E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Changing Supsension's questions. Please help

07-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Changing Supsension's questions. Please help

Hey guys,

Lets say you want to get a better suspension, does that mean you MUST drop it as well???

Dont really know anything about this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Try KW Street Comfort coilovers - minimal drop, better ride, and better handling...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
To improve handling, you need to go with BMW Performance or aftermarket. I am not aware of any aftermarket setups that will improve handling without lowering the car. You can just swap out the shocks but this will not drastically improve handling without doing the springs as well. Coilovers would be your best bet so you can at least dial in the ride height you are after although at their highest setting, they will be lower than stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Great thanks guys. I I'm pretty sure I get what your saying.
Better suspension means better handling so, lowering in inevitable.. Correct?

No such thing as a better suspension that OEM w/o lowering correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
chaz58
Captain
Rep

Drives: 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
Great thanks guys. I I'm pretty sure I get what your saying.
Better suspension means better handling so, lowering in inevitable.. Correct?

No such thing as a better suspension that OEM w/o lowering correct?
No, I wouldn’t say that.

First you have to define what you want to improve. Do you know specifically what you are looking for?

Good shocks will help in transitions and will make the car much better in autocross type situations. Adjustable shocks can allow you to fine tune the balance.

If you are looking for better ballance (between understeer/oversteer) and tunability, you can do that with just swaybars.

Where I live I can't really lower the car without ruining the handling (because of potholes and other horrible street conditions). I have ruined car's real world handling by using springs that were too low for the roads I use. Usually shocks and swaybars are all I need.

A car with a killer suspension that is bottoming out is going to handle worse than a well set up car that at stock ride height that doesn't bottom out.

Given that, springs (done right) are a great way to make everything about your car handle better (assuming you have the required suspension travel).

Everything has a tradeoff. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of different suspension pieces before you make a change. There are plenty of people that tune their car to the point it is just irritating, and end up selling their ride.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
M II
United_States
Rep

Drives:

KW would be a great option just in case you decide to take it lower in the future!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

I'd agree with chaz, you could do swaybars and aftermarket struts/shocks to improve handling without lowering the car. It may not be as dramatic as changing the springs at the same time, but you can definitely see improvements if you choose the right parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
ChrisTKHarris
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E46

Better suspensions don't necessarily drop the car, it's just that most kits that are designed for street cars DO lower the car as well since that's what most of the customers want from an aftermarket suspension. Lowering the car does change the suspension geometry of the car, sometimes for the better and sometimes not. While lowering a car can be beneficial, if it is too low it can affect the camber and the handling of the car.

Appreciate 0