E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Sailing Time from Germany to Southern California



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
wilpark
New Member
1
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: studio city

iTrader: (0)

Sailing Time from Germany to Southern California

Hi all,

My car (2010 335i coupe) is currently awaiting transport from the port of exit (somewhere in Germany).

Does anyone know how long it will take for a transport ship to sail from the port of exit to the port nearest Southern California? I live in Los Angeles. Also, what ports do the ships go to when dropping cars off in southern California?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
53
Rep
2,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Port of Hueneme.
And transport can take anywhere from 6-10 weeks depending on the ship and where it is going to stop before it crosses the Atlantic and also how long it takes to get through the Panama cannal...
Check out the Euro delivery section in bimmerfest.com, there is plenty of info of ships and car tracking on there
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
Hi all,

My car (2010 335i coupe) is currently awaiting transport from the port of exit (somewhere in Germany).

Does anyone know how long it will take for a transport ship to sail from the port of exit to the port nearest Southern California? I live in Los Angeles. Also, what ports do the ships go to when dropping cars off in southern California?

Thanks.
I believe the cargo from Germany is unloaded in Newark, NJ or NYC. Then it's transported by freight (trucks\trains) across the US.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
wilpark
New Member
1
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: studio city

iTrader: (0)

ouch!

when i purchased the car, my CA told me 6-8 weeks total from the date i ordered... it took a full month for the car to even be built, so its looking more like 10-12 weeks total.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I believe the cargo from Germany is unloaded in Newark, NJ or NYC. Then it's transported by freight (trucks\trains) across the US.


not correct---cars will be unloaded at Hueneme, in CA...its going to be a while man, its long enough to get here to the east coast--i dont even want to imagine having to wait until it goes through the panama canal--then back up to CA...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
ouch!

when i purchased the car, my CA told me 6-8 weeks total from the date i ordered... it took a full month for the car to even be built, so its looking more like 10-12 weeks total.

so I see your car finally got built..! congrats...but what took so long??..if you remember, in my other thread-- I only placed my deposit 10/2, and I was a status 111...and my car got built, transported, and put on a ship one day after it left the factory... last Wednesday and is on its way here already---what took so long for you?!..did you purchase from a small dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
53
Rep
2,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
ouch!

when i purchased the car, my CA told me 6-8 weeks total from the date i ordered... it took a full month for the car to even be built, so its looking more like 10-12 weeks total.
It's 12 weeks mimimum...
The comment about East Coast is not correct, West coast ships do not stop in the East Coast, they go through the Panama Canal

keep in mind that you can be in "awaiting for transport" anywhere from 1 day to 2-3 weeks based on the next ship timetable, and once the car hits the port, if there is any damage to it from shipping, you're looking at another 2-3 weeks at the prep center...

So really anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks... Your dealer who told you 6-8 is full of shit
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post

So really anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks... Your dealer who told you 6-8 is full of shit
yeah id be
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
wilpark
New Member
1
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: studio city

iTrader: (0)

vikz - i have no idea what took so long for the car to get built. but i took your advice a week or two ago about contacting my dealer and asking them to speed things up. the car went into production the next day...

the dealer is actually a fairly large one - center bmw in sherman oaks.

man, waiting another 6-10 weeks from now would suck. i'm tempted to just take my deposit back and buy a 2010 335i coupe off a dealer's lot. i'm assuming they'll have some in stock now. but the car i ordered was built exactly how i wanted it...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
vikz - i have no idea what took so long for the car to get built. but i took your advice a week or two ago about contacting my dealer and asking them to speed things up. the car went into production the next day...

the dealer is actually a fairly large one - center bmw in sherman oaks.

man, waiting another 6-10 weeks from now would suck. i'm tempted to just take my deposit back and buy a 2010 335i coupe off a dealer's lot. i'm assuming they'll have some in stock now. but the car i ordered was built exactly how i wanted it...


I may not be correct, but I HIGHLY doubt that its going to be 6-10 more weeks..looking at the WW website at schedules..it seems like the trips are around 23-26 days...again I may be wrong, but depending on when your car gets on a ship--I want to say 4..MAYBE 5 weeks...which is still long, I feel ya..

again, call up your CA--get him on it..he can let you know everything, what ship, what voyage #, ETA..all that info.

the reason I asked about if the dealer was small--bc dealers get allocations from BMW depending on how many units the dealer gets out..so the bigger the dealer, the better your chance of getting an allocation sooner..if that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
53
Rep
2,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
vikz - i have no idea what took so long for the car to get built. but i took your advice a week or two ago about contacting my dealer and asking them to speed things up. the car went into production the next day...

the dealer is actually a fairly large one - center bmw in sherman oaks.

man, waiting another 6-10 weeks from now would suck. i'm tempted to just take my deposit back and buy a 2010 335i coupe off a dealer's lot. i'm assuming they'll have some in stock now. but the car i ordered was built exactly how i wanted it...
Don't, just be patient... Getting the exact car you built to your specs is worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
39
Rep
1,631
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance

iTrader: (6)

My car took exactly 7 weeks from when I dropped it off in Munich after my ED. I'm in socal also.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
wilpark
New Member
1
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: studio city

iTrader: (0)

BREMERHAVEN 21/10/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 13/11/2009 TARIFA ED

BREMERHAVEN 03/11/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 27/11/2009 TOMAR ED

BREMERHAVEN 17/11/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 11/12/2009 QUEEN SAPPHIRE


thanks for the info all. it looks like there are a couple of ships leaving over the next few weeks (including one tomorrow). it looks like the trip takes around 22-25 days from bremerhaven to port hueneme.

i have no idea whether these are even ships that carry cars, but fingers crossed i get on the Tarifa. unfortunately, i've only been at the port of exit since yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
BREMERHAVEN 21/10/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 13/11/2009 TARIFA ED

BREMERHAVEN 03/11/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 27/11/2009 TOMAR ED

BREMERHAVEN 17/11/2009 PORT HUENEME, CA 11/12/2009 QUEEN SAPPHIRE


thanks for the info all. it looks like there are a couple of ships leaving over the next few weeks (including one tomorrow). it looks like the trip takes around 22-25 days from bremerhaven to port hueneme.

i have no idea whether these are even ships that carry cars, but fingers crossed i get on the Tarifa. unfortunately, i've only been at the port of exit since yesterday.

I always thought about that "theres no way im making a ship because I just got to port"..well not this time around... like i said, my car finished production on 10/13..it left the factory that day..arrived at port on 10/14...and on 10/15 I was on the ship named FAUST... yes, I was at port ONE DAY! so you never know!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
duboss
Navy Guy
United_States
0
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 328i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I was to have my car delivered here in Germany where I am stationed, but last week I got orders to San Diego, and my dealer told me shipment from Germany to Port Hueneme would take roughly 8 weeks.

So I thought I would be getting my car about November 16th or so, now its looking more like mid to late January for delivery. Not to mention I have to drive from Port Hueneme through LA traffic to San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel
Sp82's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

OP-- the Tarifa just left Bremerhaven today..its scheduled to doc in Port Hueneme on 11/13..just FYI
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
jeremicium
Captain
jeremicium's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
953
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olympia, Wa. USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My car got on a ship around June 11th and arrived at Port Hueneme around july 3rd. The tracking was more active on bimmerfest forum. The ship will leave Germany, stop by UK, then work its way towards the Panama canal. Unfortunatly the ship will be untrackable once it leaves the UK. There should, however, be an arrival time for Panama. A forum member on bimmerfest actually took screenshots from the panama canal webcam of our ship going through the panama canal...it was pretty neat. Anyways, took roughly three weeks for my cars journey across the pond. Good luck weathering the wait.
__________________
09 E92/Montego Blue/Black leather/Dark burl trim/6MT/Premium/Sport/19" Matte Black Avant garde M310 Wheels/Nav/Comfort access/COBB stage 1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST