E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP question.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
HPFP question Edit. new pump installed. Turbo hose blew off on the way home.

Hey all...

i had a question about my fuel pump. i had the long cranking issue for about a week....and very very rough idle when first started the car.

then the engine malfunction light came on, only yellow though.

took the car in, they said they reset the adaption values of the high pressure pump control valve and it seems fine now. they told me if it happens again they will have to replace the HPFP.

how long do i have before im going to need a new pump???
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access

Last edited by Pangearox; 06-11-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
armoredsaint
Major
 
armoredsaint's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2006
Location: OH

Posts: 1,256
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2009 E92 M-Sport  [4.50]
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
in before the search crowd!

where's canuck?
__________________
2009 E92 335i ///M-Sport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black / 6MT / Glacier Trim / Comfort / Nav+HD Radio / iPod+USB / Cold
Mods: Pinnacle Tint 50+35 / RD Angel Eyes / Mtec Foglights / 1w LED side markers / M3 Lip Spoiler
armoredsaint is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
 
bsamoul's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 7,425
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bsamoul
you're on borrowed time. no saying when it will die though
bsamoul is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
in before the search crowd!

where's canuck?
thanks for the helpful post. jeez.

i searched, most people just had theirs replaced right away.

i want to know if there is anyone like me that they just reset some codes and sent me back.

i dont need the sarcastic posts thanks
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
shaddai
former N54 owner
 
shaddai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Have them do SIB 12 55 06 and do a pressure test. Chances are it will fail.
__________________
+lemon
shaddai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
smartys
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e93 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto, on

Posts: 595
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox View Post
thanks for the helpful post. jeez.

i searched, most people just had theirs replaced right away.

i want to know if there is anyone like me that they just reset some codes and sent me back.

i dont need the sarcastic posts thanks
Hey man,

I had almost the same issue.....my car started giving me sliiiiightly longer cranks on Cold starts in the morning, after I got my Dinan tune.....nothing major though.....

When I took it into the dealer, they told me the same thing, that there was a "low pressure fault", but the HPFP tested fine, and they "reset the adaptation"......

My car still gave some slightly longer cranks (and I mean slight, like 2.5seconds instead of instant---and I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid, but my car ALWAYS started instantly, and then it started giving me slightly longer cranks), and on top of the cranks, after the tune, when I dyno'd the car, though there were clear gains post-flash, there was a dip in the torque curve btw 2-3k rpms down to stock values before it picked up, and the AFRs were ridiculously low, like 10....

Anyways, after they "reset the adaptation", I still had slightly longer cranks, and I felt like there was something missing in performance compared to the first couple of weeks after the tune.....

So recently, i went back in for an oil change and told them my cranks were still a bit long......I don't even think they tested it, they just told me they ordered the part and tomo I'm going back in for it to be replaced.....

I think that SIB that someone posted is a good idea....just go back in, tell them you're still having long cranks, but no errors (if you haven't had any since), and ask them to run the HPFP pressure test as suggested by the other member, and see what happens.....

If it fails, then you got a new pump.....might as well try, and get a new pump now before it gets worse.....

BTW, +1 on the sarcastic remarks, sometimes it can be irritating, but at the same time, it's usually just all in good fun.....if you let it slide off your back, they're usually quite funny! Just don't sweat it....

Hope this helps!
__________________
SG | Coral Red | 6MT | Sports Pkg | CA | PDC | KWV2 | Dinan Stage II | Morr VS8 | Aero Lip |
smartys is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
Hey man,

I had almost the same issue.....my car started giving me sliiiiightly longer cranks on Cold starts in the morning, after I got my Dinan tune.....nothing major though.....

When I took it into the dealer, they told me the same thing, that there was a "low pressure fault", but the HPFP tested fine, and they "reset the adaptation"......

My car still gave some slightly longer cranks (and I mean slight, like 2.5seconds instead of instant---and I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid, but my car ALWAYS started instantly, and then it started giving me slightly longer cranks), and on top of the cranks, after the tune, when I dyno'd the car, though there were clear gains post-flash, there was a dip in the torque curve btw 2-3k rpms down to stock values before it picked up, and the AFRs were ridiculously low, like 10....

Anyways, after they "reset the adaptation", I still had slightly longer cranks, and I felt like there was something missing in performance compared to the first couple of weeks after the tune.....

So recently, i went back in for an oil change and told them my cranks were still a bit long......I don't even think they tested it, they just told me they ordered the part and tomo I'm going back in for it to be replaced.....

I think that SIB that someone posted is a good idea....just go back in, tell them you're still having long cranks, but no errors (if you haven't had any since), and ask them to run the HPFP pressure test as suggested by the other member, and see what happens.....

If it fails, then you got a new pump.....might as well try, and get a new pump now before it gets worse.....

BTW, +1 on the sarcastic remarks, sometimes it can be irritating, but at the same time, it's usually just all in good fun.....if you let it slide off your back, they're usually quite funny! Just don't sweat it..

Hope this helps!
hey, thanks for the help.

but, wouldnt you know my luck, the pump died this morning. car wont start.

so i guess im getting a new one hahah
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
hey everyone,

another question, im a bit confused.

i just got a call from my dealer that they installed a new HPFP in my car, and that they had to reflash my software.

i had the Dinan stage II in it. obviously i have to get it reflashed, but

A) why did they reflash my car??
and
B) is there anything i should know about the new software from BMW??
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Ginsu69
New Member
 
Drives: 2000 323Ci
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Alright, so I know this HPFP has been discussed ad nauseam in many posts and to be quite honest I'm borderline scared out of my wits as I await delivery either this week or next of my 09 335. I'm trying to remain positive thinking that many drivers are not having issues, my neighbor included whose 07 335 has 35k + miles and not one hiccup.

I am curious though, and I know this is the E90 post board, of all the BMW models with this engine, e.g. 135, 535 etc., how prevalent is the HPFP problem? I can't help but wonder are the peeps on those boards expressing the same frustrations?

Anybody have any insight on this?
Ginsu69 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
takashin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3, E30 325iC
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 292
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu69 View Post
Alright, so I know this HPFP has been discussed ad nauseam in many posts and to be quite honest I'm borderline scared out of my wits as I await delivery either this week or next of my 09 335. I'm trying to remain positive thinking that many drivers are not having issues, my neighbor included whose 07 335 has 35k + miles and not one hiccup.

I am curious though, and I know this is the E90 post board, of all the BMW models with this engine, e.g. 135, 535 etc., how prevalent is the HPFP problem? I can't help but wonder are the peeps on those boards expressing the same frustrations?

Anybody have any insight on this?
But i'll still answer.

Not as much as you think, but don't be surprised if you get it.
Everyone here who has an HPFP problem complains. Done. So the numbers here are blown out of proportion like crazy. However, BMWNA knows about this problem and are extending HPFP warranties etc. It may come up, but don't worry about it.
__________________
E90 M3, ZCP, ZPP,ZTP, 6MR 6MT, Akra Evo

BMWCCA # 420777
takashin is offline   Japan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
DenverJayhawk
Major
 
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,218
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a classic case of HPFP.
__________________

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
DenverJayhawk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
SMA335i
Private
 
SMA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cerritos, Ca

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu69 View Post
Alright, so I know this HPFP has been discussed ad nauseam in many posts and to be quite honest I'm borderline scared out of my wits as I await delivery either this week or next of my 09 335. I'm trying to remain positive thinking that many drivers are not having issues, my neighbor included whose 07 335 has 35k + miles and not one hiccup.

I am curious though, and I know this is the E90 post board, of all the BMW models with this engine, e.g. 135, 535 etc., how prevalent is the HPFP problem? I can't help but wonder are the peeps on those boards expressing the same frustrations?

Anybody have any insight on this?
I was in the same boat as you hoping for the best..Now my 09 is 6 months old with only 3400 miles and guess what, my HPFP was replaced today. Symptoms surfaced only once this last Saturday and the HPFP was toast thereafter
SMA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
smartys
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e93 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto, on

Posts: 595
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox View Post
hey everyone,

another question, im a bit confused.

i just got a call from my dealer that they installed a new HPFP in my car, and that they had to reflash my software.

i had the Dinan stage II in it. obviously i have to get it reflashed, but

A) why did they reflash my car??
and
B) is there anything i should know about the new software from BMW??
what?? consider yourself lucky!!

When I had my HPFP changed, they said the car didn't need to be reflashed! And to get the updated DME (which I wanted, based on what so many have said re: this, ie updated DME + DSII = way better performance), i had to pay the fee to flash to stock and reflash, which was $375 bucks! Can you post your invoice?

If it's necessary, then I can try to get my $$ back!

thanks
__________________
SG | Coral Red | 6MT | Sports Pkg | CA | PDC | KWV2 | Dinan Stage II | Morr VS8 | Aero Lip |
smartys is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
what?? consider yourself lucky!!

When I had my HPFP changed, they said the car didn't need to be reflashed! And to get the updated DME (which I wanted, based on what so many have said re: this, ie updated DME + DSII = way better performance), i had to pay the fee to flash to stock and reflash, which was $375 bucks! Can you post your invoice?

If it's necessary, then I can try to get my $$ back!

thanks
hey sorry i cant post my invoice, its in a folder at my dad's office.

but, here is another question for people...

if you have read the post you would know i had my HPFP replaced last week. Today i was driving the car, and the whole inside of my car stunk of Gasoline smell...even outside the car you could smell it, and the Engine Malfunction light came back on again.

anyone have an idea what could have happened? could they have installed the pump incorrectly?
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #15
MNR0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AUSTRALIA

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Most likely a fuel leak. Get it checked out.

You have HPFP Flu

There is no vaccine
MNR0 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR0 View Post
Most likely a fuel leak. Get it checked out.

You have HPFP Flu

There is no vaccine
well i got my answer.

it was on of the turbos.

i guess when they put in the fuel pump they had to unhook the turbo, well, when the tech put the turbo back in the car, he didnt attach the clamp on the hose properly. the next day when i stepped on the gas hard and the turbo spooled up, poof! the hose blew off.
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST