E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Kickdown button anger

06-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #23
Terrance28
Brigadier General

Drives: Crimson Red E92

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
On the track you don't want the car shifting mid-turn as that unsettles the handling balance.
Then be in the right gear for the turn the car will only kickdown if there is room in the rpms to drop down to safely.
      06-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #24
335lvr
Major

Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Then be in the right gear for the turn the car will only kickdown if there is room in the rpms to drop down to safely.
Not true, how does it know when to drop-down safely? Its not like it knows your in a tight turn and shifting down will upset the balance. The kickdown wouldn't be a big deal if you could disable it....for god's sake: when your in manumatic mode why the does it kick down..that makes no sense. With the gobs of torque, shifting down doesn't always make things quicker.
      06-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
hsleiman
First Lieutenant

Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Not true, how does it know when to drop-down safely? Its not like it knows your in a tight turn and shifting down will upset the balance. The kickdown wouldn't be a big deal if you could disable it....for god's sake: when your in manumatic mode why the does it kick down..that makes no sense. With the gobs of torque, shifting down doesn't always make things quicker.
I think he meant if the engine still has some room to downshift without going over redline it will if you kickdown. If you're already in a low gear at high rpm and try to kickdown it won't downshift because that will over rev the engine.

I don't understand what the big deal is? Don't hammer your foot down and it won't kickdown. Just put enough pressure down to not trip the kickdown you still get 100% WOT without a downshift. I think kickdown was put there for safety reasons. If you have some noob driving in manumatic in too high of a gear and suddenly realizes he needs to accelerate quickly, kickdown will put him in the right gear.
hsleiman is offline   Lebanon
      06-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
rismo
Captain

Drives: BMW E92 335

In a different thread, somebody explained the concept:
The button is a placebo and it does not help to remove it.

The throttle angel before the click is 90-95%, upon full throttle, which is when the button is pressed down, the ecu detects the 100% angels, shifts down and gives full power. (even a bit above standard turbo pressure if I understood well)

This seems to be different from a MT....
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - Procede Rev 3 - Vishnu Meth and Chargepipe - Forge Diverter Valves - Vishnu Flex Fuel Kit- AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - EBC Yellow Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PSS - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
      06-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #27
Terrance28
Brigadier General

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about. The car is controlled by a computer how wouldn't it know what's a safe gear to drop too. What I meant by it will drop down to the safest gear is simple. If you are in the right gear at the right rpms for the turn it won't kickdown if it doesn't have too.
      06-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #28
Terrance28
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsleiman View Post
I think he meant if the engine still has some room to downshift without going over redline it will if you kickdown. If you're already in a low gear at high rpm and try to kickdown it won't downshift because that will over rev the engine.

I don't understand what the big deal is? Don't hammer your foot down and it won't kickdown. Just put enough pressure down to not trip the kickdown you still get 100% WOT without a downshift. I think kickdown was put there for safety reasons. If you have some noob driving in manumatic in too high of a gear and suddenly realizes he needs to accelerate quickly, kickdown will put him in the right gear.
Thank you very much.
      06-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #29
335lvr
Major

Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
What the hell are you talking about. The car is controlled by a computer how wouldn't it know what's a safe gear to drop too. What I meant by it will drop down to the safest gear is simple. If you are in the right gear at the right rpms for the turn it won't kickdown if it doesn't have too.
LOL. It's not as simple as that on a track...I'm sure its fine for street driving. You are talking safe kickdown for the engine/tranny and I'm talking safe kickdown while in a turn ...two different things.

LOL again for kickdown for safety reasons...in case someone has to accelerate quickly??

I am positive I would be able to adapt to know where the threshold for kickdown is, but I still think it is very dumb.
      06-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #30
hsleiman
First Lieutenant

Quote:
LOL. It's not as simple as that on a track...I'm sure its fine for street driving. You are talking safe kickdown for the engine/tranny and I'm talking safe kickdown while in a turn ...two different things.

LOL again for kickdown for safety reasons...in case someone has to accelerate quickly??

I am positive I would be able to adapt to know where the threshold for kickdown is, but I still think it is very dumb.
Umm yes for safety reasons I can immediately think of 2 or 3 situations where it would be beneficial to accelerate quickly. Some might argue the ability to accelerate quickly is just as important as the ability to slow down quickly when attempting to avoid an accident.

Also, if you are tracking your car I hope you possess the fine motor skills needed for throttle modulation and if you were in the right gear when exiting a turn kickdown should not be a factor. And if you track your car you might want to consider getting a stick. Auto boxes were devised so less input from the driver would be needed and on a track I would think that you would want as much control over your car as possibe.
      06-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #31
SoCalTech
Captain

Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Then can you explain why an auto has this button and the manuals don't?
If there isn't an actual button then why even have it?
It's for people who are used to driving cars back in the day that actually had a switch that you could feel. It's a placebo.
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
      06-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #32
SoCalTech
Captain

Quote:
Not true, how does it know when to drop-down safely? Its not like it knows your in a tight turn and shifting down will upset the balance.
It absolutely does know if you're in a tight turn and shifting will upset the balance. It uses several sensors. Steering angle sensor, DSC rotation rate sensor, and other inputs to know that you're in the middle of a turn, and will do it's best to keep the same gear.
      06-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #33
Terrance28
Brigadier General

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but the easy solution is if you are in the right gear when you are going through a corner the kickdown feature is not an issue because the car would not need to kickdown because you are already in the right gear to accelerate out of it.
      06-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
hsleiman
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
It's for people who are used to driving cars back in the day that actually had a switch that you could feel. It's a placebo.
No it's not. The purpose of the kickdown is to put your car in a low enough gear to maximize acceleration. This is the same as flooring it in any other auto car. You floor it, the car will downshift, and you will accelerate. BMW has chosen to incorporate the "kickdown" feature to fine tune the behavior of the vehicle. If you want to accelerate without downshifting, you can push the pedal to the resistance point. If you want maximum acceleration and the car to behave just like any other car when you floor it, you push past the resistance point to engage kickdown. Obivously, manual transmission cars do not need this feature as the shifting is controlled solely by the driver and not the ecu.
      06-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #35
SoCalTech
Captain

The "button" that you feel is a placebo. Take the pedal apart and see for yourself. There is no message sent to the DME saying "the kickdown button was pushed". There is no wiring, sensor, or signal associated with the actual feeling of pushing the "kickdown switch".
      06-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #36
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Somewhat unrelated, but I was surprised that the Saturn Vue SUV will hold the gear, at redline, when in manual mode and full throttle! At least in 1st gear, I didn't test any of the others specifically, but I don't remember it kicking down when mashing the accelerator.

It was a Hertz rental car, otherwise I'd never get close to the thing.....
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      06-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #37
hsleiman
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
The "button" that you feel is a placebo. Take the pedal apart and see for yourself. There is no message sent to the DME saying "the kickdown button was pushed". There is no wiring, sensor, or signal associated with the actual feeling of pushing the "kickdown switch".
"Placebo" or not, the car still behaves the way I described.
      06-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #38
Amir87
Gruppe Titan

Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [5.00]
To the OP:

Do this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sable+Kickdown
      06-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #39
Zeph
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Send a message via AIM to Zeph Send a message via Yahoo to Zeph
just buy a manual and you don't have to worry about your car driving you :P
Zeph is offline   United_States
      06-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #40
RiXst3r

Drives: www.p3cars.com

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
According to OBDII data, the car is at full throttle before the kickdown is pressed... pushing the "button" does not open the throttle plate any further in my testing. The last bit of pedal travel (the kickdown) tells the car to downshift.
      06-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #41
MuchMoore
Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to MuchMoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
According to OBDII data, the car is at full throttle before the kickdown is pressed... pushing the "button" does not open the throttle plate any further in my testing. The last bit of pedal travel (the kickdown) tells the car to downshift.
So using that block of wood really does work, I would have never believed it, haha.

MuchMoore is offline   United_States
      06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #42
hsleiman
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
THANK YOU. Damn people is it that hard to understand.