E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What does the Sirius Antenna Look Like?

12-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
335I_JB
President |||

Drives: E90 335I

What does the Sirius Antenna Look Like?

Hi,

New member here. I have been lurking for quite some time and have found a lot of useful information here; Thank you all.

I just picked up my jb/blk E90 335I about 2 weeks ago - needless to say it's an awesome car.

I'm trying to install a Sirius OEM radio tuner in the trunk. Yes, I've done a search and have referred to the official DIY thread and every other thread I could find. But, I cannot find the Sirius antenna . All 2007 vehicles in Canada are suppose to be prewired for Sirius according to BMW literature.

I have found the MOST connection and four other antennas, none of which will fit into the sirius antenna outlet. Does someone have a photo of the sirius antenna they can post? From what I gather, the antenna may be a pink colour to match the colour of the outlet in the tuner. I don't see a pink coloured antenna in my trunk.

I purchased the radio tuner from Tischer BMW in MD as they're not even available in Canada until perhaps the fall of 2007. Canada is, too often, two steps behind with such things .
335I_JB is offline   Canada
      12-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
335I_JB
President |||

Can someone take a photo?

By the way, I just installed the alarm great DIY instructions on this forum.
      12-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
rlc
Captain

Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '14 F15d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I_JB
Hi,

New member here. I have been lurking for quite some time and have found a lot of useful information here; Thank you all.

I just picked up my jb/blk E90 335I about 2 weeks ago - needless to say it's an awesome car.

I'm trying to install a Sirius OEM radio tuner in the trunk. Yes, I've done a search and have referred to the official DIY thread and every other thread I could find. But, I cannot find the Sirius antenna . All 2007 vehicles in Canada are suppose to be prewired for Sirius according to BMW literature.

I have found the MOST connection and four other antennas, none of which will fit into the sirius antenna outlet. Does someone have a photo of the sirius antenna they can post? From what I gather, the antenna may be a pink colour to match the colour of the outlet in the tuner. I don't see a pink coloured antenna in my trunk.

I purchased the radio tuner from Tischer BMW in MD as they're not even available in Canada until perhaps the fall of 2007. Canada is, too often, two steps behind with such things .
On my 2006 330i there was a velcro wrapped bundle of connectors. I just plugged in an extension cable to one of the connectors (pink plastic covered) as you probably saw in the DIY to connect my XM.

On the 2007 coupe I looked at the bundle of connectors is not present in the same trunk location. I haven't looked at a 2007 sedan. You may have to find a SA or tech who can tell you where the Sat Radio connectors are located on 2007s. It may be something as simple being taped up in the wiring bundle or tucked away under the rear seat - who knows.
      12-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
335I_JB
President |||

Thanks, rlc. I saw your post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...757#post581757 which had some good photos. I still coudln't get a good look at the actual antenna from the vehicle. From one of your photos it looked like you had it plugged into the extension cable connector.

Is your vehicle's Sirius antenna two wires terminating to a pink outlet?

I did find the various antennas bundled in the velcro sleeve. Just can't locate antenna that will fit the OEM Sirius tuner.
      12-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
rlc
Captain

Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '14 F15d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I_JB
Thanks, rlc. I saw your post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...757#post581757 which had some good photos. I still coudln't get a good look at the actual antenna from the vehicle. From one of your photos it looked like you had it plugged into the extension cable connector.

Is your vehicle's Sirius antenna two wires terminating to a pink outlet?

I did find the various antennas bundled in the velcro sleeve. Just can't locate antenna that will fit the OEM Sirius tuner.
I just plugged the male end of an antenna extension cable into ONE of the wires in the pink connector plug. The actual antenna is in the sharkfin. Go to an installer and get antenna lead extension cable long enough to reach your install location.

This is the cable I bought (for XM). The 90 deg. connector goes to the receiver - the male end to the Pink connecors. I'm sure there is similar cable for sirius if this cable doesn't work. http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas...adiostore.html
      12-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
335I_JB
President |||

Thanks again for your reply, rlc. I'm still at a loss though...

I've located the MOST connection, and four antennas in my trunk as seen in post #67 of this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...757#post581757. These four antennas all appear to be plugged into a communications module though for BMW assist, cell phone, etc... (The photos I am referring to are not of my trunk. I do not have the commuication module. I'm only referincing this post to illustrate the colour of antennas I have found).

Looks like there may be a missing pink coloured antenna connection in my trunk for the Sirius satellite. I've found post #1 of this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=sirius+diy which shows a pink coloured antenna. Is this the antenna connector for Sirius OEM tuner?
      12-30-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
335I_JB
President |||

Update

I took my car to the dealer today to activate the alarm I installed. At the same time I had them install the Sirius OEM satelite in the space provided under the trunk floorboard (closer to the front of the car).

Well, it seems the dealer had no problem locating the Sirius antenna. The antenna was not bundled with the communications antennas in the velcro sleeve as I thought it should have been. The Sirius antenna appears to be a shorter - pink coloured - antenna which was also tied togehter with the MOST adapter. Before installation of the satellite it was not visible. It must have been tucked inside the rear seat area where the fibre optics connections are kept, and probably only needed to be pulled through to the trunk.

If I get an opportunity I'll post a photo for anyone who's interested.

Case closed...I now have Sirius satellite controlled through the BMW radio.
      12-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
335I_JB
President |||

by the way, I was charged 1hr labour for sirius install, and 1hr labour for programming.
      01-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
335I_JB
President |||

Photo of the sirius OEM tuner in my trunk. Note the pink coloured antenna connection.
Attached Images

01-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 325i mt

Thanks for the pics JB. I can't find the antenna connection in the trunk either, but all the other cables are in the cloth cover
Jaws is offline   Canada
      01-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
335I_JB
President |||

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
Thanks for the pics JB. I can't find the antenna connection in the trunk either, but all the other cables are in the cloth cover
If your vehicle is a 2006 model year Canadian spec. E90 then it won't, unfortunately, have sat prep.