E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #67
aerodyte
New Member
1

 
aerodyte's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hayward, CA


Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I disagree with so-called fact #2.
The Buick Grand National used an automatic tranny because the manual trannies could not handle the torque.
Currently the new supercharged Vette will only be available with an automatic for the same reason....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219082.html
In the recent Road and Track, they compared the 335d and an Audi Diesel. The article stated that BMW will not produce a 335d in a manual version...because of the huge torque

To be fair, I love manuals. They will always be more fun than an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #68
jippii ensio
Major
13

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road


Posts: 1,222
iTrader: (0)

Modding AT is even more rewarding. There are no downsides.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #69
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
70

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (8)

seriously...what happened to all the guys in this country. I swear, BMs get purchased by somebody who is looking for some cupholders and going fast in a straight line. Why not just step up to an AMG if thats what you are looking for?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #70
Rylen
Colonel
59

 
Rylen's Avatar
 
Drives: White 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orange County CA


Posts: 2,775
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
3.08 in the MN6, 3.46 in the Auto I believe. Part of the reason the Autos are faster.
Yep, and the autos have a taller overall 5th and 6th gears, so they get better highway MPG too
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #71
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX


Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Haha .."Proven" huh???? Please don't cite car and driver or another car rag with different tracks and conditions. In one of the other million auto vs. manual threads I conceded that the auto is "consistently faster". Which is true.

You are correct, I don't agree. If someone is ballsy enough to do WOT shifts and don't care about their tranny...I'm confident that the manual will be right along side the auto. Not sure why everyone migrates to this off-topic banter.
What are you talking about I am not citing car and driver or any other magazine. I take their reviews with a grain of salt. I get my info from this site with everyday drivers. And dude knock it off do whatever kind of shifting you want you are not shifting as fast as a computer. And what off topic? People claimed that manuals are more fun, well to me paddle shifting is fun also.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #72
Andras
Bodhisattva
Italy
3

 
Andras's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 MY07
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ferrara - Italy


Posts: 181
iTrader: (1)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the 335d only comes with auto because the manual couldn't handle the torque.
335d only comes with auto so that no matter if you launch in D or in DS, it will launch in second gear instead of first gear, just to be sure not to sprint faster than a stock 335i from 0 to 62mph

never underestimate the dark side of BMW marketing........
__________________
Salut, Gilles!


335I E92 6AT - V3.2 - GRUPPE M - FMI - RR DOWNPIPES - AE EXHAUST HFC
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #73
ragingclue
One cam is enough
83

 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville


Posts: 6,810
iTrader: (1)

I'd like to set fire to my paddles, and if they weren't attached to the car I would. The delay sucks and it's just not fun to "play manual." Ten percent of the time, I'm super pissed that I didn't get a 6MT, but 90% of my time is spent in traffic, glad that I didn't get a manual because my left knee consistently and randomly started to lock after my last injury.

The joy of a car like this in manual can not be matched by some silly flappy paddles, even if it is faster. Manual is more fun, auto in this case is consistently faster, and you couldn't pay me to drive a MT during my commute here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
ragingclue
One cam is enough
83

 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville


Posts: 6,810
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andras View Post
335d only comes with auto so that no matter if you launch in D or in DS, it will launch in second gear instead of first gear, just to be sure not to sprint faster than a stock 335i from 0 to 62mph

never underestimate the dark side of BMW marketing........
I was not aware of this... The DS in that car uses 2nd to launch too?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #75
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
267

 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB


Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I was not aware of this... The DS in that car uses 2nd to launch too?
DS in the 335i uses 2nd to launch as well unless you manually shift it into first.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #76
ragingclue
One cam is enough
83

 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville


Posts: 6,810
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
DS in the 335i uses 2nd to launch as well unless you manually shift it into first.
Hmm I was not aware of that. I don't feel a difference between a launch in DS and in M1.... You'd think it would be apparent.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #77
335lvr
Major
United_States
15

 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California


Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
What are you talking about I am not citing car and driver or any other magazine. I take their reviews with a grain of salt. I get my info from this site with everyday drivers. And dude knock it off do whatever kind of shifting you want you are not shifting as fast as a computer. And what off topic? People claimed that manuals are more fun, well to me paddle shifting is fun also.
So you get your info from non-professional, no control, variable modification peeps from this site.

It's cool, I really don't care. The topic was "any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods". Not sure how that relates to the which is faster auto vs. manual stuff.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #78
ellipsis212
I bought my ski mask in Aspen
11

 
ellipsis212's Avatar
 
Drives: MB 330i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC > RVA


Posts: 966
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
it's pretty much like, if your car isn't a professional race car (i.e. every single person on this board) then stop fretting over your exact specs and times. go w/ whatever feels more fun to you.

i honestly don't believe that BMW would release a car w/ a transmission that simply cannot stand up to the engine's power. just get whichever one you want more (which should be a manual since you want to have more fun driving around at speeds under 80mph most of the time )
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #79
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX


Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
So you get your info from non-professional, no control, variable modification peeps from this site.

It's cool, I really don't care. The topic was "any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods". Not sure how that relates to the which is faster auto vs. manual stuff.
Well I was commenting on the guy that said manuals are faster which they aren't and I was also commenting on the other guys who said autos are boring and manuals are fun which is personal preference. Non professionals or not most of the correct and helpful info comes off this board and the fact still remains that the autos are faster period.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #80
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
19

 
Dr_Dirt's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i 6AT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DFW


Posts: 1,475
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyte View Post
In the recent Road and Track, they compared the 335d and an Audi Diesel. The article stated that BMW will not produce a 335d in a manual version...because of the huge torque

To be fair, I love manuals. They will always be more fun than an automatic.
I love manuals too, there's no replacement for having full control of when your car shifts and how it shifts.
__________________
Verizon LTE speed
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #81
Insider
Captain
8

 
Insider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4,500 feet above sea level


Posts: 710
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th. I was going up a two lane onramp that merges into one. I noticed that an SUV in the other lane was trying real hard to pass me so I gave the car a good amount of gas but the delay in downshifting made it not worth it to try and catch up. Long story short, I let the SUV pass.

That is possibly the only thing I will dislike about the auto. I cannot stand that delay in downshifting. If DS mode did not eat up so much gas, I would be using that for daily driving, but that is not practicle.

The thing that I like about the manual is that I have control over my shifts. At the onramp, I would have probably still been in 3rd or 4th gear so I would have had plenty of power to just gun it past the SUV.

I will be test driving a 6MT 335i soon to see how I will like it. I am not completely sold on either transmission so we will see.
So drive in manual mode. Problem solved.
__________________
http://www.insiderpicks.com - The world's best stock picks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #82
Drakos
Lieutenant
16

 
Drakos's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 335xi E90/13 X5 35i M Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada


Posts: 513
iTrader: (1)

This is the way I look at it.. The manual is more fun because you are more with the car. You can engage/shift gears directly, where as the steptronic you have to press more than one click (ie..4th to 2nd). Autos eliminate human error, like missed gears or improper gear selection resulting in pre-mature wear. Look at youtube and how many times people miss gears or fry clutches at the track. I think the actual manual tranny will hold more torque but because of user input error, the auto is better to eliminate the user error creating premature damage. For autos, the problem lies usually in the overdrive gears. They are not designed to handle high levels of boost. Thankfully we have cars with very good ecms/pcms to regulate pressure. I have seen turbo cars in auto that have litterally fried the overdrive gears. I have an auto because the traffic here is getting really shitty and I often like driving drinking a bevvy or woofing down a burger. There are some mods that are useless in an auto like a bov unless you let go of the gas everytime you shift.
__________________
Cobb S2+ | AR DP | Helix FMIC | BMS DCI | Forge DV | ER UCP | KW V1 | BMW Performance Exhaust | P3 DBG |
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #83
335lvr
Major
United_States
15

 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California


Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Well I was commenting on the guy that said manuals are faster which they aren't and I was also commenting on the other guys who said autos are boring and manuals are fun which is personal preference. Non professionals or not most of the correct and helpful info comes off this board and the fact still remains that the autos are faster period.
haha...consistently faster yes! There is no fact that they are faster. Comes down to driver in the manual.....and it would be so close (assuming perfect launch and shifting) that it wouldn't matter. I'm done with this circular argument.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #84
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX


Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
haha...consistently faster yes! There is no fact that they are faster. Comes down to driver in the manual.....and it would be so close (assuming perfect launch and shifting) that it wouldn't matter. I'm done with this circular argument.
So basically you would need a professional driver to beat an average joe haha. Yeah that would back you up after a race, "You know you wouldn't have won if I was a better driver right". Lets just agree to disagree.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #85
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX


Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
This is the way I look at it.. The manual is more fun because you are more with the car. You can engage/shift gears directly, where as the steptronic you have to press more than one click (ie..4th to 2nd). Autos eliminate human error, like missed gears or improper gear selection resulting in pre-mature wear. Look at youtube and how many times people miss gears or fry clutches at the track. I think the actual manual tranny will hold more torque but because of user input error, the auto is better to eliminate the user error creating premature damage. For autos, the problem lies usually in the overdrive gears. They are not designed to handle high levels of boost. Thankfully we have cars with very good ecms/pcms to regulate pressure. I have seen turbo cars in auto that have litterally fried the overdrive gears. I have an auto because the traffic here is getting really shitty and I often like driving drinking a bevvy or woofing down a burger. There are some mods that are useless in an auto like a bov unless you let go of the gas everytime you shift.



Unless you are using it to replace the plastic weak dvs. Although I like the sound of the bov, the reason I bought it for was because my stock dvs were leaking boost, now its not an issue anymore. Sometimes I do let it off to hear the whoosh though.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #86
335lvr
Major
United_States
15

 
335lvr's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California


Posts: 1,441
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
So basically you would need a professional driver to beat an average joe haha. Yeah that would back you up after a race, "You know you wouldn't have won if I was a better driver right". Lets just agree to disagree.
Not even beat...just stay along side. Yes, agreed.
__________________
"I'm not sure what the price difference is, but the BMW feels $15,000 better." -Edmunds, 2007
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #87
XLR8MF
Captain
9

 
XLR8MF's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i sedan 2008
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mesa


Posts: 631
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I disagree with so-called fact #2.
The Buick Grand National used an automatic tranny because the manual trannies could not handle the torque.
Currently the new supercharged Vette will only be available with an automatic for the same reason....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219082.html
Yes I stand corrected. I had that particular fact backwards. I was actually looking to purchase the new CTS-V and found an article stating the same that the auto handles the torque better but the down side is it takes a little away in 6th gear WOT horsepower. However, the CTS-V and the corvette in your post are more powerful than even a tuned 335i.

Really just get what you can stand to drive day in and day out and don't look back. No regrets, have fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #88
ablangc
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ventura, CA


Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

I have driven manuals for +16 years. The 335i auto i just bought is my first ever auto car. The ONLY thing i hate about the auto is my second nature left foot. I have been driving manuals for so long that at times when i don't think about it, my left foot wanders trying to find the clutch to downshift and end up stepping on the brake. DOH!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST