E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Thinking about getting a DSLR...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,030
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
LOL...I didn't even check the post date...it was awhile ago

The way he was going back and forth, I'm curious to see the answer.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
golfinz
Lieutenant
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (3)

Same here!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
scorcherjf
Captain
scorcherjf's Avatar
11
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Well go hold both and see what feels best in your hands then...there really isn't a "bad" choice between Nikon or Canon, just preference.

I do like the fact that the D90 has the AF built-in, where the d5000 does not.

edit: Here are a few comparisons:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...T1i-500D.shtml
Yea I was reading that article before. It seems pretty Nikon biased... heh. Plus, the kit lens that comes with the T1i is a piece of crap so I would just get the body and my own lenses.

I went to best buy today and held the T1i, D90, D5000, and also the EOS 50d for good measure. The T1i and D5000 just feel too small... and this is coming from someone with pretty small hands. The D90 felt pretty nice, but the viewfinder wasn't as big and bright as the EOS 50d's. If only the 50d had video recording that would be the one I'd get. For now I think I'll just get the T1i, get some good glass, and then upgrade the body to the EOS 60d when Canon releases it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #26
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Remember, when evaluating a camera, determine how easy it is to adjust f-stop, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. A good interface should have buttons for ISO and shutter speed on the camera (you shouldn't have to go into a menu to get these) and there should be 2 dials (thumb and index finger) - one for shutter and one for aperture (f-stop).
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
frankzlin79's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
1,619
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, Texas

iTrader: (5)

I had a D60 for about two days and took it back and got a D5000. The D5000's lowlight indoor shooting abilitites were far superior to the D60. Also the live viewfinder and swivel screen are nifty features of the D5000.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #28
PNF
Colonel
PNF's Avatar
Taiwan
37
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wayne, PA / Taipei

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Yea I was reading that article before. It seems pretty Nikon biased... heh. Plus, the kit lens that comes with the T1i is a piece of crap so I would just get the body and my own lenses.

I went to best buy today and held the T1i, D90, D5000, and also the EOS 50d for good measure. The T1i and D5000 just feel too small... and this is coming from someone with pretty small hands. The D90 felt pretty nice, but the viewfinder wasn't as big and bright as the EOS 50d's. If only the 50d had video recording that would be the one I'd get. For now I think I'll just get the T1i, get some good glass, and then upgrade the body to the EOS 60d when Canon releases it.
+1

If video recording is a major feature you want, you should just get the 5D MK II , as it has everything you want + its a FF!

Personally, IMO video recording is just marketing gimmick to get those who are on the borderline to buy a DSLR.

Photographers dont need video recording and you dont ned that to take good picture. I think it is a great mistake for taking T1i over 50D just for the video recording function.

You should be concerned with the feel of the body, the user interface, comfort, algorithm/sensor capabilities of the body, not "video recording capability".


But T1i is a great camera still and I'd still highly recommend T1i for those who just started photography.


PS. Photography is about lighting, which is about the lens you use, not camera body.
__________________
2015 F80 Fully loaded (minus the CCB) YMB M3 / Individual Amaro Brown
BBS | KW | Vorsteiner | IND | Akrapovic | BMW CF Performance Interior

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #29
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,030
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
PS. Photography is about lighting, which is about the lens you use, not camera body.
Not exactly.

The new, full frame bodies, like the 5D MkII make much better use of light than DSLRs from only a year or two ago and much better than most films of old. The paradyme is shifting. Do you really need a 200mm f2.8 when the body function at ISO 1200 and even 3200, equals the performance of lesser cameras at 400 or 800 ISO??? Maybe, maybe not. I've been very, very happy with an f4 instead, saving weight, bulk and, perhaps, getting a superior lens.

There's no one pat answer. The answer will depend on how the camera is used.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #30
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Nikon D90 FTW
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #31
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Not exactly.

The new, full frame bodies, like the 5D MkII make much better use of light than DSLRs from only a year or two ago and much better than most films of old. The paradyme is shifting. Do you really need a 200mm f2.8 when the body function at ISO 1200 and even 3200, equals the performance of lesser cameras at 400 or 800 ISO??? Maybe, maybe not. I've been very, very happy with an f4 instead, saving weight, bulk and, perhaps, getting a superior lens.

There's no one pat answer. The answer will depend on how the camera is used.

Dave

Quoted for truth.

Glass is still usually more important, but the advancements in sensor technology makes a huge difference. In a film camera you swapped in a new "sensor" with every roll of film. With the sensor being part of the camera now, bodies do matter more.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST