E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My 60Km/h Accedint story. Help.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Darkpitiless
Enlisted Member
 
Darkpitiless's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI 320i - E92 LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kuwait

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

My 60Km/h Accedint story. Help.

Hello. i drive an 09 BMW 320i and i made an accident at about 60Km/h. I was alone in the car and i wasn't wearing the seat belt. the thing is that my Airbag and the passenger Airbag they both Deployed though there wasn't any passenger with me!!! i have a full insurance for my car but i think there is something wrong with my car. i know that it is a safety procedure for the airbags not to deploy if the driver isn't wearing the seat belt at low speeds!. I didn't tell my dealer about this because i'm busy working on the insurance paper as for now. but i know that they won't concider this as a big issue!. and now that i asked them if they're going to give me a spare car until they fix my car they said they don't!. I know that other dealers like Lexus and AUDI do give spare cars in such cases. And as a BMW owner i refuse to drive anything else but a BMW. the airbag deployment was a big issue because that crash was at a low speed about (60km/H) and i wasn't wearing the seat belt therefor the airbags caused the only injury to me! and also there is one more thing, I used the SOS button but nothing happened, i asked the dealer if it works here in Kuwait they said it works but the sales man that sold me the car may have not programed it!

My Questions are:

1. Was the airbags deployment right? or was there something wrong with my car?.

2. The SOS didn't work and thats the sales man's fault, is there anything i can do about it ?.

3. Do i have the right to get a spare car for what happened?

* Before .


* After .


How the hell did the Airbags deploy??? Both of them not just mine!.. No passenger.
Darkpitiless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Andy M
 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpitiless View Post
Hello. i drive an 09 BMW 320i and i made an accident at about 60Km/h. I was alone in the car and i wasn't wearing the seat belt.
I'm just going to make a guess here but I have a feeling that has something to do with it...

I would think safety features like airbags usually work correctly if you use all the other safety features correctly too. The car probably realized there's weight on the seats but no belt on. And to prevent you from getting flung all over the car, it deployed the airbags out of safety because it had no idea whether you were still in your seat or flying out another window. If you had your seatbelt on, I don't think either bag would have deployed.
Andy M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Darkpitiless
Enlisted Member
 
Darkpitiless's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI 320i - E92 LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kuwait

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I'm just going to make a guess here but I have a feeling that has something to do with it...

I would think safety features like airbags usually work correctly if you use all the other safety features correctly too. The car probably realized there's weight on the seats but no belt on. And to prevent you from getting flung all over the car, it deployed the airbags out of safety because it had no idea whether you were still in your seat or flying out another window. If you had your seatbelt on, I don't think either bag would have deployed.
What about the passenger's airbag?
Darkpitiless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
SoCalTech
Captain
 
Drives: Not a BMW yet...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

Did you have something in the passenger seat? A book bag or something?
Wear your seatbelt. You wouldn't have been injured at all if you were wearing it, that's a very minor accident.
Are you asking for a loaner for free? They don't have to give you a loaner at all, much less for non-warranty work. Did you offer to pay for the loaner? The dealership didn't cause the accident.
Not sure about SOS in kuwait. You never performed a test call to make sure everything was working properly?
Was the deployment proper? Hard to say, but if you walked away alive from an accident, the airbags probably did the right thing.
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Andy M
 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpitiless View Post
What about the passenger's airbag?
Like I said, you had your seatbelt off. Car probably figures out that there's weight on the drivers seat, you're in an accident that's moderately fast, and since your seatbelt is off, it doesn't know if you're moving to the side. Also the impact looked like it was just drivers side so the forces on you inside the car are at an angle with the direction towards the passenger side (any faster you would have gone through passenger side windshield so deploying that airbag makes sense).

I say it's not a problem but just really smart engineering by BMW to save you from going through the window. Just wear your belt next time ok?
Andy M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Darkpitiless
Enlisted Member
 
Darkpitiless's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI 320i - E92 LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kuwait

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Like I said, you had your seatbelt off. Car probably figures out that there's weight on the drivers seat, you're in an accident that's moderately fast, and since your seatbelt is off, it doesn't know if you're moving to the side. Also the impact looked like it was just drivers side so the forces on you inside the car are at an angle with the direction towards the passenger side (any faster you would have gone through passenger side windshield so deploying that airbag makes sense).

I say it's not a problem but just really smart engineering by BMW to save you from going through the window. Just wear your belt next time ok?

I don't know about my airbag deployment but i still think it wasn't necessary because the hit didn't even break the head lights + there was nothing on the passenger's seat!! but now my questions is, should my dealer give me a spare car until he fixes mine???
Darkpitiless is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
nyc3r
Colonel
 
nyc3r's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 2,589
iTrader: (24)

you won't get loaner car from dealer.. you can get a rental if you have rental coverage on your insurance.. otherwise, you're sol. just be glad you are alive.
nyc3r is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST