E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low Coolant Level- Been Driving For A Month- Have A Question.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
childofbodom27
Private
12

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Question Low Coolant Level- Been Driving For A Month- Have A Question.

The light came on for the low coolant level about a month ago and has stayed on ever since. Im planning on going to the dealer in a few days but a question i have is: The tempature guage never gets passed the middle 250 temp mark. Do i still have to take it in? Ive been driving for a month with no problem. I dont want to waste my time at the dealer if its the sensors messing up.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
piezo
unstratified
1

 
piezo's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New England


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

  1. the gauge measures oil temperature, not coolant (though yes, it would be higher if you were overheating)
  2. why not just check the level yourself?
  3. how is either confirming or ruling out a faulty sensor a waste of time?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
neo_
Private First Class
10

 
neo_'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida


Posts: 146
iTrader: (5)

Usually when you have a fluid warning, you should go take care of that and not wait a month.

And are you seriously incapable of opening your hood and adding coolant into the coolant tank? You do know that there is a manual floater in the tank that you can reference to, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
childofbodom27
Private
12

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

checked it out at chevron and saw the stick was somewhat in, so bought some distilled water and poured it to the correct lvl and now the sensor is gone, yay.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT


Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofbodom27 View Post
checked it out at chevron and saw the stick was somewhat in, so bought some distilled water and poured it to the correct lvl and now the sensor is gone, yay.
Next time put in a 50/50 mix. Just adding distilled over time will dilute the anti-freeze and make is lease efficient. Just a heads up.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
neo_
Private First Class
10

 
neo_'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida


Posts: 146
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
will dilute the anti-freeze and make is lease efficient. Just a heads up.
Make what less efficient? The "anti-freeze" from turning into ice? You are correct on that factor. Look at his location, SoCal, I doubt it freezes over there. Water dissipates heat better then anti-freeze.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Richwm
Captain
United_States
21

 
Richwm's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canyon Country, CA.


Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ View Post
Make what less efficient? The "anti-freeze" from turning into ice? You are correct on that factor. Look at his location, SoCal, I doubt it freezes over there. Water dissipates heat better then anti-freeze.
+1 im glad you said it so I didnt have too.
__________________
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
piezo
unstratified
1

 
piezo's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New England


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ View Post
Make what less efficient? The "anti-freeze" from turning into ice? You are correct on that factor. Look at his location, SoCal, I doubt it freezes over there. Water dissipates heat better then anti-freeze.
You tropical folks do realize that COOLANT raises the boiling point and contains rust inhibitors, right?

Now someone will chime in with "rust inhibitors? with an aluminum block and plastic radiator tanks?"
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
raceyBMW
king of the hills
United_States
45

 
raceyBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO


Posts: 2,821
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Boiling point in a pressurized system isn't really an issue...the car will go into limp mode due to coolant temps long before the water/coolant will boil. However the corrosion protection provided by coolant is something to definitely consider...that's why its recommended that even if you live in areas that don't freeze to at least use an 80/20 H2O/coolant mix, or use deionized water and put in water wetter, which also has corrosion inhibiting properties.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
80

 
ehhhwik's Avatar
 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC


Posts: 3,432
iTrader: (5)

putting in distilled water for now is fine, i did that before when i had the light on and just waited till the service to have it flushed
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT


Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo
You tropical folks do realize that COOLANT raises the boiling point and contains rust inhibitors, right?

Now someone will chime in with "rust inhibitors? with an aluminum block and plastic radiator tanks?"
It also helps the radiator remove more heat from the coolant to help keep the car cooler. Water wetter is like coolant on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik
putting in distilled water for now is fine, i did that before when i had the light on and just waited till the service to have it flushed
Ok, then that is fine. You just don't want to keep doing that. That is all I was trying to say.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
742
Major
11

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA


Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

There are certain things that we do in life. Feed the cat. Give the dog water. Pay our bills. And when it comes to cars; coolant, oil and air in the tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
ENINTY
Banned
60

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia


Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
There are certain things that we do in life. Feed the cat. Give the dog water. Pay our bills. And when it comes to cars; coolant, oil and air in the tires.
But don't give your Dog coolant!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
neo_
Private First Class
10

 
neo_'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida


Posts: 146
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo View Post
You tropical folks do realize that COOLANT raises the boiling point and contains rust inhibitors, right?

Now someone will chime in with "rust inhibitors? with an aluminum block and plastic radiator tanks?"
Where did you read anyone recommending to run straight water?

And last time I checked, our cylinder sleeves are not aluminum.

Are you aware what anti-freeze even mostly consists of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Boiling point in a pressurized system isn't really an issue...the car will go into limp mode due to coolant temps long before the water/coolant will boil. However the corrosion protection provided by coolant is something to definitely consider...that's why its recommended that even if you live in areas that don't freeze to at least use an 80/20 H2O/coolant mix, or use deionized water and put in water wetter, which also has corrosion inhibiting properties.
Finally someone that sounds like they aren't pulling facts out of their ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
It also helps the radiator remove more heat from the coolant to help keep the car cooler. Water wetter is like coolant on steroids.
You really need to stop stop posting your invalid theories.

The only thing that helps the radiator remove heat is the air that goes through it (naturally and with the aid of the radiator fan).

Water wetter is normally used as an additive for individuals running a mostly straight water mix. It helps to prevent rust.

Although it is not uncommon for it to be added to a normal coolant mix.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
742
Major
11

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA


Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
But don't give your Dog coolant!
I don't know, he just helped himself to a bunch of cookies that were the dining room table.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
neo_
Private First Class
10

 
neo_'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida


Posts: 146
iTrader: (5)

Anti-Freeze actually tastes very sweet and very poisonous if ingested.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST