E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Service Advice

10-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
MB London
Come as you are

Drives: F10 520d M-sport

Service Advice

My service light has come on for the first time. The car has 8.8K miles on the clock and the computer is telling me its only oil that needs changing. I will book it in next week, my question is this Can I buy my own oil? And if so how much (to be safe) should I get and what oil should I buy.

Any advice will be appreciated.
MB London is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
///ajd
Colonel

Drives: BMW 330d Touring

Yes you should be able to - but check with dealer. Dick Lovett have always let me do it.

Ask them what oil you need - they should tell you any 0W30 BMW LL01 (BMW LL01 = BMW spec for Long Life (hence LL) oil - this spec is from 2001 (hence 01)) oil will be OK - they may insist on 0W30 LL04 (a 2004 spec), but I think this is only needed for diesels with DPF, as LL04 has SAPS technology. They may recommend Castrol EDGE which is their relevant LL01/04 product - but any oil of right viscosity that meets the spec should be fine (e.g. also Fuchs Titan etc.)

Opieoils is good for online oil - or try Homebase who have been known to have cheap offers recently.

You'll need around 8 litres. Petrols maybe OK with 5W30 - so check with dealer to be sure.
///ajd is offline   France
      10-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
MB London
Come as you are

Drives: F10 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Yes you should be able to - but check with dealer. Dick Lovett have always let me do it.

Ask them what oil you need - they should tell you any 0W30 BMW LL01 (BMW LL01 = BMW spec for Long Life (hence LL) oil - this spec is from 2001 (hence 01)) oil will be OK - they may insist on 0W30 LL04 (a 2004 spec), but I think this is only needed for diesels with DPF, as LL04 has SAPS technology. They may recommend Castrol EDGE which is their relevant LL01/04 product - but any oil of right viscosity that meets the spec should be fine (e.g. also Fuchs Titan etc.)

Opieoils is good for online oil - or try Homebase who have been known to have cheap offers recently.

You'll need around 8 litres. Petrols maybe OK with 5W30 - so check with dealer to be sure.
Excellent advice, just what I was after

Cheers
MB London is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Skid
First Lieutenant

Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
I have just bought 8 litres plus 2 free litres of 0W30 Castrol Edge TD from Opie oils for 83 delivered.
This came within 2 days of placing the order.
Skid is offline   United Kingdom