E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > M3 Detailing help?

07-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
feardafoot
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black

M3 Detailing help?

Hey I'm a new member here and i just bought a 2006 Black/Black M3 yesterday. I need help with best wax solutions and best care for the black paint. It's a 06 so of course there are a few minor dings. Rite now i just have the eagle one tire wet. Nothing else really i just want to know what some of you guys use to pop your cars and treat the paint also. Interior and exterior. Thanks for any help and thanks for letting me join.

Brooks (Raleigh, NC)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here's a full write up on an 05 M3 with products used and some helpful tips.

BMW M3 Detail

This should get you started in the right direction. Also be sure to read over our auto detailing guide for a better understanding of each step of the detailing process.

If you have any questions on anything, let me know.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

Welcome, and congrats on the new ride!

The key to a really clean car is the prep work before the wax. But Poorboy's Natty's Blue is a great choice for black cars. It's a very reasonably priced wax that performs great. You could also step up to Dodo Juice Purple Haze or other higher end waxes, but Natty's is a good place to start.

If you're looking for a full exterior detail, you'll want to follow the processes outlined in the links George posted above - wash, clay, polish, seal, wax. They are explained in great detail above, so I won't go into any more here unless you have specific questions.

For the interior, you may want some Leatherique for the leather, 303 Aerospace Protectant for the plastics/vinyls (which doesn't leave a greasy finish), and some Stoner's Invisible Glass to clean the windows. A good vacuum goes a long way too.

Browse around DI's website and see what catches your eye.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe

+1 on Nattys Blue especially on a black car. As Jopa mentioned definates are Leatherique Oil and Leatherique PC, 303 Aero, and Stoners Invisible. Theres a lot to learn about detailing....a good resource is the detailing guide on DI. Take your time to do it right the first time and you wont regret it. Good luck and post some pics when ur done.

ps e90post coupon code for 10% off
      07-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
feardafoot
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black

Thanks everyone. Getting this ride was a bit pricey for me right now. Until i can get all the things i need for detailing, i'm just keeping a cover on the car and spraying it off and drying it before putting the cover on after driving.

This guy at my job says something called banana wax is great on black paint but he says it's $15.00 for a big bottle. You "usually" get what you pay for in this world so i'll take my chances with you guy's suggestions and not his. Don't get me wrong his cadillac and corvette look really good. But the paint on my car has chips and a lot of tar and stuff that dont just come off. It's gunna be tough i think but i'll get it done.

I been wanting this ride since 01 when i started liking the body style. Just couldn't afford it and black on black is hard to find too. It's amazing how many people stop and look when you ride by. I guess they want it like i did. They point and everything.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

I'm another big fan of Natty Blue -- But keep in mind that it doesn't last too long (a month or so?), so you may want to put a sealant down first. Zaino, Klasse, or JetSeal, for example.

Here's my favorite photo of my car. 2 coats of JetSeal and 2 coats of Natty Blue

07-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

I have a black 335i and have tried all sorts of polishes/waxes. The best combo by a long way is Dodo Juice Lime Prime followed by Dodo Juice Purple Haze- its so quick and easy to use and gives amazing results on black cars.
Lime prime is a polish/cleanser that prepares your paint for the wax. Purple haze is a soft carnuba wax designed for dark paint finishes that lasts for about 3 months.
I follow this sequence (if paint is in good condition and doesnt require clay bar):

1.Wash car

2.Rinse car

3.While car is still wet apply Lime Prime using a foam applicator pad-do half of the car and then buff off with a microfibre towel then repeat on other half (whole car takes 20mins) This will leave your paint in pristine condition and with no streaking/water marks. It will also remove any old wax that was on your car so you must wax after application.

4. Apply Purple haze wax using your hand. Rub your fingers into the wax pot and apply by hand to the car. It glides onto your paintwork and can even be used in direct sunlight unlike some waxes. Apply to one side of the car and buff off. Apply to rear and buff. Do other side of the car and buff off, finally apply to the front and buff off. The whole car takes about 30 mins to wax and buff. The results are stunning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0