E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GruppeM ram intake - I'm fuckin excited!!!

11-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #45
im0y
IT'S MORPHIN TIME!!!

Drives: Three Thirty Eye

Hey I got this same Gruppe-M Replica in ebay for $440 shipped ($350 + $90 shipping)

I know this might still be expensive for others, but it was listed for $500 (+ $90 shipping). I shot him an offer for $350, but I wasn't really expecting him to accept it But the next day, lo and behold, I got an e-mail that I won the item

This was totally unexpected and caught me by surprise. I mean I already bought the flat K&N OEM filter replacement for the mean time (which hasn't even arrived yet). Now I have to sell it once I get it :mad:

I'm so psyched because for the longest time, I've been looking for a Gruppe-M Replica that I could afford, but $590 was still too expensive for me. I even asked Felix if he could help us to create one, but I guess I really couldn't wait anymore I even created, in anticipation, a lower bumper grille air ram intake (ala Dinan/Ksfrogman) before knowing when I could get a replica (I just have the hole covered )

I think the seller still have 2-3 listed... Now that the word is out, shoot him an offer for $299 No wait... wait until I get the intake and see if it's any good

Last edited by im0y; 11-20-2006 at 02:51 AM.
      11-20-2006, 02:08 AM   #46
uhaulball
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 330xi

Send a message via AIM to uhaulball
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
haha nice try man~

I dunno... what is the point of getting real one since I have same functionable

replica?

You should get replica one bro~

They are pretty bad a$$

And if you get the intake, I can install it for you!

I'm making trip to NYC pretty often
cool

can u make it to the meet in my sig? i really wanna see ur car (and hear it!) since most of the cars at that meet are stock.
      12-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #47
im0y
IT'S MORPHIN TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
Wow!!

I didn't even remember that I posted this!! haha

Its been about year now with that intake and their great!!

I have A/T and that bring the rpm higher than stock intake.

Also sounds awesome!!!

As long as I have Original K&N filter, there is no huge difference between

real GrouppeM and replica!

All other parts has exactly same looking and dimension!!

anyone here can help me to post some video clip???
Hi zzinco79,

I just got the Gruppe M replica intake from eBay and it does come with an original K&N Filter.

I agree that visually, it almost looks the same as the original one, except for the CF shield. It seems the real one fits better on the side/edge that touches the underhood lines (the part of the CF shield you see when you open the hood). But I don't think it's really noticeable, specially if you haven't seen the original one.

As far as performance, I don't know any difference because I don't have the original to compare against. However comparing with the OEM intake, the car is definitely more responsive at the lower RPMs. The intake is also now audible, but not too much (it's just a nice growl that's not overwhelming/annoying).

I also tried to replicate the stalling issues I heard from other people who had their intake replaced. The only occassion I could make the car stall is when the RPM goes below 500. And the only occassion I could get below 500 RPM is when I'm cruising at speeds more than 55MPH and then shifting to neutral. So cruising in neutral at speeds more than 55MPH drops the RPM below 500 and stalls the car.

However, any speed lower than 55MPH and the RPM doesn't go below 500 (it stays around 700 to be specific - which is the same as idle I believe) and the car doesn't stall. I even tried rolling to a stop in neutral (many many times), but the car won't stall (because the RPM stays above 500).

I guess this is not really an issue for me because I'd never cruise in neutral while going more than 55MPH.

However, I'm just wondering, does anyone know what's possibly causing the RPM to go below 500?

Last edited by im0y; 12-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.
      12-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #48
ksfrogman
Major General

Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
I'm posting on here what I wrote to you in my PM.

The stalling issue occurred a couple of times early on, but hasn't in quite awhile. Either my car has adapted with timing/fuel adaptations, or I have changed the way I drive my car. I don't ever go from 55+ to neutral.

I'm not sure what caused this, but I suspect the increased free flow of air decreases the vacuum pressure more abruptly during quick changes from higher to lower engine rpms, but temporarily, which exerts control over the idle rpm.
      12-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #49
im0y
IT'S MORPHIN TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
I'm posting on here what I wrote to you in my PM.

The stalling issue occurred a couple of times early on, but hasn't in quite awhile. Either my car has adapted with timing/fuel adaptations, or I have changed the way I drive my car. I don't ever go from 55+ to neutral.

I'm not sure what caused this, but I suspect the increased free flow of air decreases the vacuum pressure more abruptly during quick changes from higher to lower engine rpms, but temporarily, which exerts control over the idle rpm.
Hey thanks for your reply/comments frogman

After you said that the increased free flow air might be exerting control over my idle rpm and stalling my car, I tried to reduce/shorten my lower air ram intake. After doing so, I no longer have any stalling issues The fastest I tried cruising in neutral (without the car stalling) is around 85MPH and the RPM stayed at 700

In the picture below, the white tube is what it used to be and the black tube is what it is now:
Name:  IMG_1618.JPG
Views: 759
Size:  137.4 KB

I guess before, my ghetto custom lower air ram intake was too close and it's producing too much airflow (which most likely is what causing my car to stall when cruising in neutral at speeds more than 55MPH).

In either case, this is really not an issue because I'd never cruise in neutral at those speeds So this Gruppe M replica is really great y'all Go get yourself one for less than half the price of the original one

Here's a photo of the top side of the replica intake:
Name:  IMG_1626_b.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  224.0 KB

Here's some photos of the rest of my ghetto custom lower air ram intake
Name:  IMG_1624_b.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  176.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1649_b.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  134.5 KB

Here's how it looks like in the front (I have a kerscher front bumper).

This is the bumper's lower right grille. You can see the lower air ram intake (the round hole in the middle-right side of picture) and the brake cooling air intake (left side of the picture that has some orange/yellow light):
Name:  IMG_1670_b.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  117.0 KB

Here's the bumper's lower left grille. Obviously no air ram intake, only the air intake for brake cooling (highlighted with blue cardboard):
Name:  IMG_1683_b.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  132.7 KB

Last edited by im0y; 12-11-2006 at 01:24 AM.
      08-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
spacemonkey1112
Captain

Drives: E90 325i AW

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by im0y View Post
Hey thanks for your reply/comments frogman

After you said that the increased free flow air might be exerting control over my idle rpm and stalling my car, I tried to reduce/shorten my lower air ram intake. After doing so, I no longer have any stalling issues The fastest I tried cruising in neutral (without the car stalling) is around 85MPH and the RPM stayed at 700

In the picture below, the white tube is what it used to be and the black tube is what it is now:
Attachment 50656

I guess before, my ghetto custom lower air ram intake was too close and it's producing too much airflow (which most likely is what causing my car to stall when cruising in neutral at speeds more than 55MPH).

In either case, this is really not an issue because I'd never cruise in neutral at those speeds So this Gruppe M replica is really great y'all Go get yourself one for less than half the price of the original one

Here's a photo of the top side of the replica intake:
Attachment 50657

Here's some photos of the rest of my ghetto custom lower air ram intake
Attachment 50658
Attachment 50659

Here's how it looks like in the front (I have a kerscher front bumper).

This is the bumper's lower right grille. You can see the lower air ram intake (the round hole in the middle-right side of picture) and the brake cooling air intake (left side of the picture that has some orange/yellow light):
Attachment 50660

Here's the bumper's lower left grille. Obviously no air ram intake, only the air intake for brake cooling (highlighted with blue cardboard):
Attachment 50661
do you have DIY for your ghetto cold air system? haha I would love to try it out
      08-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #51
Johnny D
Major

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
6 year old thread and dude hasn't logged in since February...