E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #45
JB335
Banned
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [3.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrinzeofcatz View Post
i guess there arent really any downsides of the auto, i say just get one, but if you feel you can shift it fast enough then the MT isnt much slower then the auto imo, and still a shit load more fun
I thought it was more than the shifting speed that made the auto's faster. I thought the ratio's were more favorable for drag racing?
JB335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #46
Joyrida
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Uk

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3355 View Post
ahahah you guys actually think auto is faster?!?!?! thats so funny manual ofcourse is faster look up any 0-60 times manual is always noticably faster thats so funny how u guys this auto is faster
Numbnutz
Joyrida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #47
335lvr
Major
 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California

Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrida View Post
Numbnutz
LOL at auto vs manual!

Comes down to how good the Manual driver is IMHO.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
335lvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #48
Terrance28
Brigadier General
 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX

Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3355 View Post
ahahah you guys actually think auto is faster?!?!?! thats so funny manual ofcourse is faster look up any 0-60 times manual is always noticably faster thats so funny how u guys this auto is faster
Quit reading the brochure, the autos are faster. I don't know about you guys but paddle shifting is fun as hell.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Terrance28 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
335lvr
Major
 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California

Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Quit reading the brochure, the autos are faster. I don't know about you guys but paddle shifting is fun as hell.
hahahaha...stop it!
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
335lvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
RipsE92
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goodyear, Arizona

Posts: 233
iTrader: (2)



http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html
RipsE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #51
Terrance28
Brigadier General
 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX

Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
hahahaha...stop it!
Stop what? The autos are proven to be faster, and paddle shifting is fun as hell sorry if you don't agree.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Terrance28 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #52
Army X5 S5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Army X5 S5's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deployed to Kuwait

Posts: 1,752
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3355 View Post
ahahah you guys actually think auto is faster?!?!?! thats so funny manual ofcourse is faster look up any 0-60 times manual is always noticably faster thats so funny how u guys this auto is faster
My only problem with your statement is this:

"Look up ANY..." This isn't a Honda Forum, or Chevy or whatever this is a BMW forum, so "ANY" has no play in this... The 335i/xi Auto is faster than it's manual counterpart by .2 seconds

Yeah if you look at a Honda Accord Manual vs Auto or a Chevy Camaro Manual vs Auto, the manual is faster, but we are talking about BMW's 3 Series, not "ANY"

Your point would be valid if this were another forum for another type of car, but your statement here holds no water...
__________________

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust, Boopie Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter...
Audi S5 2013 (Delivery Sept 2013): Mods pending review
Army X5 S5 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #53
XLR8MF
Captain
 
XLR8MF's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i sedan 2008
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mesa

Posts: 631
iTrader: (6)

Ok, so I just have to mention this.
1)Both cars, 6AT and 6MT are fast and fun as hell.
2)It is widely known FACT not OPINION, that Auto's cannot handle as much torque as a manual. With that said, these Auto's are built like a German tank and can take whatever you dish out.
3) With all MODS the SAME including Driver, Auto's are faster. HOW? WHY? The driver only counts when the other driver is also a manual and he sucks. NO driver can keep up with and 6AT because the computer is better, faster, and always gets it right. PERIOD.
4) Many people forget that even if the driver can shift with the Auto (and many can) the manual lowers boost pressure in between every shift. The AUTO does not and as soon as there is a shift you can feel the power is instantly there. The car and driver, edmunds testers are expert shifters but the autos all came out a tenth of a second quicker.
5) I have an Auto, am happy with it but there I times I have to put it in DS because of the slow pokes in town, it sometimes makes me want a 6MT. Hopes this helps. SEE #1.
XLR8MF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #54
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,624
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
Ok, so I just have to mention this.
1)Both cars, 6AT and 6MT are fast and fun as hell.
2)It is widely known FACT not OPINION, that Auto's cannot handle as much torque as a manual. With that said, these Auto's are built like a German tank and can take whatever you dish out.
3) With all MODS the SAME including Driver, Auto's are faster. HOW? WHY?
#1. Because the shifts are faster than any human can shift. FACT
#2. Since the shifts of a manual is slower, there is some lag time once shifted.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #55
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,624
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
You edited your post with what I was trying to say.
I agree.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
XLR8MF
Captain
 
XLR8MF's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i sedan 2008
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mesa

Posts: 631
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
You edited your post with what I was trying to say.
I agree.
You agree because you understand. What gets me is the facts are somewhat scientifically proven either through repetition or mechanical engineering but yet some people will go " UUHHH, I disagre!" Cracks me up.
XLR8MF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #57
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
 
Eazy-e's Avatar
 
Drives: e82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Diego of the San

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

Ive driven the new automatics they have on BMW and they are not bad. I have also driven an SMG e60 M5. Although it does shift faster and all, I still prefer having a clutch because it always makes the drive fun for me. Even in san diego traffic id rather have a manuel. I'm pissed cause I am slowly seeing the manuel tranny become extincted

Last edited by Eazy-e; 07-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Eazy-e is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #58
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmertt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,671
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
Ok, so I just have to mention this.
5) I have an Auto, am happy with it but there I times I have to put it in DS because of the slow pokes in town, it sometimes makes me want a 6MT. Hopes this helps. SEE #1.
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th. I was going up a two lane onramp that merges into one. I noticed that an SUV in the other lane was trying real hard to pass me so I gave the car a good amount of gas but the delay in downshifting made it not worth it to try and catch up. Long story short, I let the SUV pass.

That is possibly the only thing I will dislike about the auto. I cannot stand that delay in downshifting. If DS mode did not eat up so much gas, I would be using that for daily driving, but that is not practicle.

The thing that I like about the manual is that I have control over my shifts. At the onramp, I would have probably still been in 3rd or 4th gear so I would have had plenty of power to just gun it past the SUV.

I will be test driving a 6MT 335i soon to see how I will like it. I am not completely sold on either transmission so we will see.
bimmertt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #59
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,624
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th.
Actually, doesn't D shift 2-6th?
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #60
200Duece
Colonel
 
200Duece's Avatar
 
Drives: '73 2002,'12 X5 35d,'12 335 SL
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A Whale's Vagina, Ca

Posts: 2,552
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-e View Post
Ive driven the new automatics they have on BMW and they are not bad. I have also driven my brothers DSG e60 M5. Although it does shift faster and all, I still prefer having a clutch because it always makes the drive fun for me. Even in san diego traffic id rather have a manuel. I'm pissed cause I am slowly seeing the manuel tranny become extincted
When did the E60 get the DSG? Or where you looking for SMG, or DKG, or, DCT?
__________________


1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
200Duece is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #61
200Duece
Colonel
 
200Duece's Avatar
 
Drives: '73 2002,'12 X5 35d,'12 335 SL
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A Whale's Vagina, Ca

Posts: 2,552
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Actually, doesn't D shift 2-6th?
+1
__________________


1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
200Duece is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #62
335lvr
Major
 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California

Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Stop what? The autos are proven to be faster, and paddle shifting is fun as hell sorry if you don't agree.
Haha .."Proven" huh???? Please don't cite car and driver or another car rag with different tracks and conditions. In one of the other million auto vs. manual threads I conceded that the auto is "consistently faster". Which is true.

You are correct, I don't agree. If someone is ballsy enough to do WOT shifts and don't care about their tranny...I'm confident that the manual will be right along side the auto. Not sure why everyone migrates to this off-topic banter.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
335lvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #63
Dr_Dirt
Major
 
Dr_Dirt's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6AT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DFW

Posts: 1,475
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
Ok, so I just have to mention this.
2)It is widely known FACT not OPINION, that Auto's cannot handle as much torque as a manual.
.
I disagree with so-called fact #2.
The Buick Grand National used an automatic tranny because the manual trannies could not handle the torque.
Currently the new supercharged Vette will only be available with an automatic for the same reason....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219082.html
__________________
Verizon LTE speed
Dr_Dirt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #64
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
 
Eazy-e's Avatar
 
Drives: e82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Diego of the San

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
When did the E60 get the DSG? Or where you looking for SMG, or DKG, or, DCT?
fixed it. didn't feel like looking it up.. they are all the same shit to me
Eazy-e is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #65
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
 
midlife's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

Posts: 2,359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Quit reading the brochure, the autos are faster. I don't know about you guys but paddle shifting is fun as hell.
as i said before, i love my paddle shifters.....
but the word in forums now is that when drag racing, using the auto console shift lever actually shifts the car faster.

gonna check that out
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /
midlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #66
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
 
midlife's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

Posts: 2,359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th. I was going up a two lane onramp that merges into one. I noticed that an SUV in the other lane was trying real hard to pass me so I gave the car a good amount of gas but the delay in downshifting made it not worth it to try and catch up. Long story short, I let the SUV pass.

That is possibly the only thing I will dislike about the auto. I cannot stand that delay in downshifting. If DS mode did not eat up so much gas, I would be using that for daily driving, but that is not practicle.

The thing that I like about the manual is that I have control over my shifts. At the onramp, I would have probably still been in 3rd or 4th gear so I would have had plenty of power to just gun it past the SUV.

I will be test driving a 6MT 335i soon to see how I will like it. I am not completely sold on either transmission so we will see.
edit:
i disagree..no downshift delay for me. if you are in D, slap the paddle shifter to the left putting it into DS, while at the same time floor it - the auto will downshift immediately - as fast if not faster as any manual imho.
.. btw, screw the gas milage cause i am always in DS
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /

Last edited by midlife; 07-08-2009 at 05:44 PM.
midlife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST