E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension options for occasional track days



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
JPA
Private First Class
 
Drives: German
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 106
iTrader: (3)

Suspension options for occasional track days

Hello,


I am interested in hearing from some of you who have upgraded suspension parts as to what works best for mostly DD with occasional track days.

Coil overs, sway bars, strut braces, M3 suspension parts -- basically what set-ups work well together to have a firm but reasonable ride around town with the ability to really enjoy a neutral car at the track. Also interested in tire and brake choices.

Thanks,
John
JPA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
scott@bmwhn
Major
 
Drives: Msport 328i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,176
iTrader: (3)

Your best bet would be the BMW performance or Dinan. Moderately lowered ride height, stiffer, tighter but still very forgiving on the streets.
__________________
13' Msport 328i _Mperformance - Modulare - H&R_

Previous: 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
scott@bmwhn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
BOOSTP
Booster
 
BOOSTP's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 Dinan Beast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto (Go Leafs, ya right)

Posts: 47
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I do occassional track, I'm running H&R Sport springs as a pretty good compromise. I actually find them a little soft, not sure if the Race versions would have been better. Probably H&R or Dinan or pretty much whatever for sways is up next for me, seems to make a huge difference. Tires....still using my road rubber but thinking the best option is to have a seperate set for the track (I'm picking up something cheap on Kijiji or off one of the forums)
__________________
BOOSTP is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
David9962000
Lieutenant
 
David9962000's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 548
iTrader: (1)

What BMW do you have? Does it have a sport PKG?
David9962000 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
BOOSTP
Booster
 
BOOSTP's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 Dinan Beast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto (Go Leafs, ya right)

Posts: 47
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
hmmm, showing A6 and S4 in his profile ?????
__________________
BOOSTP is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
reprod
Major
 
Drives: 435i (M-Sport)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (6)

What dollar figures are in your budget is also a good question.
Is this a lease or purchase?
__________________
'08 Sparkling Graph. E92 335xi (ZSP w/ 18s | Saddle Br. | Grey Poplar) (Returned)
'11 Space Grey E92 335xi M-Sport (KWv1 Coils | Saddle Brown | Bamboo) (Returned)
'14 Mineral Grey F32 335i M-Sport (DHP | LED Lights | Coral Red | Hexagonal Aluminum)
reprod is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

Posts: 3,413
iTrader: (1)

How "occasional" is it? Twice a year? 6 times a year? 12-20 weekends?

I mean, if it's 4-6 times a year, what is so wrong with the factory suspension that you are willing to give up daily driving comfort for *maybe* 10 out of 365 days in a year? In my not so humble opinion, a switch of tires to something a little suitable for track use will go a much, MUCH longer way than $2,000-$5,000 worth of suspension work.

And if you've not taken the car to the track yet, how exactly do you know how "not neutral" the car actually is? I've driven a ton of E9X at the track, and "understeer" only shows up if you A) do something STOOPID and B) you're driving way past what the car is capable of doing, and at that point, the TIRES are still the most important aspect of the car, not the suspension.

Frankly, the OEM sport suspension is about PERFECT for a daily drive and casual track work. Like anywhere from 4-6 weekends a year. If you're going once a month, then you either have a serious track addiction problem, in which upgrading the suspension makes perfect sense since it's probably going to spend just as much time on track as it does on street and making that compromise is not an issue, or you're going to the track for FREE in which case, you should seriously consider buying a track dedicated car (since that $1,000 you're spending a month to go to the track makes for a NICE monthly payment on something a little bit more appropriate, like a Lotus Exige S).
The HACK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
satakal
Major
 
satakal's Avatar
 
Drives: e46
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 1,474
iTrader: (2)

Stay stock. It feels so good to smoke modded cars while being stock. The look on dudes' faces when they find out they're slower than you with 25% more power and a 5k suspension is what its all about.

But, if you suck at driving, spend lots of monies on mods to make up for lack of talent.
satakal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
200Duece
Colonel
 
200Duece's Avatar
 
Drives: '73 2002,'12 X5 35d,'12 335 SL
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A Whale's Vagina, Ca

Posts: 2,552
iTrader: (5)

LOL
__________________


1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
200Duece is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
200Duece
Colonel
 
200Duece's Avatar
 
Drives: '73 2002,'12 X5 35d,'12 335 SL
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A Whale's Vagina, Ca

Posts: 2,552
iTrader: (5)

look at you useing the GranTurismo method
__________________


1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
200Duece is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
eltoshan
Private First Class
 
eltoshan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 131
iTrader: (1)

I agree, the stock sport suspension is great, except that like all non M BMWs, it doesn't have enough camber. That's not to say you can't have fun though. I would get better as a driver first before attempting any mods on an already incredibly capable car.
eltoshan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 YMB, 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 10,059
iTrader: (0)

I found the stock ZSP suspension w/rfts OK. Switching to extreme non-rfts was great. Swapping out for M3 suspension bits reduced slop but increased bump harshness. BMW Perf springs and dampers are a bit of a disappointment, still too soft with non-rfts. LSD was a big improvement. I would like to further reduce weight, stiffen chassis, and further upgrade springs/dampers.

It is much more fun to drive a car on the street, off-road, & track that has better steering feel and more predictable handling. Better tires, LSD, M3 bits, springs/dampers, & weight loss make for a more responsive E9x.

I am a big advocate of making suspension changes as a planned system. Wish we had access to BMWs CAD/CAM programs to sort this stuff out.
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

Posts: 3,413
iTrader: (1)

I'm a BIG proponent of finding out what the car can do in stock form first before you do anything to it (although I've already made changes to my WRX Wagon before going to the track...But that car just BEGS to be messed with). In my experience there's absolutely NOTHING on the stock BMW sport suspension that should preclude you from having fun at the track...

And personally, that $2,000-$5,000 you may have to spend for all that mod is BETTER SPENT for track days anyway. Depending on where you are, that's around 10 weekends (or 5 if you're in California) on the track. That experience is worth way more than any M3 suspension or fancy springs and shocks or LSD COMBINED.
The HACK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
eltoshan
Private First Class
 
eltoshan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 131
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm a BIG proponent of finding out what the car can do in stock form first before you do anything to it (although I've already made changes to my WRX Wagon before going to the track...But that car just BEGS to be messed with). In my experience there's absolutely NOTHING on the stock BMW sport suspension that should preclude you from having fun at the track...

And personally, that $2,000-$5,000 you may have to spend for all that mod is BETTER SPENT for track days anyway. Depending on where you are, that's around 10 weekends (or 5 if you're in California) on the track. That experience is worth way more than any M3 suspension or fancy springs and shocks or LSD COMBINED.
+9001

even the best suspension in the world is no substitute for actual seat time. I would suggest attending some local auto-X's to get a feel for the car and practice.
eltoshan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
chaz58
Captain
 
chaz58's Avatar
 
Drives: 328iT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit Burbs

Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Wonderful advice. Stock ZSP is more than anyone needs for the first set of driving events. After that you may want to look at camber and other tweaks. If you are serious, a set of tires/wheels will pay off in the long run, but that will come later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
How "occasional" is it? Twice a year? 6 times a year? 12-20 weekends?

I mean, if it's 4-6 times a year, what is so wrong with the factory suspension that you are willing to give up daily driving comfort for *maybe* 10 out of 365 days in a year? In my not so humble opinion, a switch of tires to something a little suitable for track use will go a much, MUCH longer way than $2,000-$5,000 worth of suspension work.

And if you've not taken the car to the track yet, how exactly do you know how "not neutral" the car actually is? I've driven a ton of E9X at the track, and "understeer" only shows up if you A) do something STOOPID and B) you're driving way past what the car is capable of doing, and at that point, the TIRES are still the most important aspect of the car, not the suspension.

Frankly, the OEM sport suspension is about PERFECT for a daily drive and casual track work. Like anywhere from 4-6 weekends a year. If you're going once a month, then you either have a serious track addiction problem, in which upgrading the suspension makes perfect sense since it's probably going to spend just as much time on track as it does on street and making that compromise is not an issue, or you're going to the track for FREE in which case, you should seriously consider buying a track dedicated car (since that $1,000 you're spending a month to go to the track makes for a NICE monthly payment on something a little bit more appropriate, like a Lotus Exige S).
__________________
_________________________________________________

chaz58 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
chaz58
Captain
 
chaz58's Avatar
 
Drives: 328iT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit Burbs

Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Its even more fun passing modded 335s in a stock station wagon, or pulling on them on the straights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
Stay stock. It feels so good to smoke modded cars while being stock. The look on dudes' faces when they find out they're slower than you with 25% more power and a 5k suspension is what its all about.

But, if you suck at driving, spend lots of monies on mods to make up for lack of talent.
__________________
_________________________________________________

chaz58 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
ECSTuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
ECSTuning's Avatar
 
Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,725
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to ECSTuning
We have a large selection of suspension components available, from a variety of different manufactures. The setup that works best for you will probably depend on how much time you spend at the track.

The FK Coilover Kits offer a great ride for a daily driver with adjustable height and dampening, but are probably a tad on the soft side for heavy track use.

Unfortunately track specific coilovers are usually on the extreme of the stiff side for daily driving, so finding the right combination can certainly be tricky. If the car is mainly a daily driver, followed by a few track days through the year. I'd suggest a good dampening adjustable coilover setup, mixed with some upgraded sways / strut bars.
__________________

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST