Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Just got my winter tires from TireRack (in Canada)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #23
gerapau
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL
But a purchase from within Canada but out of province would have only incurred GST, at least for Ontario.
The Atlantic provinces have to pay both taxes (actually the HST). In Ontario you are sort of right. You are required by law to pay both taxes. The seller (as long as they are out of province and deliver the items to you) is not supposed to collect the provincial tax though - so they don't. You are supposed to declare the purchase and pay the provincial tax directly to the provincial government. Of course no-one (or not many) actually does this, but you are supposed to. You will probably never get caught but there is always the chance.

I have a friend who purchased some stereo components in Quebec back in 1992 and had the stuff delivered to Ontario to "save the provincial tax". The provincial tax amounted to about $1500 (yes, he bought expensive stuff). About 2 years after the purchase he received a bill from the Ontario government for the amount along with a small penalty.

I have heard that the governments are looking at ways to stop people from not paying provincial sales tax. I know that there is currently a number of provinces which are looking at adopting the Harmonized Sales tax (what Atlantic Canada uses). If this happens then you will be required to pay provincial sales tax no matter where you buy your goods (unless of course you live in Alberta - lucky dogs).

So technically you are right, most people do not pay provincial sales tax when the order stuff out of province, but you are supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #24
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau
I believe that E90s use the ABS sensors to detect low pressure. From what I have heard the 335i sold in the States uses the in-wheel sensors but the 335i sold in Canada still uses the ABS sensors. The reason for the difference is due to American regulations. The in-wheel sensors are supposed to be better but the ABS sensors should work fine.
Hi Gerapau,

Thanks for the Answers; I like it because we are getting more to more precise information.

The Owners manual speaks of ABS/DSC + rolling radius; but also speaks of the lovely TPM electronics & radio frequencies = sensor & RF signal . One thing though, the manual I currently have seems to cover US Cars & more or less Canadian Models.

Would this would mean that we do not need to order the TPMS sensors for a Canadian E90 335i?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #25
gerapau
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk
Hi Gerapau,

[COLOR="Blue"]Would this would mean that we do not need to order the TPMS sensors for a Canadian E90 335i?
I believe that you do not need the TPMS sensors in Canada but you should check with your dealer. They "should" know. I know that I have read, either here or on Bimmerfest, that the Canadian 335i does not have the in-tire sensors but you should check just to be sure. No need spending money for nothing but I am not 100% sure of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #26
gerapau
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I believe that you do not need the TPMS sensors in Canada but you should check with your dealer. They "should" know. I know that I have read, either here or on Bimmerfest, that the Canadian 335i does not have the in-tire sensors but you should check just to be sure. No need spending money for nothing but I am not 100% sure of this.
Just found this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33558.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #27
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Hi gerapau,

This seems quite correct, the Canadian cars do not have or need the TPMS Sensors.

My CA is also pretty cool, he said some Winter Tires are being mounted on RIM tomorrow for their Winter Packages and he will go and check to see if they have the TPMS Sensors or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #28
arbitrage
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk
Hi gerapau,

This seems quite correct, the Canadian cars do not have or need the TPMS Sensors.

My CA is also pretty cool, he said some Winter Tires are being mounted on RIM tomorrow for their Winter Packages and he will go and check to see if they have the TPMS Sensors or not.
The thread posted above has the quote from the head sales manager of Calgary BMW who posted his email directly from BMW Canada which aknowledged that US coupes have inwheel systems but Canada still has the ABS system from the 06 cars. Just look at the wheel and valve stem if its has any black rubber on it its not a TPMS, if its solid metal than it has it. But trust me so far all Canadian cars don't have it, nor do any US 07 sedans, only US 07 coupes!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #29
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage
The thread posted above has the quote from the head sales manager of Calgary BMW who posted his email directly from BMW Canada which aknowledged that US coupes have inwheel systems but Canada still has the ABS system from the 06 cars. Just look at the wheel and valve stem if its has any black rubber on it its not a TPMS, if its solid metal than it has it. But trust me so far all Canadian cars don't have it, nor do any US 07 sedans, only US 07 coupes!
OK cool, that's perfect.
Appreciate 0