E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC iDrive Hard Drive Upgrade

09-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
E90Eric
Private

Drives: 2009 335i LCI

CIC iDrive Hard Drive Upgrade

I've got a nice high quality Samsung 128GB SSD that originally came in my Macbook Pro that I'm considering putting in my car. Has anyone tried this project? I'm not concerned about the warranty aspect, just hardware compatibility. I don't see why I couldn't just take the old drive out, clone it to my new one, adjust the music portion to take up the new extra space, and reinstall. I did a quick search but didn't see any answers. Advice would be appreciated. I'd much rather have an SSD in there as opposed to an HD anyways.
      09-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I asked this same question a while back:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185022
      09-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
E90Eric
Private

Drives: 2009 335i LCI

I got the HardDrive taken out today. Much to my dismay the drive is an 80GB PATA Toshiba HD. It's a MK8050GAC, if you google it you'll find a press release from Toshiba about their new Automotive drives. My Macbook Pro wouldn't give the drive enough power to spin up in my PATA sled so I've got it hooked to my Windows desktop machine. The computer doesn't recognize the file system so it's def. not NTFS or FAT. Norton's Ghost just recognizes 7 partitions of an "unknown" file type with various sizes. At this point doesn't seem like it would be an easy or worthwhile upgrade. Kudos to someone who figures out the file system and how to manipulate it.
Attached Images