E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Automobile Mag sets 3-series coupe for 2006 model



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
AlexP1760
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Automobile Mag sets 3-series coupe for 2006 model

http://automobilemag.com/2007_sneak_..._series_coupe/

It lists the new 3-series coupe as a 2006 model, meaning it's coming out THIS year in the Fall.

Can anyone verify this? It just recently got posted up on their site too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP1760
http://automobilemag.com/2007_sneak_..._series_coupe/

It lists the new 3-series coupe as a 2006 model, meaning it's coming out THIS year in the Fall.

Can anyone verify this? It just recently got posted up on their site too.
I believe they are referring to CALENDER year 2006.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
AlexP1760
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

No that's what I thought too, but car magazines usually the list the year as model year. And if you look at the Porsche Cayman, it's also listed as 2006 and I know for a fact that it's coming out this Fall.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
YYdoodle
Captain
44
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for sharing this Alex. Hopefully the magazine is right, but there's just so much guesswork still on the coupe. Most estimates I've seen put it being released next year.. dunno
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 03:19 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,096
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

BMW said the E92 would be shown at the Frankfurt autoshow in September and will be available in March 2006, just like the E90 was at Geneva then available March the next year

And to me the article says it will be available in the year 2006, which is correct
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
BMW said the E92 would be shown at the Frankfurt autoshow in September and will be available in March 2006, just like the E90 was at Geneva then available March the next year

And to me the article says it will be available in the year 2006, which is correct
The mags leave out the specification of model year or calendar year because they don't really know. Besides, per Alex Baumann (who is well known for his info on Bimmerfest), the E46 Coupe will be built up until May of '06.

E92 Coupe Release
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
Athos
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco, California

iTrader: (0)

It could be called a 2006 model year and released in spring 2006. It is no weirder than calling a car released in April 2005 a '2006.' I don't think it's the first time that a car in a given model year would appear late in the cycle.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
It could be called a 2006 model year and released in spring 2006. It is no weirder than calling a car released in April 2005 a '2006.' I don't think it's the first time that a car in a given model year would appear late in the cycle.
Doubtful. If any of the competitors releases their models at that time & makes them 2007s, then BMW will be shooting itself in the foot by making the Coupe an '06 @ that point. They will lose many buyers.

Also it would mean that their would be no '06 E46 Coupes around. They would have to extend the '05 model year all the way to the Spring of '06. That would be just plain ridiculous.....no one would buy them.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,096
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

What is it with Americans an calling cars 06 in 2005 or 07 in 2006 ?

We call a car a 2005 if it is built between 1 January 2005 and 31 December 2005 and a 2006 if it is built between 1 January 2006 and 31 December 2006
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
ogrady
Lieutenant
ogrady's Avatar
32
Rep
473
Posts

 
Drives: AW 09 335
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (0)

Same reason why we don't use the metric system like the rest of the world... cause we're odd like that Seriously I don't get it either.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,096
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
The mags leave out the specification of model year or calendar year because they don't really know. Besides, per Alex Baumann (who is well known for his info on Bimmerfest), the E46 Coupe will be built up until May of '06.

E92 Coupe Release
As said in that thread by someone else from SA, our dealers are saying coupe production will end soon and our M3 allocation is used up
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
hwkdrvr
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: POS 91 Kia Pride
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Daegu, South Korea

iTrader: (0)

The 2006 BWM 3 series being sold in America is the same as the 2005 BMW 3 series being sold everywhere else. Maybe the mag is referring to the 2006 model that will be sold everywhere else. In which case it would be the spring of '06 that we could expect to see the 2007 (American) coupe. Are you confused? I am.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #13
Armen52
Captain
Armen52's Avatar
14
Rep
658
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
So the rule in the U.S. if I remember correctly is that if your car is to be designated as MY2006, then your car MUST be available for sale on or before January 1, 2006.

If the car is released after that date, it will receive the model year designation of the year after. Such is the case with our 2006 E90 sedan and the E92 coupe will therefore have to receive a 2007 designation even though it seems it will be on sale for a large part of 2006.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
AlexP1760
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

But the magazine lists the Porsche Cayman as 2006, and it's coming out this Fall. So by designing the 3-series as 2006 also, doesnt that mean it's coming out this Fall too? What gives?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #15
vivid
Captain
vivid's Avatar
England
14
Rep
821
Posts

 
Drives: 135i, 323i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA.

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to vivid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
So the rule in the U.S. if I remember correctly is that if your car is to be designated as MY2006, then your car MUST be available for sale on or before January 1, 2006.

If the car is released after that date, it will receive the model year designation of the year after. Such is the case with our 2006 E90 sedan and the E92 coupe will therefore have to receive a 2007 designation even though it seems it will be on sale for a large part of 2006.
No that can't be it, I got my FX45 when it first came out in Feb of 2003
and its a MY2003
__________________

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
So the rule in the U.S. if I remember correctly is that if your car is to be designated as MY2006, then your car MUST be available for sale on or before January 1, 2006.

If the car is released after that date, it will receive the model year designation of the year after. Such is the case with our 2006 E90 sedan and the E92 coupe will therefore have to receive a 2007 designation even though it seems it will be on sale for a large part of 2006.

I think you made a mistake in your first statement. As long as the particular model is released BY JANUARY 1st 2005, then it is eligible to be designated a 2006 model, as was the E90 Sedan. The manufacturers have the option of designating the model year to be that particular that the car is produced in, or the next year. Same would go for the E92 if it were released by January 1st of 2006; it would qualify as a 2007 model. But it doesn't have to be designated 2007. It would be stupid for BMW not to designate it that way though, as I mentioned before.

In Europe and other countries, they do it BY THE BOOK; like it should be. The calender year=the model year.

Last edited by RichReg; 05-13-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
Armen52
Captain
Armen52's Avatar
14
Rep
658
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hey RichReg, I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. It seems you're saying that if a car is released BY January 1, 2005 that is, before the start of the 2005 calendar year, that its eligible to be called a model year 2006?

If the car is released before even the start of the 2005 calendar year why would it make sense to call the car a 2006 model? There is no reason and I am pretty sure there is no WAY for it be labeled a model year 2006. A car on sale before the start of 2005 cannot be a 2006 model.

Also, the E90 was not on sale before Jan. 1, 2005, thus it couldn't be a 2005 and is a 2006. I hope that clears it up.

Lastly, regarding the Automobile magazing link, if you notice in the URL the car is listed under model year 2007 cars but its on-sale date will likely be sometime in calendar year 2006.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #18
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Hey RichReg, I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. It seems you're saying that if a car is released BY January 1, 2005 that is, before the start of the 2005 calendar year, that its eligible to be called a model year 2006?

If the car is released before even the start of the 2005 calendar year why would it make sense to call the car a 2006 model? There is no reason and I am pretty sure there is no WAY for it be labeled a model year 2006. A car on sale before the start of 2005 cannot be a 2006 model.

Also, the E90 was not on sale before Jan. 1, 2005, thus it couldn't be a 2005 and is a 2006. I hope that clears it up.

Lastly, regarding the Automobile magazing link, if you notice in the URL the car is listed under model year 2007 cars but its on-sale date will likely be sometime in calendar year 2006.

No that's right.
We're saying the same thing in different ways. Manufacturers like to choose for themselves is all I'm saying, as was demonstrated in the Fx45 example. Its just that with the E92 Coupe, I can't see them designating it as an '06 model because its too soon and the car won't be out for at least a year. That is what I've been saying here all along. The E90 was really prematurely released when compared to the E46, which came out in the late summer of '98. So I think the E92 will bring the timeline back into sync.

Last edited by RichReg; 05-13-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 03:17 AM   #19
Haiko
Private
Haiko's Avatar
Armenia
1
Rep
55
Posts

 
Drives: 06 BMW 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Haiko
Hey everyone,

I can't wait for the new coupe to come out! I called my local bmw dealer today and they told me that the new coupe will start production this fall and will be available in the dealers by mid december. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #20
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko
Hey everyone,

I can't wait for the new coupe to come out! I called my local bmw dealer today and they told me that the new coupe will start production this fall and will be available in the dealers by mid december. What do you guys think?
I don't think its true, but hey....anything's possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #21
Armen52
Captain
Armen52's Avatar
14
Rep
658
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to burst your bubble but what will be starting production this fall is the 2006 E46 coupe. That is, the current body coupe will have a relatively short production run until the E92 is introduced about a year from now. Very similar to the E46 sedan for 2005 models.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #22
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
RichReg's Avatar
33
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Sorry to burst your bubble but what will be starting production this fall is the 2006 E46 coupe. That is, the current body coupe will have a relatively short production run until the E92 is introduced about a year from now. Very similar to the E46 sedan for 2005 models.
I wonder if they'll get the new engines?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST