E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Renault handed suspended disqualification

09-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Renault handed suspended disqualification

FIA has handed the Renault team a suspended disqualification from the World Championship following World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing in Paris. The punishment will be placed on hold until the end of the 2011 season and will only be active should a similar happening take place before then.
Fernando Alonso, Nelson Piquet Jr, Bernie Ecclestone, Max Mosley and Bernard Rey, the president of the Renault Formula One team were in attendance at the World Motor Sport Council meeting.
Attached Images

09-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wow, I was just watching something on this last night. Sucks to be those guys, but that's what you get for trying to rig a race

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Sounds like nothing more than a wrist slap.
      09-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Exactly. I don't follow the series that closely but after reading about that incident, I would expect more from a professional organization.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

That is just a big load of crap. So it is okay to intentionally crash one of your cars to get your other driver/team up in the rankings as long as you don't do it again.

WTF is wrong with the FIA?!?!?!?
      09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
That's kinda like the McLaren "liar-gate", a three race ban...but suspended as well...so both teams (McLaren and Renault) both got a wrist slap of being dishonest and cheated in the sport...

Also, I just cannot stand how FIA kept giving everyone involved "immunity" to try to get them to tell the truth....shit....like Piquet Jr....he's as guilty as Flavio and Pat....hell...he's the one who committed the crash....he's just as stupid as the people who told him to....
      09-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

As far as 'bringing the sport into disrepute', it seems like this incident was a lot worse than the Stepneygate saga . . . and McLaren had to pay out an ungodly amount of money for that one, and lost constructor's points to boot.

Guess that goes to show how much Max hated Ron Dennis . . . or is it because Flav and Bernie are business partners?
      09-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

No money fine to go with this? such BS. This is much worse than stealing technical secrets yet McLaren had to bend over with 100mil. Here its just a slap on the wrist.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
FIA has handed the Renault team a suspended disqualification from the World Championship following World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing in Paris. The punishment will be placed on hold until the end of the 2011 season and will only be active should a similar happening take place before then.
Fernando Alonso, Nelson Piquet Jr, Bernie Ecclestone, Max Mosley and Bernard Rey, the president of the Renault Formula One team were in attendance at the World Motor Sport Council meeting.
i can't stand that ugly dwarf(bernie eccelstone).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
No money fine to go with this? such BS. This is much worse than stealing technical secrets yet McLaren had to bend over with 100mil. Here its just a slap on the wrist.
And McLaren got boot from Constructors Champion in 2007, Alonso and Hamilton was ok because WMSC found the drivers were not part of the offenders....which in 2007, Alonso and Hamilton scored MORE points than Kimi and Felipe together....which cost McLaren the 2007 WCC and valuable income for scoring points as a team....

honestly...unless we won't see Renault 2011...this is hardly a punishment for the crime committed....probably because the WMSC found the key players (alonso was not part of it as they said...but i doubt it) were all left Renault....
      09-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
And McLaren got boot from Constructors Champion in 2007, Alonso and Hamilton was ok because WMSC found the drivers were not part of the offenders....which in 2007, Alonso and Hamilton scored MORE points than Kimi and Felipe together....which cost McLaren the 2007 WCC and valuable income for scoring points as a team....

honestly...unless we won't see Renault 2011...this is hardly a punishment for the crime committed....probably because the WMSC found the key players (alonso was not part of it as they said...but i doubt it) were all left Renault....
I think you hit the nail on the head as I was thinking this earlier. They were given leniency because most of the guilty party members already resigned. It was probably some back-alley treaty between the FIA and Renault.
      09-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head as I was thinking this earlier. They were given leniency because most of the guilty party members already resigned. It was probably some back-alley treaty between the FIA and Renault.
yup...and that's what Flavio said....he left to save Renault....
otherwise....i'm pretty sure there will be a hefty fine for Renault and penalty that can match the ones given to McLaren in 2007....

that's not good news for the mechanics and pit-crews for Renault...the championshop points are generally how teams award bonus to them (as most are just mechanics picked from various Renault factories) for the year...

McLaren still count the points themselves to award bonus even FIA stripped them from WCC...and issued bonuses to the mechanics....i'm not sure if Renault will be the same if that should happen....keep in mind...those mechanics are not as wealthy as those major engineers, team principal and drivers...they are just workers for Renault who has a regular family to support....
      09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
yup...and that's what Flavio said....he left to save Renault....
otherwise....i'm pretty sure there will be a hefty fine for Renault and penalty that can match the ones given to McLaren in 2007....

that's not good news for the mechanics and pit-crews for Renault...the championshop points are generally how teams award bonus to them (as most are just mechanics picked from various Renault factories) for the year...

McLaren still count the points themselves to award bonus even FIA stripped them from WCC...and issued bonuses to the mechanics....i'm not sure if Renault will be the same if that should happen....keep in mind...those mechanics are not as wealthy as those major engineers, team principal and drivers...they are just workers for Renault who has a regular family to support....
There should be an extremely hefty fine in this case. I am thinking the FIA assumes that Renault carried a loss from crashing his car so it was enough of a "fine" already. I call major bullshit on that one.
      09-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
There should be an extremely hefty fine in this case. I am thinking the FIA assumes that Renault carried a loss from crashing his car so it was enough of a "fine" already. I call major bullshit on that one.
neh...i don't think was because of this....
like i said above...Falvio and Pat left to save the team...(even tho they are guilty)....like Ron Dennis left McLaren during the "liar-gate".....so the WMSC won't punish McLaren too severly because FIA hates Ron....
      09-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

But they did... 100M even after Ron left the team..
renault should get fined the same 100M .. It's only fair
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
But they did... 100M even after Ron left the team..
renault should get fined the same 100M .. It's only fair
uh...no...the 100Mil is for the "spy-gate"...Ron Dennis is still with McLaren....
the "liar-gate" is earlier this year....McLaren was given a suspended 3-race ban...given if they are going to offend again or not....
      09-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Full disclosure, quick ousting, and quick bowing to the thrown...that's what saved them....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You kidding me??? they get probation for rigging a race, causing damage, potential for killing people, and undermining the believability of the entire (already hurting) series?

Imagine if this had not gotten out by a disgruntled driver....

Absolute and utter crap, and is likely the last nail in the F1 coffin for me. Freaking garbage.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formel1 View Post
Full disclosure, quick ousting, and quick bowing to the thrown...that's what saved them....
sounds like kindagarden....

kids: "sorry i promise i won't throw stones at Jimmy again.."
teacher: "ok...just don't do it again....next time you will get grounded..."

geez...what has F1 comes to nowadays....
usually when you committ a crime in a society...u go to a court and get punished....
      09-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
sounds like kindagarden....

kids: "sorry i promise i won't throw stones at Jimmy again.."
teacher: "ok...just don't do it again....next time you will get grounded..."

geez...what has F1 comes to nowadays....
usually when you committ a crime in a society...u go to a court and get punished....
They are getting punished. They can't race for two years. Think about the loss of money that is. Everybody sees this as a slap on the wrist because the punishment is not financial. McLaren lost constructor points and paid $100 million. But they were allowed to race and keep racing.

Think of the financial problems of the development team who have probably been getting a 2010 car ready for next season. That is all going to have to be scrapped. You have engineers’, aerodynamicists’, chemists’, etc salaries to pay off for work that no longer matters. Then you have the entire Renault team who are going to be given royalties since they are all out of a job for next year and the year after. So you have management, race engineers, mechanics, logistics personnel, nutritionists, physicians, etc. Any guaranteed money from race and test drivers’ contracts will still have to be paid out. That’s going to add up fast. Not to mention their customer, Red Bull, is no longer going to be buying engines from them. I know that is no small some of money.

And do you think they are going to get back in F1 after two years and be a contender? I think not. So you have to add in more losses due to poor performance. Do you think the sponsors are going to stay? Most contracts of that nature have a clause that says something along the lines of fraudulent activity or actions that would bring the sponsor’s name into disrepute voids the contract. So more then likely, they’ll all be gone. So you have no investor’s pockets to pay all of this with to begin with.

Just because everything is not written down in the WMSC documents does not mean they are not suffering financially.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
They are getting punished. They can't race for two years. Think about the loss of money that is. Everybody sees this as a slap on the wrist because the punishment is not financial.
Read it again. They will only have the punishment enacted IF they get caught doing it again. That probation runs until the end of 2011. the sentence is suspended.

The got off with only paying for the investigation fees.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Read it again. They will only have the punishment enacted IF they get caught doing it again. That probation runs until the end of 2011. the sentence is suspended.

The got off with only paying for the investigation fees.
Wow I completely misunderstood the WMSC documents. From formula1.com:

"The World Motor Sport Council considers that offences of this severity merit permanent disqualification from the FIA Formula One World Championship. However, having regard to the points in mitigation mentioned above and in particular the steps taken by Renault F1 to identify and address the failings within its team and condemn the actions of the individuals involved, the WMSC has decided to suspend Renault F1’s disqualification until the end of the 2011 season. The World Motor Sport Council will only activate this disqualification if Renault F1 is found guilty of a comparable breach during that time."

I read that as the WMSC would normally consider an offence of this nature as permanent disqualification. But since Renault let go of Symonds and Briatore, they're only being disqualified for two years with a possibility of permanent disqualification if they are found to have rigged any races between Singapore and now.

I'm dumb.
Appreciate 0