E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC or Methanol?

10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
e92law
First Lieutenant

Drives: e70

FMIC or Methanol?

FMIC or Methanol?

They both work to reduce intake temperatures, but which is better? Better in terms of performance, ease of install/removal, warranty considerations, etc.

I was planning on going with a new FMIC, but with all of the recent methanol kit development, I am thinking that I should go in that direction instead.

Some background: I live in AZ, so heat is a MAJOR issue.

Thanks guys.
      10-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 09 135 CPE

FMIC for all your concerns. having a meth nozzle plumbed into the intake and a tank in the trunk will raise issues at the dealer. that being said meth is very good at reducing and keep IAT's down, and will make more power overall because you can run higher boost maps on it because of the octane enhancement.
      10-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
GTR-Dad
Driver

Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

A FMIC has fewer moving parts, never runs dry, doesn't ever lose power, and is therefore more reliable. I'd start there and add Meth if I needed more cooling.
Dan
GTR-Dad is offline   Canada
      10-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
A FMIC has fewer moving parts, never runs dry, doesn't ever lose power, and is therefore more reliable. I'd start there and add Meth if I needed more cooling.
Dan
+1

but they do lose power when they get heat soaked
      10-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

FMIC followed by DPs and the meth

Mike
      10-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: pickemuptruck

good question... i am debating this also. And live in Phoenix. I think it does depend on boost expectation, and other mods. originally I was thinking meth, but I don't really plan on DPs, or changing stock intake, so i will be limited on boost, thus FMIC maybe better for me.

my other thoughts pertain to timing. Unless you retard timing, especially in AZ, we will and do bounce of the knock limit even in stock form. Meth cools below ambient, and should keep you away from the stock timing target and thus safer in the long run.

The stock FMIC works very well at 8psi and I would think at 8psi stock=aftermarket FMIC (or close), but at higher boost timing curve changes even with FMIC... so IAT similar to stock, but higher boost... thus timing needs retard. BUT with meth maybe not and less timing worries. I know timing is a huge subject on this board, and i think the DME is designed to locate knock and retard, but i would feel better if i never saw this. We know how the JB and procede work, but wish the flash guys would give more feedback... this would help my decisions. FMIC you have more tunning options.
      10-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

fmic would be the 1st mod I do to any n54
      10-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
e92law
First Lieutenant

The general consensus seems to be for the FMIC. I agree on the moving parts, etc., but it would be interesting to see them tested against each other. No meth specific tune, but dyno runs just comparing the cooling ability of a new FMIC to Meth. I notice a massive drop off in power above 90 degrees or so. Needless to say, at 120 in the summer, it feels like stock.
      10-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
JBiddy
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92law View Post
The general consensus seems to be for the FMIC. I agree on the moving parts, etc., but it would be interesting to see them tested against each other. No meth specific tune, but dyno runs just comparing the cooling ability of a new FMIC to Meth. I notice a massive drop off in power above 90 degrees or so. Needless to say, at 120 in the summer, it feels like stock.
at those temperatures i would not even drive the car hard...
      10-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
e92law
First Lieutenant

I have seen 135 show up on the dash. Not fun.
      10-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

I think evaporative cooling of meth would be far more productive out in AZ. You can't get that cold blowing hot air over an intercooler, and the dry air is particularly receptive to evaporative cooling. You'd probably do well just filing the meth tank with ice water or water in a pinch.

The downsides are dealer issues and that the tank runs dry.

Idea: would it make sense to put your meth injection BEFORE the intercooler? Your total temp drop may not be as much, but the volume of air flowing through the cooler would be less for a give mass flow, which means the turbos wouldn't have to work as hard to make a specific manifold pressure, which means the air wouldn't get as hot to begin with.
      10-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
The downsides are dealer issues and that the tank runs dry.
not sure exactly how the meth nozzle is attached but if you had 2 intake sections 1 with nozzle, 1 stock... not so difficult?? running the lines back and forth each time maybe a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Idea: would it make sense to put your meth injection BEFORE the intercooler? Your total temp drop may not be as much, but the volume of air flowing through the cooler would be less for a give mass flow, which means the turbos wouldn't have to work as hard to make a specific manifold pressure, which means the air wouldn't get as hot to begin with.
boost target is measured in the manifold and colder temps mean less volume, more density... so turbos would work less at same boost with nozzle closest to throttle plate then before IC... right? may depend on where MAF/IAT sensor is located though. right before MAF could lessen turbo load. IF meth was injected inbetween MAF and manifold pressure then target boost would be overshot?? Could this induce throttle closure to decrease boost? boy i'm getting confused.
      10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

First tune, than Dps + Fmic same day like I did,,, wow that made a difference than meth as icing on the cake,,,, and intake when you are bored
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
      10-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
Bomis
Captain

Drives: BMW E92 M3

fmic and dp's...

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Bomis is offline   Sweden