E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Brake kits



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
JCC
Private
 
Drives: e93 323i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 E93  [0.00]
Brake kits

Hi All,

Since I'm a newbie to the BMW world, I need some advice from all you "Si Hing's".

I'm contemplating replacing the stock brakes (08 E93 323i) with an aftermarket kit. I've notice there's a big pricing gap between brands such as Brembo, Alcon (approx. HK$45K + labor) , and the BMW Performance kit (HK$18K + labor). Aside from the asthetics and branding, is it worth the pricing gap? One consideration is the colors offered by Brembo is much wider than BMW Performance's only option (mustard yellow). Any comment will be appreciated..

p.s. I just checked the bmw.de site and they have the bmw m sport aerodynamic package (front & rear aprons plus side skirts) for sale at EU202.20. That might be a typo, but I'm asking my German friend to check it out. Sounds too good to be true..
JCC is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
ArktisE92
Private First Class
 
ArktisE92's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 852

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Hi All,

I'm contemplating replacing the stock brakes (08 E93 323i) with an aftermarket kit. I've notice there's a big pricing gap between brands such as Brembo, Alcon (approx. HK$45K + labor) , and the BMW Performance kit (HK$18K + labor). Aside from the asthetics and branding, is it worth the pricing gap? One consideration is the colors offered by Brembo is much wider than BMW Performance's only option (mustard yellow). Any comment will be appreciated..
For most of us a BBK is more form than function--as much as I'd like to tell you my braking performance improved a zillion-fold going from stock 340mm's to the brembo 380's, the real benefits don't really begin to show unless you track the car.

Go with what appeals to your taste--you'll end up with a better braking system that goes well beyond the demands of HK street driving in any case. The rest is just $$'s and preference.
__________________
SOLD '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler

Last edited by ArktisE92; 06-12-2009 at 11:12 AM.
ArktisE92 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
JCC
Private
 
Drives: e93 323i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArktisE92 View Post
For most of us a BBK is more form than function--as much as I'd like to tell you my braking performance improved a zillion-fold going from stock 340mm's to the brembo 380's, the real benefits don't really begin to show unless you track the car.

Go with what appeals to your taste--you'll end up with a better braking system that goes well beyond the demands of HK street driving in any case. The rest is just $$'s and preference.
A, you're absolutely right, since I'm not planning on taking my car to the track any time soon, it's the look that I'm going after, rather than the increased stopping performance these new brakes will bring. And man, I do like the Brembo's better, red calipers..... yummy!!!!!
JCC is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
ArktisE92
Private First Class
 
ArktisE92's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 852

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
A, you're absolutely right, since I'm not planning on taking my car to the track any time soon, it's the look that I'm going after, rather than the increased stopping performance these new brakes will bring. And man, I do like the Brembo's better, red calipers..... yummy!!!!!
The better shops can custom-paint those calipers and reapply the brembo/stoptech/ap/whatever decals in near-original quality--I did mine in yellow+black decals--very happy with the results. I've also seen people with white, silver and metallic blue--all to good effects.

I have yet to see a BMW Perf BBK in person though...
__________________
SOLD '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
ArktisE92 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong | Vancouver, BC Canada

Posts: 1,499
iTrader: (28)

Send a message via MSN to Lewis@MWDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Hi All,

Since I'm a newbie to the BMW world, I need some advice from all you "Si Hing's".

I'm contemplating replacing the stock brakes (08 E93 323i) with an aftermarket kit. I've notice there's a big pricing gap between brands such as Brembo, Alcon (approx. HK$45K + labor) , and the BMW Performance kit (HK$18K + labor). Aside from the asthetics and branding, is it worth the pricing gap? One consideration is the colors offered by Brembo is much wider than BMW Performance's only option (mustard yellow). Any comment will be appreciated..

p.s. I just checked the bmw.de site and they have the bmw m sport aerodynamic package (front & rear aprons plus side skirts) for sale at EU202.20. That might be a typo, but I'm asking my German friend to check it out. Sounds too good to be true..
For all non 335 applications, the OEM Performance Brakes is the best option out there based on its price.

Should be sufficient for increased brake performance on daily HK street driving.
Lewis@MWDesign is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
JCC
Private
 
Drives: e93 323i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis@MWDesign View Post
For all non 335 applications, the OEM Performance Brakes is the best option out there based on its price.

Should be sufficient for increased brake performance on daily HK street driving.
Would you think it'd be "tacky" if I repainted the OEM performance brakes from mustard yellow to red? I do like red calipers going with the black exterior paint...
JCC is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST