E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Breitling or rolex?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
335diesel
Brigadier General
335diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Does a 10k watch tell the time BETTER than a 50 one? No. And it needs constant "servicing."

Does a 40k car go faster, brake better, protect it's passengers better than, last longer than, often retain it's value better than a 2k one? Yes it does.

A 3k Rolex may use better parts than a 1k Longines- but a Casio will still kick both of it's butts for accuracy and reliability. And if it does break (unlikey - one of my G Shocks has lasted 12 years and has been horribly abused), then buy another.

The status part of BMWs is why I haven't had one until very recently - it totally put me off. I'm learning to live with it but it still makes me cringe - we bought the car because it's good. If a Skoda could do the same job, we'd have one of those instead.

Trust me - I have friends and relatives with serious money - none have a flashy watch. In fact the only wealthy person I know with one made his fortune from selling high end antique jewellery - so that's not a bad excuse.

It just seems that those with proper money don't feel the need to flash it - and nowhere is that more so than down here in Cornwall. And to me a flash watch, which performs no better than a cheapo one, is the embodiment of trying to shout about wealth. If you absolutely must have one, then why not try a subtle model like something low key from Patek Phillipe or similar? Because then I guess people might not notice it... It's a bit like spending thousands on a mechanical food blender - when an electric one does the job ten times better.

Xenon - it seems I have an ally. One that know his tyre sizes too!
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
Jude1
Captain
Jude1's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
690
Posts

 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Xenon - it seems I have an ally. One that know his tyre sizes too!
The fact that you feel you need to have an ally makes me laugh....the OP was just asking opinion about two brands of watch, let's let him get it back on track.

I respect your views although I don't agree with them and obvioulsy vice versa. It's also Friday afternoon and time to wind down a little....

Jules.

ps thank god I don't wear a Rolex...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #47
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
virtualbong's Avatar
18
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Does a 10k watch tell the time BETTER than a 50 one? No. And it needs constant "servicing."

Does a 40k car go faster, brake better, protect it's passengers better than, last longer than, often retain it's value better than a 2k one? Yes it does.

A 3k Rolex may use better parts than a 1k Longines- but a Casio will still kick both of it's butts for accuracy and reliability. And if it does break (unlikey - one of my G Shocks has lasted 12 years and has been horribly abused), then buy another.

The status part of BMWs is why I haven't had one until very recently - it totally put me off. I'm learning to live with it but it still makes me cringe - we bought the car because it's good. If a Skoda could do the same job, we'd have one of those instead.

Trust me - I have friends and relatives with serious money - none have a flashy watch. In fact the only wealthy person I know with one made his fortune from selling high end antique jewellery - so that's not a bad excuse.

It just seems that those with proper money don't feel the need to flash it - and nowhere is that more so than down here in Cornwall. And to me a flash watch, which performs no better than a cheapo one, is the embodiment of trying to shout about wealth. If you absolutely must have one, then why not try a subtle model like something low key from Patek Phillipe or similar? Because then I guess people might not notice it... It's a bit like spending thousands on a mechanical food blender - when an electric one does the job ten times better.

Xenon - it seems I have an ally. One that know his tyre sizes too!
Why are you getting so worked up about this?

Some people like nice things that may be expensive...some people like nice things that are less expensive.

btw. Breitling in my opinion.
__________________
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 (Current)
2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #48
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
virtualbong's Avatar
18
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
...
ps thank god I don't wear a Rolex...
You vagrant...hahaha
__________________
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 (Current)
2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #49
mikeysix
Lieutenant
mikeysix's Avatar
Scotland
8
Rep
477
Posts

 
Drives: F20 116i m sport estoril
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kirkcaldy

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
thats it sorted then guys i'm gettin a casio because 335diesel has given me a tellin off!!! LOL!!!! get off the stage mate its got scud all to do with status,wealth,casios or..........................food blenders!

I'm away for a beer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #50
335diesel
Brigadier General
335diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Timex, low end Seiko, etc are allowed too BTW...
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #51
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
Dr Dave's Avatar
United Kingdom
63
Rep
5,541
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Have never been one to wear a watch and doubt I ever will be.

Can't see the point in expensive watches; sure they might look nice but they don't tell the time any better than a cheapie.

The same doesn't apply to cars though......so I'm with 335d on this one.

My bro who lives/works in Kent is into all this expensive watch malarkey, it just fails to interest me.......but he drives a VW Passat! Says it all!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #52
stevie996
First Lieutenant
stevie996's Avatar
United Kingdom
6
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes Benz E250 CDI AMG
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wales,UK

iTrader: (3)

Wouldn't it being a boring world if we were all the same?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #53
Hedges
Major General
Hedges's Avatar
61
Rep
5,180
Posts

 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (8)

Nay to both! Mickey Mouse is where its at!

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #54
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
Dr Dave's Avatar
United Kingdom
63
Rep
5,541
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie996 View Post
Wouldn't it being a boring world if we were all the same?

Steve
Indeed Steve, I guess you're right.

I'll sit on the fence with this one (but I still agree with ya '335!")
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #55
Steve A
Brigadier General
Steve A's Avatar
United Kingdom
42
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
What about Philippe Patek?
Its 'Patak Philippe' steph

Nice watches are male Jewellry simple.

I Have 2 Panerai, 1 Rolex, 1 Mont Blanc, 1 Oris. sold others

Some Have metal straps, some have brown alligator straps, black straps etc

Each worn with different clothes etc

I like my Panerai's the best as most people dont know what they are are and it nice walking around with 7k on your arm, it gives me i nice warm glow inside.

335diesel If its not your bag then fair play but lets not knock others that like them.

That like saying jesus you gat 335d in SE????? that is a shit spec mate and black is so last year. why not get cloth seats instead of leather what a waste and a sunroof should just use your a/c. And i know your response is because i like it and it fulfills my wants and needs. And that is the entire point.

I rest my case.

OP Rolex , because i think breitling are GASH way to look at me, better yet buy a Panerai thats a proper watch.
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #56
scooba0010
Colonel
scooba0010's Avatar
United Kingdom
39
Rep
2,214
Posts

 
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
Try getting of your high horse and think before you tarnish everyone who owns a decent quality watch with the same brush.....

A 335d being faster and breaking harder than a 320d is hardly a justifiable answer when there is a 15k gap in price....

A 3k Rolex/IWC/Breitling uses better quality parts than say a 1k Longines and you buy it based on this, it's ability to retain some of it's value and in some instances desirability. A 3k watch is nothing to person who spends 10k on one.....but are they buying one just for status?

Most people outside of BMW Ownership think that BMW Owners buy BMW's just for status.....is that the case with ALL BMW owners, does that make you a subject of your own rant?
As i said early on in this post BOTH ARE VERY NICE WATCHES !,buy the one that makes you smile ,its personal and to be honest no one will notice it apart from you ,
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #57
G33
Colonel
35
Rep
2,082
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Its 'Patak Philippe' steph

Nice watches are male Jewellry simple.

I Have 2 Panerai, 1 Rolex, 1 Mont Blanc, 1 Oris. sold others

Some Have metal straps, some have brown alligator straps, black straps etc

Each worn with different clothes etc

I like my Panerai's the best as most people dont know what they are are and it nice walking around with 7k on your arm, it gives me i nice warm glow inside.

335diesel If its not your bag then fair play but lets not knock others that like them.

That like saying jesus you gat 335d in SE????? that is a shit spec mate and black is so last year. why not get cloth seats instead of leather what a waste and a sunroof should just use your a/c. And i know your response is because i like it and it fulfills my wants and needs. And that is the entire point.

I rest my case.

OP Rolex , because i think breitling are GASH way to look at me, better yet buy a Panerai thats a proper watch.
no its not...its PATEK Philippe! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #58
jeveryday
Colonel
jeveryday's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,230
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Sparkling Graphite 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Breitling Bently = Untouchable!


Bentley Series FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #59
335diesel
Brigadier General
335diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Steve A - sort of fair enough! I do like the Mickey Mouse watch though...

As for the SE spec - it's all about stealth - at all costs...

My idea of a nightmare spec is a 318d with full M Sport kit...

Even I know it's PatEk Phillipe...
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #60
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
21
Rep
1,868
Posts

 
Drives: 335i DCT E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Windsor, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post

OP Rolex , because i think breitling are GASH way to look at me, better yet buy a Panerai thats a proper watch.
Dont agree re Rolex vs Breitling in fact its the other way around IMO.

Totally agree re Panerai !!! Not many people actually know about them for some reason.
__________________
Engine Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, Wedge Flash, BMS DCI, ETS FMIC, ER CP, AR Catless DP's, BMS OCC, BMS Cowel filters & Forge DV's.
Running Gear Mods: Graphite Atomic CSL's, Birds B3 Suspension, Stoptech Grooved Rotors & Yellow Stuff pads.
Cosmetic: Performance Grill and Diffuser, Carbon Badges, Carbon Interior
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #61
Steve A
Brigadier General
Steve A's Avatar
United Kingdom
42
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
no its not...its PATEK Philippe! lol
i was pissed and i cant spell at the best of times

my accountant wears one, personnally think they are really overpriced tat.
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #62
G33
Colonel
35
Rep
2,082
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
i was pissed and i cant spell at the best of times

my accountant wears one, personnally think they are really overpriced tat.
a agree only old really men wear them too!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #63
steph.uk
325D E92
steph.uk's Avatar
Scotland
1
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SCOTLAND

iTrader: (0)

Philippe Patek



Got it right...........


Just the other way round lol


Don't like them anyway so does not really matter
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #64
335diesel
Brigadier General
335diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have seen a couple of very nice looking Panerais - even though I don't like flashy watches...

I like this one a lot...



But this will do a better job probably for 200:

__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #65
Penyfan1960
Trooper
Penyfan1960's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S E London

iTrader: (0)

It is obvious and is inferred to in some of the above posts. i.e. One should always aim to wear a watch to suit the occasion.
e.g. 1) A black tie evening: Cartier Tank with Black Crocodile strap
2) On the yacht: Rolex Submariner
3) On the plane: Breitling Navitimer
4) in the City: Jaeger-le-coutre/Patek Philippe(I don't mind which!)

But nothing is perfect in my world!
But almost! Iv'e got a 320D M-Sport Le Man Blue on order.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST