E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sibling Rivalry-What would you guys rather have

06-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sibling Rivalry-What would you guys rather have

I'm sure this has been posted before in the M3 section but here I'm not sure.

Anyway...

SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant

Drives: DMS C63 AMG

I'd have the car that handles better i.e the M3. If you just want to go fast in a straight line get a bike. Still if you love modding your vehicle the M3 is a total waste of time so each to their own
      06-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
The 335's handling can be transformed Mr Crap!

The m3 only just pipped the 335 around a track? Wonder what else the Dinan has under its sleeze.

1/4mile

13.4 for the M3..

13.5 for the Dinan

IMho the 335i should have pipped it.
      06-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
E92Fan

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

The m3 only just pipped the 335 around a track? Wonder what else the Dinan has under its sleeze.

1/4mile

13.4 for the M3..

13.5 for the Dinan

The Dinan car has Stage 3 suspension, which comprises of Koni adjustable shocks, Dinan springs, 28.5mm front anitroll bar, 15.5mm rear antiroll bar, and camber plates for the front dampers. It also had the Stage 3 engine upgrade, which is tune, intercooler and oil cooler.

I'm not surprised the Dinan didn't handle as well - first off it's still setup to understeer as the front/rear antiroll bar bias is still too front-biased. IMO it just doesn't turn-in sharply and is nowhere near as crisp in response and feel as mine is. Also, the Dinan car was lacking a limited slip differential - that would have made a substantial difference to the feel.

Ultimately, the M3 is a much more complete package out of the box, especially when compared to a stock 335i. Even I will admit that the new M3 is a very good drive. As Biscuits and others have commented before, you need to throw money, and a good deal of money, at a 335i to get it to handle at the very least the same, and even dare I said it even better... but it can be done, oh yes it can..!!

ps.. Carlos I remember you drove my car at UK6 in Cambridge - have you driven it in its latest incarnation??

EDIT - to answer Sunny's initial question though, which one would I rather have? Two part answer to this - if I wasn't me, and had no interest in modifying or 'tailoring' car to my specific needs, then the M3 no question. Especially over the Dinan car.
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Tone your car is better than the Dinan here right?

I'd much rather have your car over an M3 any day of the week. It's cheaper for a start. I'd rather buy a 335i slightly used, mod it up in a similar way that you have done and BAM you have a car that is BETTER than an M3 stock.

You really are buying M3 for the name.

Just my opinion. Not suggesting I have found the fountain of truth.

I'd debadge and have the quad pipes.

06-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The Dinan car has Stage 3 suspension, which comprises of Koni adjustable shocks, Dinan springs, 28.5mm front anitroll bar, 15.5mm rear antiroll bar, and camber plates for the front dampers. It also had the Stage 3 engine upgrade, which is tune, intercooler and oil cooler.

I'm not surprised the Dinan didn't handle as well - first off it's still setup to understeer as the front/rear antiroll bar bias is still too front-biased. IMO it just doesn't turn-in sharply and is nowhere near as crisp in response and feel as mine is. Also, the Dinan car was lacking a limited slip differential - that would have made a substantial difference to the feel.

Ultimately, the M3 is a much more complete package out of the box, especially when compared to a stock 335i. Even I will admit that the new M3 is a very good drive. As Biscuits and others have commented before, you need to throw money, and a good deal of money, at a 335i to get it to handle at the very least the same, and even dare I said it even better... but it can be done, oh yes it can..!!

ps.. Carlos I remember you drove my car at UK6 in Cambridge - have you driven it in its latest incarnation??

EDIT - to answer Sunny's initial question though, which one would I rather have? Two part answer to this - if I wasn't me, and had no interest in modifying or 'tailoring' car to my specific needs, then the M3 no question. Especially over the Dinan car.
Hi Tony mate,

thanks for the detailed response, i wonder why the video didnt go into more detail about the Dinan car.

Cannot believe they do not have the Quiafe fitted

I have driven your car tony and i found it sublime, I cant wait to drive it again in its current form..

What exactly has changed since march buddy?

I want a 335i, at some point. i also want an M3... I just couldnt live with the lack ot torque.
      06-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Tony mate,

thanks for the detailed response, i wonder why the video didnt go into more detail about the Dinan car.

I have driven your car tony and i found it sublime, I cant wait to drive it again in its current form..

What exactly has changed since march buddy?

I want a 335i, at some point. i also want an M3... I just couldnt live with the lack ot torque.
Your 335d almost ripped me off the front seat back into the back seats Fandangigolo.
      06-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
Your 335d almost ripped me off the front seat back into the back seats Fandangigolo.
Good lol, Glad you liked it
      06-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
It's cheaper for a start. I'd rather buy a 335i slightly used, mod it up in a similar way that you have done and BAM you have a car that is BETTER than an M3 stock.
For a start it doesn't have the worlds best V8 under the bonnet so it can't be better than an M3! Also E92fan has spent a shed load on his E92, you could buy a used M3 for a lot less than a used 335i plus mod costs.

Quote:
You don't need an LSD in a country with no corners! ;-)
      06-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Trust me the M3 is in a completly different league to the 335 concerning handling I have owned both and although i have only had the m3 a couple of weeks it is a far more planted drive , yes my modded 335 was maybe just as quick but you just listen to that V8 and its just got to be the M and I agree you are always going to crave the M3 when you own the 335 and peeps are always going to think that you are a wanna be M3 driver , sorry jmho.
      06-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant

Quote:

1/4mile

13.4 for the M3..

13.5 for the Dinan

Er no one buys an M3 for its 1/4 mile

And you can modify the handling of ANY car

Fact is AS I SAID its down to preference but i don't think it's going to be that much cheaper if you change ECU/exhaust/brakes/suspension and a few other things. You are looking at thousands. Then you have a invalidated warranty and a hefty insurance premium to boot

I've driven modded and un modded 335d's and 335i's and the handling is no where near a M3s. My friend currently has a E92 335i + remap and sure I agree not a huge amount between them in a straight line but round corners the 335 is really fussy compared to the M3. Have you actually driven an M3?? Cos you seem to have quite an opinion

Again if all you want to do is a quarter mile get a bike and feel some real acceleration
      06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
hubble bubble
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i

Depends where you are driving

I just upgraded my 335i with the Dinan Stage 2 software. Night and day difference.

But I'll be the first to admit the M3 is a far superior car.....it handles better, it had better brakes, more HP, kewl carbon-fibre roof, etc. If you are on the track or driving some twisties with no speed limit, there is no question the M3 is the superior. But around town, in the driving most of us do daily, the torque of the 335 let me out-run a new M3 and blow the doors off an E46 M3....for $20k less.
hubble bubble is offline   Canada
      06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
Good to see you got to experience the DXB. Carl....I'm still waiting after you evaded me at the 'ring!
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crap View Post
Er no one buys an M3 for its 1/4 mile

And you can modify the handling of ANY car

Fact is AS I SAID its down to preference but i don't think it's going to be that much cheaper if you change ECU/exhaust/brakes/suspension and a few other things. You are looking at thousands. Then you have a invalidated warranty and a hefty insurance premium to boot

I've driven modded and un modded 335d's and 335i's and the handling is no where near a M3s. My friend currently has a E92 335i + remap and sure I agree not a huge amount between them in a straight line but round corners the 335 is really fussy compared to the M3. Have you actually driven an M3?? Cos you seem to have quite an opinion

Again if all you want to do is a quarter mile get a bike and feel some real acceleration
One could say Buy a bike if you want to feel a ''rush'' around corners..

But still a 13.5 from a 400+bhp V8 is pretty pathetic really, to think a 335d can beat that is hilarious really.

Unless your a very competant driver a 335 with a decetn driver can outdrive an m3 easily.. But thats tit for tat.

Out of the box the M3 is miles better, no one is disputing that, but for little outlay (not that little) you can make one out perform M///'s finest..

Ive not driven one, but ive driven the best m3 to date the CSL which actually runs rings around an E92 M3 around a track..
      06-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #15
Mr.N
BM Baby

Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
peeps are always going to think that you are a wanna be M3 driver
Fuck off!! :finger:
Mr.N is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #16
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Fuck off!! :finger:
Ha Ha!

Yeh Mikeybmw, just cos you've left lag-land and gone all N/A on us, don't get dissing the turbo possey!

(owning a tourer though I never get insecure about a better version being out there - I have the best one already - E91 335i - The ultimate street sleeper IMO)

06-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #17
Mr.N
BM Baby

Drives: E92 335d

Yeah Boi! ha ha.
Mr.N is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant

Quote:

Ive not driven one, but ive driven the best m3 to date the CSL which actually runs rings around an E92 M3 around a track..
So you haven't driven one

But still have an opinion and some quarter mile data
      06-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crap View Post
So you haven't driven one

But still have an opinion and some quarter mile data
Mate, i dont need to drive one... Ive been in one around the ring... I know how capable they are..

Just needed to be more powerful thats all.