E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Halographic Swirls



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #23
Gig103
12
Major
 
Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ

Posts: 1,299
iTrader: (1)

Have you tried the sheeting method for drying? We have very hard water here but since I switched methods I've not had real problems.

If you are unfamiliar:
1. Take the nozzle off your hose
2. Let the water flow across the car, top to bottom
3. The water tension pulls drops away, leaving very little behind to have to dry yourself.

I follow up with a waffle-weave microfiber and it works great!

What about a leaf blower? Are they only good for crevices?
__________________
Was: 2008 335xi sedan 6MT Black Sapphire Metallic
Is: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Nero (black metallic)
Gig103 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #24
328i
27
Colonel
 
328i's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 ///M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: central NJ

Posts: 2,773
iTrader: (14)

I find that even the best towels can mar jet black, only way I dry my car now is by rinsing it with the CR spotless system.
__________________
328i is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #25
Lowcruzr
26
Colonel
 
Lowcruzr's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY

Posts: 2,653
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Have you tried the sheeting method for drying? We have very hard water here but since I switched methods I've not had real problems.

If you are unfamiliar:
1. Take the nozzle off your hose
2. Let the water flow across the car, top to bottom
3. The water tension pulls drops away, leaving very little behind to have to dry yourself.

I follow up with a waffle-weave microfiber and it works great!

What about a leaf blower? Are they only good for crevices?
I use the sheeting technique followed with light compressed air to get in all the cracks. The sheeting works great.
__________________
'07 E92 335i |Crimson Red|Saddle|ZSP|ZPP|PDC|Heated|Logic|Step|Paddles|

Mods |Painted Kidneys|Black Lower Mesh Grills|Rho-plate|7500 GP Fogs|JB3 2.0|LED Tag Lights|Rear Fogs|And maybe some day an M3 Rear Spoiler|
Lowcruzr is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #26
Former_Boosted_IS
51
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,179
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
I find that even the best towels can mar jet black, only way I dry my car now is by rinsing it with the CR spotless system.
+1000

Maybe I will try the CR spotless system. I guess it is worth a try.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #27
328i
27
Colonel
 
328i's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 ///M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: central NJ

Posts: 2,773
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
+1000

Maybe I will try the CR spotless system. I guess it is worth a try.
Until you get one, I would suggest using the sheeting method, and then blot any remaining water. That should keep the towel induced swirls to a minimum.
__________________
328i is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #28
Former_Boosted_IS
51
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,179
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Until you get one, I would suggest using the sheeting method, and then blot any remaining water. That should keep the towel induced swirls to a minimum.
Is there a hose nozzle that can spray with pressure and open up to allow sheeting?
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #29
328i
27
Colonel
 
328i's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 ///M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: central NJ

Posts: 2,773
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Is there a hose nozzle that can spray with pressure and open up to allow sheeting?
Not that I know of, I would just take the nozzle off. If you want to make it easier, get a shut off for the end of the hose, or use a quick connect for the nozzle.
__________________
328i is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #30
jopa489
65
BMW/Detailing Addict
 
jopa489's Avatar
 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 6,561
iTrader: (8)

I find using the sheeting method and blotting the remaining water with a good waffle weave works great, even on Jet Black. The CR system is probably awesome, but I don't feel it's necessary.

And I just kink the hose to remove/reapply the nozzle. Easy enough.
__________________

jopa489 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST