turbo-4 CSL Lightweight version. This would be similar to the E36 M3 CSL LTW except you would have two waivers: one for no warranty and another removing all liability from BMW if you get hurt. I figure the two things adding weight are the large engines and safety features protecting drivers from meteor collision. (Too bad the E36's LTW was a failure in the US...I guess I will settle for an X5 ///M )
vgame64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Future BMW M Models and the 2010 BMW X6 M / X5 M - Interview

M is for muscle: We get the scoop on M models through 2015.


Like automakers everywhere, BMW is being squeezed by environmental issues (carbon-dioxide emissions, for one) and the need to improve the fuel economy of its fleet. What does this mean for the German automaker’s power-focused M division, with its fuel-hungry road gobblers? We recently asked *Ludwig Willisch, who heads the division.

Willisch told us that the next generation of M engines will have smaller displacement, which could mean less power. But turbocharging will help mitigate the decrease in displacement and should keep power levels about where they are today. And should the output drop, future products will lose pounds to maintain the power-to-weight ratios of today’s M products. Willisch even mentioned deleting somewhat heavy options such as power seats. Here’s what to expect from the M division in the next few years:
I have heard similar suggestions from many other manufacturers so it looks like all are going to try and tackle the environmental issues the same way and this includes their respective hi-performance models as well.

Quote:
2012: Willisch told us the M5 and M6 will have an engine that is similar in concept to the X5/X6 M but not the same—maybe a small-displacement twin-turbo V-8 or even a radical twin-turbo V-6.
This maybe the start of a new era for M-Division, the first 'normal' M to bear a turbo engine but I doubt it will be the last and can't see a return to N/A for quite some time ............. if ever. I will be surprised if they don't make use of the X5/6M engine, the only way that they would develop a new engine for the next M5/6 is if that engine could also be used else where like the next M3 because there isn't sufficient enough sales from the M5/6 to warrant such an expense.

Quote:
2014: An M version of the next-gen 1-series may arrive powered by a twin-turbo inline-four. BMW is looking at the business case before any engineering plans are made, but the goal would be about 300 horsepower with a 2900-pound curb weight.
This is the most exciting of all future M cars, the weight is right and the output is also right, being not to low as to be ordinary but neither is it too high as to potentially damage sales of the M3. This will be the car that will compete with the likes of the TT-RS and EVO whatever.

Quote:
2015: The next M3 will be the “best” M3 ever and faster than today’s car, said Willisch. Work on the future M3 hasn’t begun, but an inline-six and a V-6 are both being considered. Expect E30-like levels of mayhem.
V6 should be the favoured choice as it's more compact and give a world of choice be it turbo or supercharged. I doubt the next 3 series will grow beyond the size it is today but reckon the choice of metal in it's construction may differ from today's car with even more use of Ultra High Strength Steels and more use of both alloy and carbon fiber.

There has been much chat about KERS, will it make it into the next range of M cars? Personally I doubt it, well at least I doubt it by the time the next M5/6 is introduced, maybe in 2015 the technology will have been perfected to make it into the M3.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Hell no to a V6. Inline 6's only. Come on BMW be the only automaker to stick to tradition( or better then most have ).
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Hell no to a V6. Inline 6's only. Come on BMW be the only automaker to stick to tradition( or better then most have ).
+1, they can't kill of the I6 for a V6. I'd rather have an I6 with a smaller power output than a V6.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

what is the advantage of an i6 vs v6?
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
 
NewSong's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
what is the advantage of an i6 vs v6?
Smoothness.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
NewSong is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Hula-Hula's Avatar
 
Drives: ♥
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nürburgring

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
+1, they can't kill of the I6 for a V6. I'd rather have an I6 with a smaller power output than a V6.
+1 It's not comparable, the I6 is too epic.
________
BRUNETTE REDHEAD
________
Penny stocks to buy
________
WetAfrodita

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 08-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Hula-Hula is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
gamma RAY
New Member
 
Drives: Sub-Atomic Particles
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Living Cells

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Hell no to a V6. Inline 6's only. Come on BMW be the only automaker to stick to tradition( or better then most have ).
that was thrown out the window once they added forced induction to their line-up
gamma RAY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
rfrmt43
Registered
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Angry Good!

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the rmtthrill of creative effort.
__________________
Happiness is a form of courage.rmt
rfrmt43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #13
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
If they do chose Vee or in-line it will be all to do with packaging. Smoothness can be cured easily and I doubt there would be an output advantage of having a vee over an in-line setup.

If the choice of how the cylinders are arranged is your sole concern and reason for buying a car then you are not the right kind of person to appreciate these cars in the first place.

P.S.

I've just read the latest EVO mag just on sale today and they have run an article on the future M engines, guess what, they seem to be of the same opinion as myself that the next M3 engine will probably be a V6 because of packaging.

Last edited by footie; 04-29-2009 at 10:23 AM.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I've just read the latest EVO mag just on sale today and they have run an article on the future M engines, guess what, they seem to be of the same opinion as myself that the next M3 engine will probably be a V6 because of packaging.
Nobody would say BMW were just using the N54 engine that way.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
 
warmtoes's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 35i, M235i xDrive Ordered
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (1)

2900lb M version of the 1 would be oustanding. Hopefuly they'll trim the weight of the next M3 as well.
__________________

M235i xDrive ordered.
warmtoes is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
 
Spec 1's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
2015: The next M3 will be the “best” M3 ever... Expect E30-like levels of mayhem.
Pbbbft!!
__________________
'91 M42 E30 - All sorts of goodies.
Spec 1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
 
ArmyBimmerDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Lola
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
2900lb M version of the 1 would be oustanding. Hopefuly they'll trim the weight of the next M3 as well.
It's still a luxury car so there's no way it'll ever be below 3000lbs.
__________________
2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i
ArmyBimmerDude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Hell no to a V6. Inline 6's only. Come on BMW be the only automaker to stick to tradition( or better then most have ).
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
E90330iS
Major General
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redwood City, California

Posts: 6,300
iTrader: (55)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to E90330iS Send a message via MSN to E90330iS Send a message via Skype™ to E90330iS
cool!
__________________
Moved to the Bay Area. Looking for meets!
E90330iS is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
 
warmtoes's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 35i, M235i xDrive Ordered
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
It's still a luxury car so there's no way it'll ever be below 3000lbs.
Unless they trim the size. Not sure if that'll happen either but you can always dream.
__________________

M235i xDrive ordered.
warmtoes is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST