E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335d - 1 month in...thoughts so far...

06-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private

Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Talking My 335d - 1 month in...thoughts so far...

Well...its been just over a month and 3000 miles since I become the proud owner of my 56 plate E90 335d M Sport Saloon and thought I would just share some of my thoughts, findings, pros & cons of my ownership so far.

Background:
After spending months researching cars (as I think we all do now with the joyeous internet) decided that I wanted the 335d. I thought long and hard of MPG vs Performance vs Resale vs Tuning potential yada yada yada. And to be honest its often down to nothing more than personal choice. And of course, I just knew that if I went for a 330d or less I'd regret it. I have what I call "Magpie" syndrome which means its not long after buying something another shiny thing appears and draws my attention. So it had to be the right choice first time.

I also decided to go for the Saloon rather than a Coupe. I have a 10yr old and also carry stuff with me for work. So constantly opening boot or putting front seats down was enough in my previous cars to put me off for life. Personal choice again, I know.

So...I hunted the net, local dealers and various forums and finally found the car I have now via another forum.

I bought the car from its second owner (who had it for all of 1 month) with just over 45k on the clock. I think I got quite a good deal as I swapped it plus some cash for my 2007 Golf GTI DSG, so reckon I paid the equivalent of just under 19k.

A brief overview of my spec is:

335d M Sport Saloon
Auto with the Flappy Paddles
Titanium Silver
Black Leather
18'' Alloys
ProNav / iDrive
Bluetooth / Voice Control
6CD Changer
PDC
Factory Tints

The Car
The main reason for my change of vehicle was a mix of common sense and heartfelt lust. My job means I do thousands of motorway miles attending meetings all over the UK and knew that my current stead (GTI) wasn't really designed to devour the British Highways like the Big D was. However didn't want to compromise too much on performance pedigree.

In just shy of 3k miles I have to say I am not at all disappointed. The D continues to ignite both my heart and soul with its schizophrenic personality. Happily jumping from refined motorway cruiser to poised intelligent back road blaster. The "Silver Paddles of Greatness" allow me to enjoy both simultaneously should the mood dictate. Not to mentioned annoying some very well established sportier marques (not to mention owners).

Yes, the car is heavier and rear wheel biased unlike all of my previous cars (GTI, TT to name a few) so I have had to adapt my driving style slightly and choose some different angles of attack on some apex's but in my opinion am now the better for it. Slightly damp or tight roundabouts now fill my heart with glee as I try to reinact some scenes from F&F: Tokyo Drift. However I am no Vin Diesel just yet.

Another audible pleasure is off course the big 3 litre bavarian oil burner under the bonnet. For a diesel it sounds great under load, especially when pushing hard. I really didn't think I'd enjoy the sound when previously I've been lucky enough to own several V6 and bigger petrol cars which obviously come with a soundtrack straight from Days of Thunder.

Economy
I have to be honest as say I am not disappointed with the figures I have been getting so far. On most good journeys which include Motorway, fast A and some town driving I see about 37/38mpg. Compared to my GTI I'm about 100 miles per tank better off. Which is cool.

It doesn't take a lot to drop this into the low 30's though but again, still very impressive consider the payoff against the performance being delivered.

For instance, I drove back yesterday from visting family about 130miles away in Leicester so motorway and A roads. I took it easier at some points but still averaging 80ish mph but for a good chunk of the journey back I was having some fun with various other cars. Audi TT, S4, Z3M and some Chav in a Celica GT4. Bar the Z3M (which I was very impressed with) none of them stood a chance really. From 60/70 mph I pulled away like moses parting the red sea.

Even after that...still got 34.9 mpg. Not bad hey

Niggles
Do I believe any car is perfect...NO. Even uber expensive ones. Some say these add to the character, others say enough to put you off entirely. The Big D has a few minor imperfections (Comments appreciated on these)
1. The Ride is a little firm. And does bang and knock at low speed over speed bumps, potholes or dodgy road surfaces. I assume this is the "Sport Suspension" being over firm perhaps.
2. The steering for me can be a little too sensitive for me (probably relating to point 1). Often it needs "re-trimming" to get back online. This is only really noticeable on long straight roads. Only takes minor bumps to knock it off line. Maybe I'm being too fussy.
3. Aircon: Is it me...or does the aircon either mean you fecking freezing or starting to sweat. It seems unless you want to be either extremes it doesn't regulate heat very well. My wife used to have the same problem with her 120d. Dodgy BMW aircon me thinks ;-)
4. Wish it had heated seats...only extra I do miss from previous cars.

There are some others but again, me trying to look for faults that perhaps are me being over critical.

What next
I think we all know what the next steps are...I really fancy a remap, so thinking DMS or Evolve in the next couple of weeks. Would also like a lip spoiler for the boot, as I think it would just set it off nicely and add to the lines. Am also planning on getting the USB cable for the iPod. Some help advice on these would be appreciated.

All in all, I'm made up. Its all things to all men the 335d and cannot see me parting company with it for a good few years. Its such a great all rounder...and does everything I ask of it brilliantly.

Roll on the next 100,000 miles

Wh|t3R@bb|t is offline   United Kingdom
      06-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
V6 GEEK

E90 FTW. Blacklines maybe??

Great car. Remap will make it a beast. The "firm ride" over bumps is mainly due to the RFT tyres.
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
      06-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
E90Yaz
Torque Monster

Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

I'd like u to have a go against my CHAV CELICA GT4!! It would probably wipe the smile off ur face and want u to get another car very quickly!!
E90Yaz is offline   England
      06-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
G33
Colonel

Drives: 335i

post sum pics of your ricer yazzer (another topic of course)
      06-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
I'd like u to have a go against my CHAV CELICA GT4!! It would probably wipe the smile off ur face and want u to get another car very quickly!!

SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
      06-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private

Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
I never implied the car was chav, merely the cap wearing youngster driving it. I actually like the GT4...If you re-read the line it says "...some chav IN a Celica GT4".

The GT4 in question didn't seem to have that much go...or it would have been closer perhaps.

Feel free to start a new thread of "My GT4 rocks.." will go down well on this BMW forum.

Not getting pissy mate...just think perhaps you should read my post and comment on it accordingly. Not misquote me and then start offering car shoot outs at the O.K Corral
Wh|t3R@bb|t is offline   United Kingdom
      06-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
E90Yaz
Torque Monster

Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
post sum pics of your ricer yazzer (another topic of course)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...77#post5374577
E90Yaz is offline   England
      06-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Glad you're enjoying life with the 'Big D', it really is a good all round car.

I'd certainly consider a re-map for even more driving pleasure. Never regretted having my E92 335D re-mapped.

As for your points:

1) Never thought the ride felt firm tbh but agree on the 'knocking' effect over potholes and bumps.

2) Think you may possibly get used to the steering. Coming from an E90 330i M sport, I found the steering on the 335D less prone to slight wandering over white lines, possibly down to having a bit more weight over the front wheels. Never experienced what you've mentioned re. the steering being knocked off whilst in a straight line. Felt the steering gave good feedback in all driving conditions. You still on runflats?

3) Found the climate control worked well overall but I do remember having to turn it down a few times as it became too warm inside the cabin despite setting the temp to what I perceived as being 'comfortable'.

4) Sure the guys on here will agree with the heated seats option. Never done it for me and even if fitted, I never use that feature. Makes me want to pee.
beemerbird is offline   England
      06-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
PhilL
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 e91 335d M Sport

Funnily enough I was going to write a very similar post tonight about my 335d! Gotta say I agree with your write up.

3 months in and I'm just loving the car. In E91 guise in particular it's just fantastic; refined, quick and discreet enough for client car parks - it's like the automotive iron fist in the velvet glove. The tourer is just fantastic; less flashy than the coupe IMO but with enough space for the dog, work kit, road trips and mountain bikes (although not all at once!)

Today I covered a fair few motorway miles and felt fresh as a daisy afterwards; the big D is just made for motorway cruising. I love the satisfaction when someone is sitting on my bumper, probably running late for their next office stationary convention and I'm waiting patiently for the car in front to pull in.. then with a quick flex of the toe i'm gone

Then on the way home a spirited B road drive making good use of the paddles. The car is just so planted and when pushed, there's not much than will keep pace on UK roads.

Back out this evening for footie and a relaxed A road cruise saw me return a trip avg over 45mpg I mean really; I'm usually bored of anything after 5 mins but I just love this car. Unless Alpina bring out a D3 Bi-Turbo model based on the 3 litre TT unit I can't think of anything I would want to replace it with atm (although an e91 Alpina B3 would be nice, if a little thirsty).

One feature which I find really useful on the touring is the split tailgate and remote operated luggage cover; just great for chucking stuff in the boot, or when settling the dog down. One minor gripe which seems quite commonplace is the trim around the rear boots windows in the touring; both sides seem to creak and squeak a fair bit, I think a trip to the dealer's is in order to get them to look at that. Also when cold, the idle is slightly lumpy at the moment.

The stereo needs the Alpine upgrade, and I can't believe that even with elec leather sports seats on a car like this, it doesn't even have a manual lumbar support! It might be a small thing for many people but I've had a really hard time getting the seat position just right and with enough support to my lower back. Jeez I sound like an old man not a healthy bloke in his 20s!

These minor issues aside (and the fact the GF slammed the door of her car into mine which will require some cosmetic attention.. you'd think you would be safe on your own drive eh ) I couldn't be happier with it so far.

Next step, some blacklines (look especially good on the SG). Keep telling myself I'm Gliptone the leather and detail the interior but not got round to it yet!

I think I'll need some new boots on the rear in a few months but the fronts look ok; not sure what to do there, to runflat or not to runflat? That is the question. I've been relatively pleased with the performance of the Michelin PS2s and the ride is firm but bearable with the M Sport Suspension. I definitely take more care to avoid potholes though than in my previous car (a Mk5 Golf Gt Sport 170 Tdi with 17" alloys). Also I'm getting similar fuel consumption to the Golf. Unbelievable.

Would love a trip to Evolve but I think that will have to wait for a bit.

IMO BMW, you've done well. Just hope the dealer experience going forward will match the car.
      06-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
///ajd
Colonel

Drives: BMW 330d Touring

....Whiterabbit - excuse the thread creep ...Phil .... my 330d touring has an annoying creak that sounds like its the window trims / C pillars too like you say. Have you any evidence that its common? If so where? I need some help as my local dealer failed to diagnose the creaks after 2 days and were not very proactive in sorting it.

My 3rd year of proper warranty is nearly up and I really want this sorted!
///ajd is offline   France
      06-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
PhilL
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 e91 335d M Sport

Yeah sorry I can start another thread if need be mods but;

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/arc.../t-146762.html

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=60999

Apparently it's a known issue on the e91
      06-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
red-max
First Lieutenant

Drives: 520d M-Sport Auto

Welcome to 335d motoring, and I'm glad you like it, good write-up. I agree with just about everything you've written, though I don't have any problem with the sports seats in my E92 - perhaps those in the saloon are different to the coupe (of course they are, the coupe's seats fold to provide access to the back seats).

I think you got yourself a real bargain, and if only I'd seen the recession coming, I wouldn't have bought mine brand new for 38K (ouch) two and a half years ago. Still, I plan to keep mine for quite a while yet, now the depreciation has flattened out, and to be honest it's not a bad car to be "stuck" with.
      06-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
Cafe.Racer
Captain

Drives: 320d Touring

My steering took a bit of getting used to - I remember when I first got it, I found I had to correct a lot in a straight line. Just reading your post made me realise I don't have to any more...

Climate - YES! I'm glad it winds someone else up. Like you say, freezing or sweating. Mine doesn't cope very well with the sun going in and coming back out, and I find I'm always tweaking the temperature dial. It's supposed to be climate control. Other cars I've had, I've not had to tweak their CC to keep a constant temperature.

Is the wiper stalk not bothering you yet?