E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade Review?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #111
Halston@bsw
Guest
 
Drives: 99 M3 - 89 325i - 86 535i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 180
iTrader: (0)

On the coupe front, the car has required complete retooling to create coupe specific drivers. The coupe, and also convertible, require very specific mounting depth speakers. It is going to be a couple of months on the final release. Not the best of news for those that are excited for them but I can assure you we are working on them and will release ASAP. The forum will definitely know as well
Halston@bsw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #112
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i'm quite curious how you are going to handle the optical/digital trans code to analog for the stage 2 amplifier - is the DSP also in the factory logic 7 amplifier?

i noticed that you mention there will be a RCA out for adding additional amplifiers/subwoofers. will the output be a sum of all channels? will a "remote" switching output also be provided to further simplify the installation of additional amplifiers/subwoofers? these features would add SIGNIFICANT value to a stage 2 upgrade.

stage 1 + stage 2 + separate amp and subwoofer would really put a smile on my face.
mwahlert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #113
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@bsw View Post
On the coupe front, the car has required complete retooling to create coupe specific drivers. The coupe, and also convertible, require very specific mounting depth speakers. It is going to be a couple of months on the final release. Not the best of news for those that are excited for them but I can assure you we are working on them and will release ASAP. The forum will definitely know as well
Do you have a definitive answer on how deep the front midrange speakers can be, maximum, on the coupe/convertible ??!! Many thanks....
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #114
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,847
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@bsw View Post
On the coupe front, the car has required complete retooling to create coupe specific drivers. The coupe, and also convertible, require very specific mounting depth speakers. It is going to be a couple of months on the final release. Not the best of news for those that are excited for them but I can assure you we are working on them and will release ASAP. The forum will definitely know as well
The P/N of both the Individual Audio 4" mids in the front doors are the same regardless of the 3 Series body (Coupe, Sedan, Convertible).

So, what is this "specific" mounting depth speakers for just the Coupe and Convertible? As long as the 4" mids are less than 50mm in depth they will fit...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #115
FrankThomas
Formerly Known As ftconstruct
 
Drives: 13 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 633
iTrader: (13)

I wonder if most of the speakers would fit now and they are only holding up the package for the 4" on the doors. I would rather replace everything now and then then just throw in the door when it is available in who knows how long rather than wait a few months for the complete package to be ready.

Halston - Can you confirm this? Can we buy majority of the speakers now?
FrankThomas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #116
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,847
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftconstruct View Post
I wonder if most of the speakers would fit now and they are only holding up the package for the 4" on the doors. I would rather replace everything now and then then just throw in the door when it is available in who knows how long rather than wait a few months for the complete package to be ready.

Halston - Can you confirm this? Can we buy majority of the speakers now?
I don't think that the issue is the mounting depth (less than 50mm) of any of the 4" mids, the issue should be the rear mounting points and configuration difference between the Sedan and the Coupe/Convertible 4" mids.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #117
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
 
manuelpolaco's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 2009
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bayamon, PR, USA

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@bsw View Post
Yes, 100% Plug and Play.

I just got an email back from my engineer and the graphs and detailed specs are coming!



Pricing is on our site
Even a kid will know the basics about a speaker. I want to know the RMS watts of this speakers. For $600 I could buy great speakers like Focal, Hertz or Diamond Audio which fit at the front doors and sound great. The problem about the non-logic speakers is the lack of an equalizer and a good amplifier.

Last edited by manuelpolaco; 03-28-2009 at 08:46 PM.
manuelpolaco is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #118
JoeyFiasco
Major
 
JoeyFiasco's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: P'boro, UK

Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpolaco View Post
Even a kid will know the basics about a speaker. I want to know the RMS watts of this speakers. For $600 I could buy great speakers like Focal, Hertz or Diamond Audio which fit at the front doors and sound great. The problem about the non-logic speakers is the lack of an equalizer and a good amplifier.
I've seen people constantly ask for those details (myself included) what gives???
JoeyFiasco is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #119
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VP Electricity's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (3)

Speakers don't have RMS watts. If these speakers are intended to be run off of the OEM BMW amp, all they have to do is handle that power. Any additional power handling is irrelevant. If the speaker does have more power handling, it has ZERO to do with sound quality - doesn't make it sound better.

Manual, you may want to learn more about how to evaluate speakers.

There are areas, like off-axis response, resonant frequency and "Q" characteristics, and distortion components, which can make clear differences in how a speaker sounds.

BSW doesn't usually share these details either, but they COULD...
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #120
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
 
rollyn2night's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 429
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rollyn2night
What the hell ever happened to BSW's audio upgrade. Everytime they said a few weeks and its been sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. WTF
rollyn2night is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #121
renpar61
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 328i CV
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

yeah! WTF
my lease will be over before the system is available...
renpar61 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #122
shocka1212
Philanthropist
 
shocka1212's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,043
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to shocka1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
yeah! WTF
my lease will be over before the system is available...
lol me 2, or just so close to the end of it that it wouldnt be worth it.
__________________
"Where is your sense of adventure guys? If we don't cut in and out of traffic we will disappoint all those who think BMW drivers are all a**holes."

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
shocka1212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #123
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't think that the issue is the mounting depth (less than 50mm) of any of the 4" mids, the issue should be the rear mounting points and configuration difference between the Sedan and the Coupe/Convertible 4" mids.
Believe it or not, the depth of the mid on the coupe needs to be about an inch or so. Any more and the window hits the magnet as it rolls down.

Sedan, depth not an issue. I used to own an E90.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #124
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,847
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Believe it or not, the depth of the mid on the coupe needs to be about an inch or so. Any more and the window hits the magnet as it rolls down.

Sedan, depth not an issue. I used to own an E90.
I do have an E90 as well.

Regardless of the E9x chassis (Sedan, Coupe, Convertible) all share the exact same 4" mid depths, as their respective (as in front door mids in the Sedan to front door mids in the Coupe and so on) 4" mids P/N are exactly the same.

That's what I don't understand; if the mids depths are the same across the models and the only thing different is the mounting points then what is this "specific mounting depth"?
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #125
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
 
manuelpolaco's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 2009
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bayamon, PR, USA

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Speakers don't have RMS watts. If these speakers are intended to be run off of the OEM BMW amp, all they have to do is handle that power. Any additional power handling is irrelevant. If the speaker does have more power handling, it has ZERO to do with sound quality - doesn't make it sound better.

Manual, you may want to learn more about how to evaluate speakers.

There are areas, like off-axis response, resonant frequency and "Q" characteristics, and distortion components, which can make clear differences in how a speaker sounds.

BSW doesn't usually share these details either, but they COULD...
I will like to know the rms of the speakers if I want to use them with a aftermarket amp. Like I say before, I'm not a speaker expert, but IMO knowing the rms and the frequency response it enough information for me. The other stuff, I leave it to the experts
manuelpolaco is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #126
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VP Electricity's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpolaco View Post
I will like to know the rms of the speakers if I want to use them with a aftermarket amp. Like I say before, I'm not a speaker expert, but IMO knowing the rms and the frequency response it enough information for me. The other stuff, I leave it to the experts
Well, the RMS doesn't tell you squat, and the frequency response is made up by the marketing department too, so I guess you're an easy guy to sell speakers to... come on, Manuel, you can do better than that
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #127
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
 
manuelpolaco's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 2009
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bayamon, PR, USA

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Well, the RMS doesn't tell you squat, and the frequency response is made up by the marketing department too, so I guess you're an easy guy to sell speakers to... come on, Manuel, you can do better than that
Like we say "el papel aguanta todo", the paper handle everything. Any information in the speaker manual or box is made by the marketing department. The final judge when choosing a speaker is your ear.
manuelpolaco is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #128
manuelpolaco
Private First Class
 
manuelpolaco's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 2009
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bayamon, PR, USA

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Well, the RMS doesn't tell you squat, and the frequency response is made up by the marketing department too, so I guess you're an easy guy to sell speakers to... come on, Manuel, you can do better than that
Yeah, Piramid speakers are the best!!!!
manuelpolaco is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #129
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I do have an E90 as well.

Regardless of the E9x chassis (Sedan, Coupe, Convertible) all share the exact same 4" mid depths, as their respective (as in front door mids in the Sedan to front door mids in the Coupe and so on) 4" mids P/N are exactly the same.

That's what I don't understand; if the mids depths are the same across the models and the only thing different is the mounting points then what is this "specific mounting depth"?
On the E90, it's possible to install a much deeper speaker than stock. On the E92, you can't, the curvature of the door panel places the speakers magnet much closer to the window mechanism.

The Morel Hybrid Ovations that I tried to install in my E92 were only 2" deep and there's no way in hell I could make them work without major door panel/grille modifications.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #130
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,847
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
On the E90, it's possible to install a much deeper speaker than stock. On the E92, you can't, the curvature of the door panel places the speakers magnet much closer to the window mechanism.

The Morel Hybrid Ovations that I tried to install in my E92 were only 2" deep and there's no way in hell I could make them work without major door panel/grille modifications.
That's not my point, my point is with BSW trying to separate a Coupe from the Sedan Stage 1 application when the OEM speakers are the same.

They can setup a Coupe Stage 1 with their Sedan drivers with minor changes.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #131
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's not my point, my point is with BSW trying to separate a Coupe from the Sedan Stage 1 application when the OEM speakers are the same.

They can setup a Coupe Stage 1 with their Sedan drivers with minor changes.
From the pictures I've seen, they'd need to shave off 3/4" from the magnet to make a sedan speaker fit into a coupe.

I don't build speakers but that doesn't seem minor to me.

Or am i missing something?
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #132
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,847
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
From the pictures I've seen, they'd need to shave off 3/4" from the magnet to make a sedan speaker fit into a coupe.

I don't build speakers but that doesn't seem minor to me.

Or am i missing something?
No, they don't...

E90 Individual Audio Mid (front doors): P/N 65137838905
E92 Individual Audio Mid (front doors and rear side panels): P/N 65137838905

The mid speakers can be the exact same size between the Sedan and the Coupe if BSW really wanted them to be...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST