E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > steering wheel alignment question

06-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Mantooth
Private First Class

Drives: 335i E92 montego blue

steering wheel alignment question

So I have noticed with all of my cars that the steering wheel (alignment) starts to get a little loose after a while. When the car is brand new I noticed that you could let go of the wheel on the freeway and the alignment is perfect. I wouldn't sway off to the right at all. I have heard before that cars are made to go to the right slightly so that they don't go into oncoming traffic or some crap like that but I don't believe that makes any sense.

Now I know mods completely change this and could be the reason.

I currently have 19'' wheels with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. Can this slightly affect it? I go the wheels on at about 2,000 miles and didn't really notice any steering alignment issue til now ~4,000 miles. I haven't done anything else to the suspension at all. I have not had an alignment since I put the wheels on. But I have tried that before on my 2 previous cars (Lexus IS300 and Audi S4) and it didn't help. The problem persisted.

My car now pulls a tiny bit to the right when driving and it really bothers me. It feels like a used car with 50,000 + miles on it.

I was going to lower the car probably just with eibach springs, but not i'm thinking go with BMW perf suspension and tell them to take them off if it gets worse.

Thoughts?...
      06-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain

Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Try swapping the tires left to right and see if the pull changes direction.
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
      07-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
dragazn
Captain

Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [2.88]
Send a message via Yahoo to dragazn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
So I have noticed with all of my cars that the steering wheel (alignment) starts to get a little loose after a while. When the car is brand new I noticed that you could let go of the wheel on the freeway and the alignment is perfect. I wouldn't sway off to the right at all. I have heard before that cars are made to go to the right slightly so that they don't go into oncoming traffic or some crap like that but I don't believe that makes any sense.

Now I know mods completely change this and could be the reason.

I currently have 19'' wheels with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. Can this slightly affect it? I go the wheels on at about 2,000 miles and didn't really notice any steering alignment issue til now ~4,000 miles. I haven't done anything else to the suspension at all. I have not had an alignment since I put the wheels on. But I have tried that before on my 2 previous cars (Lexus IS300 and Audi S4) and it didn't help. The problem persisted.

My car now pulls a tiny bit to the right when driving and it really bothers me. It feels like a used car with 50,000 + miles on it.

I was going to lower the car probably just with eibach springs, but not i'm thinking go with BMW perf suspension and tell them to take them off if it gets worse.

Thoughts?...
Any update on your problem? I'm having same setup for the tire size, and the car pulls to the right, never curb and hit big pot hole. ALso uneven wear on the tire
      07-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
chaz58
Captain

Drives: 328iT

If all else fails, you could take it to an alignment shop and tell them it is pulling right - they can adjust for that.

No, cars are not designed to pull right, but most all roads are crowned so that water will run off into the shoulders. Depending on the road, this will cause a very slight tendancy of the car to go right if you let go of the steering wheel (don't try this at home!).