E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Karma is a bitch

10-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Karma is a bitch

Today I found out that one of my hardcore republican friends that I've known since I was in elementary school lost his job today. Now I don't wish anything like this upon anyone, however it was clear to us that this friend needed to get a reality check at some point in his life and it happen to come a lot sooner than later.

Last year one of my other friends lost his job and began accepting unemployement checks to keep his head above water until he could find another job (He considers himself and independent, but has always voted republican). This guy who just lost his job today wouldn't let him hear the end of it. He woud say that our friend was mooching off the system and was what was "wrong" with America. He said if he ever where to lose his job, he would never apply for unemployment. He said if he where president, he would get rid of it because it's just a system for lazy people to stay lazy.

This was the same guy who repeatedly tried to tell us that that economy was not in a recession and that the democratic dirtbags were exaggerating everything.

Now this same guy is scared shitless because he thought is job was secure. Not to mention that he has some health issues and now probably won't be able to afford or even get healthcare because what he has is considered a pre-exisiting condition. I won't even get into the stuff he said about healthcare, especially when he was probably thinking that he wouldn't lose it.

All I got to say is that Karma is a bitch. To all the hardcore right wingers on this site who have my friends type of mindset, I hope something like this doesn't happen to you because no matter how much I might disagree with you're politics, it's one hell of a lesson to learn from that I don't wish upon anyone.
      10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Nixon
Banned

Drives: :

That's a sad story, and I definitely feel sorry for the guy.

Hopefully he won't let his family suffer the ugly consequences of him stubbornly getting stuck on his ideals -- to the detriment of the welfare of his wife and/or children.

Do your best to convince him he needs to apply just as aggressively for unemployment as I'm sure he is aggressively applying for new jobs.

Hopefully he has the type of job that provides some of the luxuries (like severance pay, free job placement services, and Cobra insurance) that others who lose their jobs aren't so lucky to have.
      10-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Buegie
Captain

Drives: 330xi

Hopefully he'll see that there's a difference between "using" and "abusing" the system. I would guess that most conservatives (myself included) don't see anything wrong with using the system in the way it was designed. It allows people to keep their lifestyle relatively unchanged for a while after they lose their job and it also keeps money recirculating in the economy which, of course, is important during the recession.

The problem is when people start to live off the system instead of trying to find work. It's a waste of tax-payer dollars and keeps the money from getting to people who legitimately need it (like your friend).
      10-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Septro
Banned

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

What's the karma that is coming back to them? I don't know of many conservative platforms that want to abolish unemployment insurance. But it is obvious that such insurance be temporary in nature and used only for the purposes as a backstop till they gain reemployment.

Unless the Democratic position is to make unemployment permanent - i would assume most folks would agree it stay temporary and used only for involuntary separation. We have a friend who has been laid off since March - she's been gettin unemployment since then - she just applied for the extension the Administration work through for folks due to the economy, funny thing is, she's on vacation out in Ireland for 2 weeks.

Now obviously you must report your hours when your unemployed and she isn't collecting for those two weeks - but seriously, a vacation to Europe would be the last thing I would consider if I needed some insurance to keep my household and family taken care of.

That's one bad example unlike most folks who are probably trying their asses off to get a job any way possible but it is symptomatic of the condition to not be scared enough to save for these kind of situations because the gov't safety net grows larger and larger.
      10-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Two points in the posts above that ring true. There is a HUGE difference in using and abusing the system. Most hard core conservatives, however opposed to hand outs, are very charitable with regards to those in need.

The other point is not having enough discipline to save a portion of your income for situations just like the one you're buddy is in. People will only save less because of the government safety nets will only grow larger as mentioned above.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      10-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Two points in the posts above that ring true. There is a HUGE difference in using and abusing the system. Most hard core conservatives, however opposed to hand outs, are very charitable with regards to those in need.

The other point is not having enough discipline to save a portion of your income for situations just like the one you're buddy is in. People will only save less because of the government safety nets will only grow larger as mentioned above.
I hope that, much like human behavior was shaped for those who experienced the Great Depression, human behavior will similarly change for those now who are either reading about, or more sadly, personally experiencing financial hardship.

Most Americans, myself included, became far too used to easy money and easy credit, and seeing where things are now, I know I have definitely changed my spending behavior (credit cards in the safe, debit card only in my wallet).

To TMNT's friend, I wish for him a speedy recovery from his situation.
nostrum09 is offline   United_States
      10-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Sorry about both of your friends.

And you should smack your friend that dogged out the other one. It's one thing to take unemployment, it's another to abuse it.

I had a friend in college that abused it and his dad more or less told him to "work the system". That pissed me off. But I kept my mouth shut.

Good luck to both of them.
      10-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

One word for him COBRA!
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      10-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
I dont understand the op's post at all. Because your friend was a republican, he needs a reality check by losing his job? What does being republican have to do with his job? Or are you so cliche that you stick to the stereotypes of what republicans are, rich white guys?

What a joke. So being a republican is so evil, that KARMA has to make him lose his job, just for being a republican!?!?!
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
      10-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
jaiman
Captain

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I dont understand the op's post at all. Because your friend was a republican, he needs a reality check by losing his job? What does being republican have to do with his job? Or are you so cliche that you stick to the stereotypes of what republicans are, rich white guys?

What a joke. So being a republican is so evil, that KARMA has to make him lose his job, just for being a republican!?!?!
The karma part had to do with the friend acting like an asshole, him being a republican was coincidental.
      10-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
The karma part had to do with the friend acting like an asshole, him being a republican was coincidental.
I'm sure the part about the friend being a republican had nothing to do with the OP sharing the story with us!

10-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

I'm an independent- socially liberal, fiscally conservative (since both parties are spendthrifts, I always vote democratic based on social issues, but am reconsidering). I didn't work for a year, but knew it was my responsibility to be prepared for that kind of situation, and didn't take any kind of unemployment and paid for my own health insurance. I tried rationalizing to myself that I paid into unemployment so I could "just get my own money back", but knew that's not how it works. The money I paid in was sponged up by...sponges. If I collected, some other hard working taxpayer would be footing my bill, and I knew that was wrong. Full disclosure: my dad is currently one of these sponges and is treating it as a paid vacation. He doesn't need the money at all- his wife is a nurse, and his house and cars are paid for. He's using the same rationalization I used above.

Everyone should know it could happen to them, and if they aren't prepared to either live off savings or become homeless, then they were depending on someone to bail them out all along and are hypocrites. Your friend should stand by his principles and do the same. Do whatever it takes to make ends meet. If not, he is a hypocrite & you should never let him live that down.
      10-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
This.

He dogged others for being in an unfortunate situation and used his party platform as a means to express why he was doing so well and others weren't (at the time at least).

The reason I brought it up is because he reminds me of a few folks on this board.
      10-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Mighty M
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

Hard core conservatives oppose hand outs until they need them. Then they bring out Jesus.

Usually fat, ugly, uneducated, and christian.

10-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

so what - voting one party or the other doesnt insure anyone a job. now he can go on welfare and convert to handout-ism.
      10-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Garage List
1976 BMW 2002  [5.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post

How dare you talk about Michael Moore like that.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      10-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
nostrum09 is offline   United_States
      10-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
jaiman
Captain

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
I'm sure the part about the friend being a republican had nothing to do with the OP sharing the story with us!

I see. So you don't think the friend was being an asshole?

The OPs motivation for sharing the story is his. The reason his friend is an asshole should be pretty obvious to anyone, regardless of party affiliation.
      10-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
Buegie
Captain

Drives: 330xi

Quote:
well played
      10-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man

Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Hard core conservatives oppose hand outs until they need them. Then they bring out Jesus.

I think it's more realistic to say that hard core conservatives oppose people abusing those handouts, as in, 'I am on some sort of public assistance, but still manage to drive an Escalade,' not the fact that those handouts exist.

Unemployment insurance is paid for by YOU. Why not take it to make ends meet? Hell, even Clinton realized the system was being abused.
Ajax-Prime is offline   United_States
      10-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #21
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

Quote:
LOL!!! MIcheal Moore's flatulance will overheat this earth in a matter of months. just watch.
      11-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #22
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet

Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

Send a message via Yahoo to bspaceman
It is interesting to watch the two party system, religion and economics divide the American public and keep us preoccupied to what is happening around us.

Your friend who lost his job is just feeling the initial effects of the destabilization of the American economy. Just wait until the dollar isn't worth anything and the Americas unite under the Amero. You think you are underpaid now. We will we see the same exploitation of our workforce as Asia within 15-20 years.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
bspaceman is offline   United_States