E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > E90 323i vs. 330i vs. 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
stevensonleehk
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 323i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

E90 323i vs. 330i vs. 335i

Dear All,

Just wondering whether or not there is a really big difference in terms of performance between these 3 cars.

I drive a 2007 E90 323i and enjoys the power and torque on sports mode, but on normal drive it does feel malaise and lagging ... is it worthwhile considering an upgrade to a 330i or 335i?

Is it really worth the additional cost?

Comments pls.

stevensonleehk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,563
iTrader: (1)

Well let's see

323i= 175hp
328i= 230hp
330i= 255hp
335i= 300hp

See the difference. Even the 328i will feel like a completly different car to you, let alone a 335i.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
N52B30
Private
 
N52B30's Avatar
 
Drives: E92, E70, W204
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Contact BMW Concessionaires for a test drive, I'm sure they'll entertain you!

I drive a E92 323 (190hp). In my opinion, the 325 coupe (218hp) is not worth the HK$100K premium as the 325 is only marginally more responsive than the 323. The 330 (272hp) is a much faster car but if you option it up with sport seats, sport suspension, 18 inch alloys etc... to match the 335, the price difference is minimal! I am not too sure about the sedan pricing structure but I dont think that it would be too far off. That's why most of the E92's and 93's in HK are either 323's or 335's. And yes, the 335 is in a totally different league!! My BMW dealer told me a month or two ago that the E90 335's now come with iDrive/navigation, this is a HK$30K (plus 85% tax) option as part of a special offer.

Hope this helps.
__________________
BMW E92 323i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
BMW E70 X5 xDrive30i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
MB W204 C230 Touring, MY2009, Calcite White, 17"s

Last edited by N52B30; 09-25-2009 at 04:08 PM.
N52B30 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
stevensonleehk
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 323i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

I have a 191 bhp version of the 323i as well since its a 2008 model so I presume that its not much different from the 325.

Getting a brand new 335i might be a bit out of my league in terms of costs and finances, but was wondering whether its worthwhile to snap up a 2nd hand 330 or 335 ...

Any thoughts?



Quote:
Originally Posted by N52B30 View Post
Contact BMW Concessionaires for a test drive, I'm sure they'll entertain you!

I drive a E92 323 (190hp). In my opinion, the 325 coupe (218hp) is not worth the HK$100K premium as the 325 is only marginally more responsive than the 323. The 330 (272hp) is a much faster car but if you option it up with sport seats, sport suspension, 18 inch alloys etc... to match the 335, the price difference is minimal! I am not too sure about the sedan pricing structure but I dont think that it would be too far off. That's why most of the E92's and 93's in HK are either 323's or 335's. And yes, the 335 is in a totally different league!! My BMW dealer told me a month or two ago that the E90 335's now come with iDrive/navigation, this is a HK$30K (plus 85% tax) option as part of a special offer.

Hope this helps.
stevensonleehk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Minichamps
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91 330i Delivered June 27 '07
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

[quote=stevensonleehk;5928033]I have a 191 bhp version of the 323i as well since its a 2008 model so I presume that its not much different from the 325.

Getting a brand new 335i might be a bit out of my league in terms of costs and finances, but was wondering whether its worthwhile to snap up a 2nd hand 330 or 335 ...

did you buy your 323i brand new? if so, why would you trade in a brand new car to a used one.
__________________
Minichamps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
jpsum
Major
 
jpsum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk View Post
Dear All,

Just wondering whether or not there is a really big difference in terms of performance between these 3 cars.

I drive a 2007 E90 323i and enjoys the power and torque on sports mode, but on normal drive it does feel malaise and lagging ... is it worthwhile considering an upgrade to a 330i or 335i?

Is it really worth the additional cost?

Comments pls.

Is it worth it? yes, but in your case, no. It's not worth trading in your car this early for a similiar car assuming you bought the 323 new.

You don't need a fast car anyways, you're in HK! There are way too many speeding cameras and way too much traffic!
jpsum is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
 
335 Freak's Avatar
 
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 398
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Skype™ to 335 Freak
Once you drive a 335, you will be noticing how underpower is the 323 is!!! Yup, you cannot drive fast in HK but the torque of 335 is just the best of the same tier........ I'm going back to the bimmer land just because of the N54 engine when I was driving my V6 Bi-Turbo audi before..
__________________
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
335 Freak is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
N52B30
Private
 
N52B30's Avatar
 
Drives: E92, E70, W204
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

The early 335's (2006/early 07) had a common fuel pump problem:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192467

I also agree with Minichamps, if you got your 323 brand new (or if it is reliable and trouble-free) then why trade it in for a used one?

I upgraded from a E90 320i to the 323 - initially it was a huge improvement over the 4-cylinder. Now seven months later, I feel like I can do with another 20-30 more horsepower!! Yes the 335 is very fast, but maybe after a year or so after you have upgraded, you might be asking a similar question "335, M3 or 911"... You can never have enough power!!

In addition, my C230 Touring (2.5 V6, 204hp) feels a bit more responsive and has a bit more torque than the 323, even though the 323 accelerates quicker to 100km/h on paper. Might be the 7-speed transmission...

If you can hang onto it for another 2.5 years or so, the next generation 3 series should be around in 2012!!
__________________
BMW E92 323i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
BMW E70 X5 xDrive30i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
MB W204 C230 Touring, MY2009, Calcite White, 17"s
N52B30 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
stevensonleehk
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 323i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all your input.

Well, I did buy my 323i brand-new - but that was in December 2007. Its really been trouble-free and I am about to bring it back to BMW next week for its 2nd routine service.

I guess the price of a 2007 335i is now within my price range - wondering whether its worthwhile trading up for one ...

Having said that, the 2009 LCIs also look very stylish as well ... I was at the supermarket today and a 2009 335i was parked right next to mine - looks a lot more aggressive and sporty.

Btw, do you know whether the new E90 LCIs are made in SA? or are they made in Germany?
stevensonleehk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
jpsum
Major
 
jpsum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk View Post
Thanks for all your input.

Well, I did buy my 323i brand-new - but that was in December 2007. Its really been trouble-free and I am about to bring it back to BMW next week for its 2nd routine service.

I guess the price of a 2007 335i is now within my price range - wondering whether its worthwhile trading up for one ...

Having said that, the 2009 LCIs also look very stylish as well ... I was at the supermarket today and a 2009 335i was parked right next to mine - looks a lot more aggressive and sporty.

Btw, do you know whether the new E90 LCIs are made in SA? or are they made in Germany?
I could be wrong, but I don't think the E90s are made in the USA.
jpsum is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
N52B30
Private
 
N52B30's Avatar
 
Drives: E92, E70, W204
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

The facelifted E90's in HK are sourced from SA.
__________________
BMW E92 323i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
BMW E70 X5 xDrive30i, MY2009, Space Grey, 18"s;
MB W204 C230 Touring, MY2009, Calcite White, 17"s
N52B30 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
stevensonleehk
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 323i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the E90s are made in the USA.
No, they're not made in the states. SA meaning South Africa.
stevensonleehk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #13
ArktisE92
Private First Class
 
ArktisE92's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 852

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk View Post
Dear All,

Just wondering whether or not there is a really big difference in terms of performance between these 3 cars.

... is it worthwhile considering an upgrade to a 330i or 335i?
The N54 engine in the 335 is seriously addictive--test drive one and you'll see what people mean. If you can pick up a good deal in this market I'd heartily recommend going for it.
__________________
SOLD '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
ArktisE92 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
 
335 Freak's Avatar
 
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 398
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Skype™ to 335 Freak
I'm the victim of such additive engine.....give it a try, Steven!! I'm sure the ride will give you a new definition of an ultimate driving machine!!! Nonetheless, don't be considering the interior......I have convinced myself the $$ I put on this car is for the N54 engine when the interior quality is some sort of a disappointment to many 335 owners!
__________________
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
335 Freak is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
kcleung
Private First Class
 
kcleung's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 323
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

if power and torque is not ur priority, check out the thread below on suspension mod, it might interest you more than a 335. the thread is mainly on e92 but the e90 parts were mentioned also.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=177028&page=3
__________________
BMW Performance Brakes
kcleung is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #16
Tigermow
Enlisted Member
 
Tigermow's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i mSport/ POR 993
Join Date: May 2008
Location: HK

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

I agree, the 335i is a completely different machine. Test drive it and you will see the difference. Sure it is very pricey but the car is worth every penny in my book.

However, from my point of view, the question is whether you can drive the car to the "full" ie can you use all that performance that it can offer. Don't get me wrong on this, the M3s and 911s of this world are great to drive but in terms of entertainment value, you would really enjoy getting the most out of your car.

Although I may sound bias, there is a difference between 323 and 325, the question is whether you think its worth that extra 100k. I test drove both of the cars and after much struggle, plunge for the 325. It is a very personal choice, that's why I would recommend you to test drive before putting down the hammer. Your car is also relatively new, so I would recommend to keep it but see if there are any after-market mods that can freshen up the car a bit for your enterainment.
Tigermow is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #17
Kubricks
New Member
 
Drives: 130i M/T
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

-

Last edited by Kubricks; 10-19-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Kubricks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #18
guts80
New Member
 
guts80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

335i vs supercharging/turbocharging 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52B30 View Post
The early 335's (2006/early 07) had a common fuel pump problem:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192467

I also agree with Minichamps, if you got your 323 brand new (or if it is reliable and trouble-free) then why trade it in for a used one?

I upgraded from a E90 320i to the 323 - initially it was a huge improvement over the 4-cylinder. Now seven months later, I feel like I can do with another 20-30 more horsepower!! Yes the 335 is very fast, but maybe after a year or so after you have upgraded, you might be asking a similar question "335, M3 or 911"... You can never have enough power!!

In addition, my C230 Touring (2.5 V6, 204hp) feels a bit more responsive and has a bit more torque than the 323, even though the 323 accelerates quicker to 100km/h on paper. Might be the 7-speed transmission...

If you can hang onto it for another 2.5 years or so, the next generation 3 series should be around in 2012!!
After driving the E90 323i for several years now I find that it doesn't have enough acceleration and torque...I drove the an MKV GTI for several year states side before returning to Hong Kong for good. For anyone in HK, how does the financing work for trade in for a 335?? The 323i is fully financed and paid for.

Sorry for reviving an old thread!
guts80 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Well let's see

323i= 175hp
328i= 230hp
330i= 255hp
335i= 300hp

See the difference. Even the 328i will feel like a completly different car to you, let alone a 335i.
We don't get the 328i in HK, at least not for the E9X generation, we'll see about the F30.

For the OP, whether you want the performance difference between a 335i and 323i depends on the type of driving you do. If you do mostly commuting and getting stuck in the cross-harbour traffic, then it's not worth paying the extra. The difference in power does not really make up for the extra gas consumption, and in any case, it will be hard to use that extra performance in regular commuting on HK roads.

But if you prefer to do driving just for the heck of it (and I imagine you do) on roads away from the city and on weekend trips then by all means go for a 330i or 335i. At least you can use more of that extra performance. Of course you also run a higher risk of getting caught by the police, but that is up to you.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST