E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY rim repair

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY rim repair
Published by TurboFan
11-05-2007
DIY rim repair

I've been looking for an old link to a good DIY rim repair, finally found it in my bookmarks. I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere here. This guy did a really good job, might be worthy of a sticky if someone wants to take the time to copy and paste the whole thing into a post here.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

It's a porsche wheel, but the same technique works for anything. You would just need to know the color paint you need.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Tutorial Tools
By LEA69 on 11-07-2007, 06:30 PM
mate, good post!
By Iceberg on 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Excellent!! Thanks.
By driverseven on 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I'd worry about getting a streaky paint job -- he used spray paint and it is tough to get an even coat for something that is not laying flat. Especially something with so many contours as the wheel.

I wish I felt comfortable doing it because I've got those curb scrapes.
By BK on 11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven View Post
I'd worry about getting a streaky paint job -- he used spray paint and it is tough to get an even coat for something that is not laying flat. Especially something with so many contours as the wheel.

I wish I felt comfortable doing it because I've got those curb scrapes.
You can do it! Several of us followed that exact procedure with our 162s. On my wheels, I had one bad curb rash and one minor curb rash. I'm not the greatest DIY-er in the world, and you cannot tell where the wheels were repaired -- at least not by eye. By feel, I can tell (the clear coat on the repaired ones is not as smooth).

Frankly, it takes a long time to do, since you are waiting for each layer of paint to dry, and it's kind of a PITA. In hindsight, if I could just get them fixed for like $100 ea., I'd rather just shell out the money. But it was sort of fun to fix them myself.
By cgnahc on 04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
anyone done this in LA area with some left over materials? PM me.
By TL on 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
This was done by a member here back in 2006

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=curb+wheels
Comment